BEST VACUUM SEALERS | JANUARY 2018
Vacuum sealers have become very popular in recent years. Because of this, there are many options for potential buyers to choose from. That is why our team has brought together a list of the best vacuum sealers, and separated them into different categories like commercial vacuum sealers and handheld vacuum sealers. For each of our selections we have provided detailed insight into key features such as durability, ease of use, and other things that will help you to make an educated decision when purchasing. Read more about our methodology.
The FoodSaver v4840 vacuum sealer provides everything that you need from a vacuum sealing machine at a reasonable price point, making it our number one pick. With a built-in handheld sealer and many other features, this vacuum sealer really stands out among the competition.Read full review.
The VacMaster Pro380 is a dependable unit that can work for hours with no loss in performance. With features like an extra-long seal bar and heavy-duty vacuum pump, this machine is a great choice -- but it does come at a premium price.Read full review.
The FoodSaver FM200 is an affordable vacuum sealer that cuts operational costs by using bags more efficiently than other models. Despite its low price point, our pick for Best Value has many of the features found in higher-priced models.Read full review.
Best by Category
Best Vacuum Sealer for Liquids
The VacMaster VP112 chamber vacuum sealer provides top quality performance for all of your vacuum sealing needs. Its chamber design makes it possible to vacuum seal liquids, a feat that is not possible with most vacuum sealers.Read full review.
Best Commercial Vacuum Sealer
If you are looking for a chamber vacuum sealer that will consistently perform over an extended period of time, the VacMaster VP215 is an excellent choice. Equipped with a ¼ horsepower rotary oil pump, the durability of this vacuum sealer makes it perfect for all types of commercial environments.Read full review.
Featuring commercial grade quality at a reasonable price, the Weston Pro-2300 is one of the best vacuum sealers on the market. Quick and simple operation coupled with a durable construction makes this product perfect for commercial restaurants.Read full review.
Best Handheld Vacuum Sealer
Coming in a package that fits in the palm of your hand and can easily be taken on the go, the FreshSaver handheld vacuum sealer provides an air-tight vacuum seal in a compact and portable design. This product is perfect for those who have no need for a bulky countertop vacuum sealer.Read full review.
Vacuum Sealers BUYING GUIDE
Vacuuming Process It is important to understand the difference between the two most common types of vacuum sealers, chambered and suction. While suction vacuum sealers remove the air directly from the bag, chamber vacuums have a large chamber that the bag is placed inside of, and then air is removed from the entire chamber. Because of this, only chamber vacuum sealers are able to vacuum seal liquids and liquid-rich foods. If you plan on using your vacuum sealer for liquids of any kind, you should consider purchasing a chambered model.
Durability and Maintenance When searching for a vacuum sealer, you should consider how frequently you will be using it. Many restaurants, hunters, and small businesses will vacuum seal upwards of hundreds of bags every day. However, not every vacuum sealer is going to be capable of this, and if you only plan to use yours casually then you could save some money by going with a less commercial model. Also, some vacuum sealers will have removable drip trays that make cleanup a breeze, or spare parts that you can use after long-term use.
Cost of Bags This is actually a very important factor to consider when looking at vacuum sealers to purchase. Many inexpensive vacuum sealers are only compatible with expensive vacuum bags. While it may not seem like a big deal, if you are going through hundreds or even thousands of these bags, the cost will surely add up. As a general rule of thumb, chambered vacuum sealers are able to use much less expensive bags as opposed to suction sealers.
Versatility Almost every vacuum sealer on the market will bring more to the table than just vacuum sealing. Whether they include accessories that allow for sealing jars and other containers, or simply have an efficient roll storage and bag cutter, it is important to look for what additional features each product provides. Try to find a vacuum sealer that fits your specific needs, whether it is a quiet vacuum pump, compact portable design, or an extra wide seal bar, there are many options for you to choose from.
