BEST WI-FI EXTENDERS | NOVEMBER 2017
Wi-Fi dead spots in your home or office are frustrating and inconvenient. A Wi-Fi extender can solve the problem. Our team performed extensive research on Wi-Fi extenders to curate this list of great options. Specifically, we looked at extenders for large spaces, extenders for gaming and streaming video and extenders that are easy to set up. To learn more about the things you should consider when purchasing a Wi-Fi extender, see our hand buying guide below. Read more about our methodology.
The ROBERWDERS Victony V750 eliminates dead spots, and it’s great for streaming, which makes it one of the best Wi-Fi extenders on the market. It’s compatible with any router, and the signal penetrates barriers, such as walls.Read full review.
The MECO extender is easy to set up. It has a LED signal indicator that will help you place your device in the most optimal location in your home. You get a router, repeater, and access point modes in one device.Read full review.
Wi-Fi Extenders BUYING GUIDE
Size of home
The first thing you need to consider is the size of the area that you want to extend. If you’re purchasing this device for your house, how big is your house? For small homes, you can use a more basic Wi-Fi extender to eliminate your dead zones. If you have a large home, you may want to consider an extender with dual band connection and antennas that can penetrate through walls, floors, and other barriers.
If you are not a tech junkie, you don’t want to get a Wi-Fi extender with complicated instructions or difficult set up procedure. Look for devices with simple directions and fast set up times. Some of the best devices can be up and running within minutes of you opening the box. These are definitely ones that you want to target because they make life easier for you.
Some of the best devices have signal indicators in the form of LED lighting to let you know the perfect spot in your home or office to set up the device. Placing the Wi-Fi extender in the optimal location will ensure a strong and steady connection throughout the entire area. If your device doesn’t have a signal indicator to help you with this, it’s unlikely that you’ll find the most efficient location.
Strength and speed
One of the final but most important considerations is the speed and strength of your extended Wi-Fi signal. You’ll want an extender that has the capability to handle multiple Wi-Fi devices throughout your entire home. That way you can stream movies, play games, use a computer, and be on your smart phone all at the same time without worrying about losing a signal.
Basic Wi-Fi extenders are available for less than $20. These extenders often perform well in smaller spaces and have fewer features than more expensive models. Most Wi-Fi extenders range from $25 to $45. Wi-Fi extenders with better range and dual band coverage can be had for around $80, while top-of-the-line extenders perfect for gaming, streaming content and multiple devices often exceed $100.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
You can stream videos and play games faster than ever with the ROBERWDERS Victony V750. The powerful signal eliminates Wi-Fi dead zones, and it’s compatible with any router. The signal can penetrate through walls, doors, floors, and other barriers.
Why We Recommend It
- Great for streaming. The ROBERWDERS Victony V750 is perfect for streaming high-definition videos, shows, and movies. You won’t have any lag time while you stream or play games online.
- Eliminates dead spots. The dual band 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio frequencies ensure that you won’t have signal lost in any areas of your home. You can connect your devices in any area of your home without worrying about dead zones.
- Works with any router. This device is compatible no matter what brand, make, or model router you have in your home. Your Victony V750 will expand your existing Wi-Fi signal.
- Penetrates barriers. It has two antennas that strengthen the signal. The extended Wi-Fi connection can penetrate through doors, walls, and floors of your home.
- Instructions need improvement. Some users reported difficulty setting up their device because the instruction manual was unclear or had some errors.
The MECO Wi-Fi extender uses a LED signal locator to help you find a prime location for setting up the device. It has two antennas that can penetrate through walls, doors, and floors of your home. The small device is a router, repeater, and access point all in one.
Why We Recommend It
- Easy installation. You can expand your wireless coverage with the push of a button. The MECO Wi-Fi extender also lets you set it up through nearly any device including iOS devices, Android devices, or browser configuration.
- LED signal indicator. The LED lights will tell you the best location in your home to set up the MECO extender. Putting it in this location will optimize your speed and enhance the Wi-Fi connection throughout the entire area.
- Dual antennas. These antennas help extend the coverage of the Wi-Fi connection in your home. They can penetrate through walls and floors to reach all the rooms in your house and can even expand the coverage to your garage and garden.
- Three different modes. The MECO extender has a router mode, repeater mode, and access point mode. Switch between these modes easily depending on what you want to use the device for.