Under $100 is where you will find the majority of budget vacuum sealers. These are almost exclusively suction type only. They will function well enough, but typically won’t have many additional features. In the $100-$300 range you will find the higher end suction sealers. These are built to be durable and efficient, great for small businesses. Chamber vacuum sealers are the most expensive, ranging in prices from $500-$2000. With liquid sealing capabilities and powerful vacuum pumps, these models offer the highest quality vacuum seal out of them all.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The FoodSaver v4840 is an affordable 2-in-1 vacuum sealer that provides a powerful vacuum seal along with other great features. Among these are customizable bag size, removable drip tray, and even an attached handheld sealer. The addition of this handheld sealer makes it possible to seal zipper bags and marinate your food much more quickly than conventional methods. If you’re looking for a vacuum sealer that has everything you need at a great price, the FoodSaver v4840 is an excellent choice.
Why We Recommend It
Convenient roll storage. This product features an internal compartment for holding rolls of plastic that are to be cut into individual bags. The included bag cutter makes this process very simple and allows you to cut the bag to the exact size that you need. Many consumers have reported a very high bag count per roll, helping to save them money in the long run.
Retractable handheld sealer. Not only does FoodSaver provide a great vacuum sealer with the v4840, it also features an additional retractable handheld sealer. This handheld sealer is great for sealing zipper bags, marinating food quickly, and can even be used to seal jars and other containers with the right attachments. Many reviewers find this to be one of their favorite parts of this machine due to the wide variety of possibilities it brings to the table.
Removable drip tray. Though it is a fairly simple feature, not every vacuum sealer has a removable drip tray. This is especially useful when sealing meats and other foods that contain liquid, as it will collect the liquid that is suctioned out to be easily discarded. The addition of this feature makes this sealer one that you won’t often have to worry about cleaning.
- Ease of use. This vacuum sealer is packed with features that make it incredibly easy to use. It can automatically detect when a FoodSaver bag is ready to be vacuumed or sealed, and can be adjusted based on what type of food you are working with. When sealing delicate foods like fish and soft fruit, you can simply change the speed of the vacuuming process in order to keep these foods intact. Overall, most users are very pleased with how easy to use this unit is and how fresh their food is kept.
- Only works with FoodSaver bags. One downside that a few users speak of is the fact that this machine works best with FoodSaver bags only. These bags are a bit more expensive than other vacuum sealer bags on the market, but the convenience and quality that they provide make them well worth it.
The VacMaster Pro380 suction vacuum sealer is a simple to use and incredibly efficient product. Its extra long 16” seal bar lets you vacuum seal packages of all sizes, and is even capable of sealing two bags at once. Combined with a powerful dual piston pump and cooling fan, this sealer is designed to perform consistently over an extended period of usage. It has earned the runner-up spot for our best overall pick due to its efficiency and durability.
Why We Recommend It
Durable and reliable vacuum sealer. With a stainless steel housing and powerful dual piston pump, it is no doubt that the Pro380 is made to last. The internal cooling fan allows this vacuum sealer to be used for hours on end. Many reviewers use this sealer for commercial use and report that it performs very well.
Simplified control panel. This vacuum sealer features an easy-to-use control panel that simplifies the entire process. Thanks to its programmable settings, you are able to adjust the duration of both vacuum and sealing processes, and a special marinating mode allows for a deep marinade in just a matter of minutes.
Included accessory hose allows for versatility. Not every vacuum sealer provides an accessory port, but the addition of one on the Pro380 makes this product very versatile. You can easily vacuum seal zipper bags, mason jars, and any other containers with the right attachment.
16” seal bar for efficient vacuum sealing. With a 16” seal bar, this product is capable of sealing extra wide bags or even two bags at once. Many reviewers are impressed by the 5mm thick seal that the Pro380 provides, and note that the sealing process is much faster than other products they have tried. Allowing for rapid and durable seals, this product is perfect for anyone who plans on doing a lot of vacuum sealing.
- Some accessories not included. In order to get the most out of the included accessory hose, you must purchase certain attachments. This is not necessarily a downside, but if you plan on using this product for sealing jars you should look into exactly what else you will need.
- The vacuum sealing process is not completely hands-free. When using this vacuum sealer you must hold down the lid for the first few seconds of the process. This is common among suction vacuum sealers, but could hinder some users.
The FoodSaver FM2000 is our pick for best value, and it is quite deservedly so. Not only is this product rather inexpensive compared to other models, but the features it provides are often found in much more costly vacuum sealers. To name a few: the removable drip tray, accessory hose port, and locking latch really set this machine apart from the rest. FoodSaver is known for their high-quality vacuum sealers, and the FM2000 shows that they can still provide this at a reasonable price.
Why We Recommend It
- Uses less bags compared to traditional FoodSaver units. The FoodSaver FM2000 series was specially designed to produce more bags per roll. Made to create less wasted space on the edge, this inexpensive sealer will cut bag costs dramatically. Reviewers that have experience with other vacuum sealers claim that this product is the most bag-efficient sealer they have used. Included in this package are three quart bags, two gallon bags, and an 11”x10” roll.
Included accessory port and hose vacuum. With the addition of an accessory port and included hose vacuum, this machine becomes so much more than just a vacuum sealer. With the right attachment this sealer is capable of sealing jars and other containers, and can marinate your meats in a matter of minutes. This feature is not very common among such inexpensive vacuum sealers.
No mess removable drip tray. Although this is a relatively small feature, many users can attest to the convenience that it provides. When vacuuming meats and other liquid-rich foods, any excess liquid will be neatly collected to be discarded. Rather than having to wipe down the entire machine, simply remove the drip tray and place it on the top shelf of your dishwasher. Overall, this seemingly minor feature is a favorite among many reviewers.
- Simple automatic hands-free vacuum sealing. A common theme among inexpensive vacuum sealers is the fact that you are forced to hold down the lid during the vacuuming process. FoodSaver has eliminated that issue with the FM2000 thanks to the addition of a locking latch top. Simply place the lip of the bag in the vacuum chamber, shut and lock the lid, and press start to begin the hands-free vacuum sealing process.
- No bag cutter included. Unfortunately the FoodSaver FM2000 does not come with a bag cutter. This has disappointed many reviewers who complain that a simple bag cutter should be included with every vacuum sealer.
Our runner-up pick for best value was the Joly Joy 2-in-1 vacuum sealer. This product is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to keep their food fresh and have no need for any additional features. You can cut food costs dramatically by buying in bulk, and its easy-to-use design makes it perfect for anyone who wants a simple vacuum sealer. Overall, this product does everything a vacuum sealer should, and comes at a very low price.
Why We Recommend It
Great for sous vide cooking. In order to fully utilize a sous vide cooker, a good vacuum sealer is an absolute necessity. This vacuum sealer removes the air completely from the bag and leaves an airtight seal, which will help your food to be cooked more evenly. Many reviewers of this product buy it specifically for use with a sous vide cooker, and note that it works perfectly.
Simple automatic vacuum sealing process. Simply load a filled vacuum bag into the chamber and press down both sides to begin the automatic vacuum sealing process. LED indicator lights will let you know when it is finished, and with the manual pause function you can seal the bag early to keep softer foods intact.
Compact size. One of the key selling points of this product is the fact that its design is extremely light and compact. A handful of reviewers simply didn't have room for a larger unit, and found this vacuum sealer to be perfect for their kitchen. After your food is vacuum sealed the unit can be neatly tucked away into any cupboard or drawer.
- Very short cord length. Although this vacuum sealer is very compact and portable, many consumers have complaned that its cord is barely two feet long. Potential buyers should be aware that this product will need to be near an outlet.
- User must hold the lid down during vacuum sealing. A complaint that a few reviewers have shared is the fact that you have to press the lid down during the entire vacuum sealing process. If you only plan to use this product casually it should not be a problem.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Vacuum Sealer for Liquids
While many vacuum sealers are able to seal and store a wide variety of foods and other objects, not all of them have the ability to store liquids. If you often find yourself with leftovers of your favorite homemade soups or other liquid based food, a chamber vacuum sealer is an absolute must-have. These are often the preferred type of vacuum sealer, as the ability to package both wet and dry materials is incredibly useful.
The VacMaster VP112 chamber vacuum sealer is an excellent choice for anyone who is looking for commercial-grade quality, or simply needs the ability to vacuum seal liquids. Its durable design, both inside and out, makes this one vacuum sealer that you won't have to replace anytime soon. With access to inexpensive chamber vacuum bags, liquid sealing capabilities, and a simple user experience, the VP112 is one of our favorite vacuum sealers.