- Small device. You might be able to get a higher connection speed with a bigger device. But overall, this is sufficient for practical home use.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Wi-Fi Extender for Smaller Spaces
If you live in a smaller home or apartment – especially on a single story – a Wi-Fi extender with a more limited range should be sufficient to eliminate dead spots. Generally, these extenders are compact and easy to set up. Although adequate for smaller spaces, extenders in this category may not perform well for larger areas and buildings with multiple stories.
You can set up your Debbiecty MSRM US302 Wi-Fi extender in under five minutes. It has high-speed capabilities that allow all the devices in your home to function at the same time. Even though it’s small and compact, the rotating antennas can penetrate a signal through floors and walls in a smaller space.
Why We Recommend It
- Easy to set up. You don’t need to be a technical genius to set up the Debbiecty MSRM US302. Over 95% of people have this device up and running within five minutes of opening the package.
- High-speed stability. If you have small home with poor Internet speed, the extender from Debbiecity can help fix your problem. It boosts the connection to all the Wi-Fi devices being used in your home.
- Two rotating antennas. Walls and other structures or obstacles in your home can get easily penetrated with the antennas on the Debbiecty extender. Simply aim the antenna in the direction of a dead zone to get a faster connection.
- Small and compact. You don’t need to worry about a large device taking up space in a small room. The Debbiecty Wi-Fi extender is small, so it’s easy to put it in an area that is out of sight without taking up much room.
- Not great for large spaces. If you have a big home or large office, you will probably have better luck extending your Wi-Fi coverage with another device.
Best Wi-Fi Extender for Larger Spaces
If your house has multiple floors or a sprawling layout, then you’ll want to consider one of these extenders. The signal can reach all the rooms in your house by penetrating through walls, floors, doors, and other barriers. You can even get a Wi-Fi signal in your garage, garden, or yard. If you have a small office with multiple people working on devices, a Wi-Fi extender for larger spaces can enhance the speed of everyone’s connection.
Best Wi-Fi Extender for Gaming and Streaming
Wi-Fi extenders geared toward gaming and streaming video have advanced features, such as MU-MIMO, signal indicators and the ability to run at higher speeds. In addition to being ideal for gaming and streaming, extenders in this category also often work well for larger spaces.
The D-Link DAP-1860 AC2600 has an access point mode that’s perfect for homes set up for an Ethernet connection. It also has a smart signal indicator to help you find the perfect location to place this device. MU-MIMO technology allows you to use multiple devices simultaneously.
Why We Recommend It
- Smart signal indicator. The smart signal indication feature on the DAP-1860 assists you with placing the device the optimal location in your home. This location will boost the Wi-Fi signal throughout the entire home so that you can stream and play games without any lag time.
- Easy to set up. Once you plug it into the wall, you can get started in minutes. Use the mobile application or built-in setup wizard to configure your device and get started right away.
- Access point mode. If your home is pre-wired for Ethernet or extended coverage, the access point mode will help extend the Wi-Fi connection. Wired Ethernet connections to the DAP-1860 make your all of your devices run even faster when you connect to Wi-Fi.
- Multiple devices. It’s great for houses with multiple people and multiple devices. You can have people playing games, streaming movies, and using their cell phones or computers throughout the entire house with this device.
- Confusing configuration modes. If you don’t set up the device on the right mode, it will only work with a wired connection. To connect via Wi-Fi, you need to change those configuration settings.
Best Easy Setup Wi-Fi Extender
Some people love configuring and customizing their IT components. Others do not. If you're in the latter category, you'll be happy to know that there are some great, easy setup Wi-Fi extenders that require little more than taking them out of the box and plugging them in.
The Manni MSRM US300 Wi-Fi extender is small and portable, but it packs a powerful punch. You can eliminate dead spots in your home or office with this device. The installation process is quick and easy. It will take you less than three minutes to get this product up and running.
Why We Recommend It
- Works in homes and offices. This extender is versatile and strong enough for both home and office use. It helps strengthen the Wi-Fi speed and signal for tablets, desktop computers, laptop computers, and smart phones.
- Small and portable. The Manni MSRM US300 is just over five inches long and weighs just under five ounces. You can easily bring this device with you wherever you go to strengthen the existing Wi-Fi of a building’s existing network.
- Eliminates dead spots. Simply set up this Wi-Fi extender halfway between the router and a dead spot in your home or office. The powerful strength of this extender will provide a strong signal to dead zones, which effectively eliminates them and provides coverage throughout the entire home.
- Easy to install. All you need is a standard outlet to power this Wi-Fi extender. Plug it directly into the wall to get started. Once installed, you can have it up and running within minutes with the simple instruction guide.
- Poor technical support. Some users reported problems reaching the company’s tech support team when they had questions or concerns about their device.