Why We Recommend It
- Liquid sealing capabilities. Unlike most other vacuum sealer designs, the VacMaster VP112 is a chamber vacuum sealer. Rather than sucking the air directly out of the bag, air is removed from the entire chamber. This allows for liquids and liquid-rich foods to be vacuum sealed. Most users report to purchasing this product solely based on the ability to do what others cannot, vacuum seal liquids.
- Durable commercial-grade pump. VacMaster makes commercial-grade chamber vacuum sealers that cost thousands of dollars. This unit actually uses the same pump that is featured in their commercial sealers, ensuring a vacuum seal that you can depend on. A lot of consumers also mention that the pump is much quieter than what they are used to.
- Cost-efficient bags. Rather than having to use specific vacuum seal bags like many other vacuum sealers, this unit uses much cheaper commercial vacuum bags. Users report to spending almost 10 times less money on bags than with other vacuum sealers. Of course these bags are very durable, food safe, and ready to be used with a sous vide cooker.
- Adjustable settings. This sealer allows you to adjust both the vacuum and sealing process depending on your preferences. By default the machine will remove all of the air from the bag, but if you are working with delicate foods you can choose to have less air removed.
- Removable vacuum hose. Included is a removable hose that allows you to vacuum seal jars and other containers if you have the right attachment. This isn't one of the main features that VacMaster highlights but it is quite a useful addition.
- Heavy and bulky design. There is no doubting that this vacuum sealer is quite large. It isn't exactly the type of appliance that you will be moving around too much, and potential buyers that have limited kitchen space might find it hard to find a place for this product.
Best Commercial Vacuum Sealer
Vacuum sealers have been an important tool in the restaurant industry for many years now. Not only do these machines allow for more efficient storage, they greatly increase the shelf life of foods, and are an incredible asset to anyone who utilizes a sous vide cooker. Restaurants of all sizes will benefit greatly from the implementation of a commercial vacuum sealer.
The VacMaster VP215 is one of the best vacuum sealers currently on the market. With a powerful rotary motor and sturdy stainless steel construction, this product is perfect for small businesses and restaurants. This vacuum sealer is designed to perform consistently under prolonged use, and its chambered vacuum technology allows for the vacuum sealing of liquids and liquid-rich foods, as well as access to inexpensive chamber vacuum bags. This product's durability and reliability make it perfect for any commercial setting.
Why We Recommend It
Heavy duty stainless steel construction. With a sturdy stainless steel outer housing sitting at 14”x20”x15” and 84 pounds, this vacuum sealer is designed to last. Inside and out it is made with quality commercial grade components.
Dependable power. Thanks to its ¼ horsepower rotary motor, this product is made to withstand prolonged and continuous use without losing any performance power. Whether you need to seal food for hours on end, or just casually day-by-day, the VacMaster VP215 is sure to impress. Consumers claim that the only maintenance that this product requires is replacing the oil every few months.
Quieter than other vacuum sealers. Though it may be surprising from such a large unit, this product is regarded as being much quieter than other vacuum sealers. This makes it useful for any small kitchens or any business that needs to be conscious of their sound level.
- Very cost efficient bags. Though they tend to be on the more expensive side, all chambered vacuum sealers share the benefit of using inexpensive bags. Many reviewers claim that the money saved on bag costs alone put this vacuum sealer ahead of the competition. For any business or household that plans on going through thousands of vacuum seal bags, this sealer is one of the most economically sound purchases to be made.
No memory save feature. Though this product allows for a good amount of personalization during the vacuum and sealing process, it has no way of remembering your preferred settings. Many reviewers note that it can become tedious having to set their preferences every time.
The Weston Pro-2300 vacuum sealer is highly regarded by experts and everyday consumers alike. With its extra long 15” sealing bar capable of sealing two bags at once and double piston vacuum pump, this vacuum sealer is designed to work quickly and efficiently. It features automatic and manual settings, allowing you to adjust the process depending on your personal preferences. Most importantly, its superb build quality makes this vacuum sealer one that your business or household can depend on for years to come.
Why We Recommend It
Automatic and manual vacuum sealing modes. This vacuum sealer is perfect for sealing a wide variety of foods. With the manual seal mode you are able to adjust the vacuum pressure, allowing for softer foods and objects to be vacuum sealed. Many reviewers note that the automatic mode works perfectly and is a simple one touch operation.
Commercial-grade power at an affordable price. Showcasing a double piston vacuum pump and 935 watts of power, the Weston Pro-2300 delivers a durable airtight seal every time. With the fan cooled motor, this vacuum sealer is able to perform reliably over an extended duration of usage. Its commercial-grade quality surprises many, since the unit is less than half as expensive as many commercial sealers.
Extra large 15” teflon sealing bar. One of the most highly regarded aspects of this vacuum sealer is its extra long sealing bar. It is 15” in length, allowing for extra wide bags, and can even vacuum seal two bags at once. This coupled with the quick vacuum sealing process makes this product perfect for anyone who plans on vacuum sealing in high quantities.
Great for sous vide cooking and quick marinades. This vacuum sealer works great in both restaurant and household environments. Its ability to quickly vacuum seal food makes it perfect for use with a sous vide cooker. You have the ability to prepare all of your meals weeks in advance, and when it comes time to eat simply place the sealed bags in your sous vide cooker and enjoy.
Large and heavy vacuum sealer. The unit itself weighs over 20 pounds and takes up a decent amount of counter space. While many reviewers note that its durability makes up for its size, it is still something to consider for those with limited kitchen space.
Unable to vacuum seal liquids. Being a suction vacuum sealer, the Weston Pro-2300 has trouble with vacuum sealing liquids. It is recommended for those who don’t plan on working with liquid-rich foods.
Best Handheld Vacuum Sealer
If you want the convenience that a vacuum sealer can offer but simply don’t have the space for it, a handheld sealer is exactly what you need. Many handheld vacuum sealers provide the same packing power as traditional units, yet in a smaller package that can easily be tucked away. These sealers are perfect for anyone who needs to pack smaller snacks and meals, getting the job done quicker and more easily than other sealers.
The FreshSaver handheld vacuum sealer is yet another great product coming from FoodSaver. This compact sealer can be used in a variety of different ways, and performs just as well as many traditional sealers. Using durable FoodSaver vacuum zipper bags and deli containers, this miniature device is able to create an airtight seal that is perfect for making quick snacks to-go. Earning our pick for best handheld vacuum sealer, the FreshSaver proves that sometimes great things come in small packages.
Why We Recommend It
Great for quick and easy everyday use. The handheld cordless design of this vacuum sealer makes it great for packing small snacks and lunches quickly. If you plan on having leftovers after lunch, you can easily bring it with you. Many parents love how quick and easy it makes getting lunches ready for their kids in the morning.
Easy to clean overflow nozzle catches excess liquids. Being such a compact design, it is hard to imagine that this sealer would have room to hold excess liquids. However, FoodSaver has proven that they have the customer in mind with the addition of an overflow nozzle. This removable nozzle can simply be removed and placed in the dishwasher, making clean-up a breeze.
Multifunction handheld vacuum sealer. Not only does the FreshSaver function as a handheld vacuum sealer, but it can also be used to seal jars, prepare quick marinades, and even hold electronic devices. A reviewer who works with boats says that he keeps his FreshSaver in his car so that he can vacuum seal his cell phone before work everyday.
Durable and reusable zipper bags. Using multi-ply material and specially designed channels to block air and moisture, these bags ensure maximum air removal. They are made to be reused, and feature a strong double zipper for an airtight seal. The FreshSaver handheld vacuum sealer comes with two medium size bags, and additional bags can be purchased in various different sizes.
- Costly vacuum bags. FoodSaver vacuum bags are notorious for being quite pricey. Although the zipper bags are very durable and reusable, they won't last forever and can be costly to replace.
- Doesn't work with traditional vacuum bags. In order to use this device you must use the zipper vacuum bags. These bags have the potential to be opened accidentally, where traditionally sealed bags are impossible to open without being cut.