BEST TREADMILLS | NOVEMBER 2017
Treadmills are great for people of all ages, sizes, and fitness levels that want to walk, jog, or run in their homes. They are great for increasing cardiovascular stamina, burning calories, and help you stay in shape. Whether you are training for a marathon or trying to lose some weight, there is a need for a treadmill in your home. Our team conducted extensive research to determine the top treadmills in four major categories – best treadmill for runners, best treadmill for monitoring fitness, best treadmill-desk combo, and best manual treadmill. Read more about our methodology.
The Ancheer S8100 has all the features of a top of the line treadmill including a soft cushion running surface, incline capabilities, and an easy folding mechanism. It also has a Bluetooth function that connects to your smartphone and monitors your fitness progress.Read full review.
The Ancheer S8400 has a comfortable running surface and LCD monitor to track your fitness progress without breaking the bank. It has a compact design that folds and rolls for easy storage. You’ll also benefit from a heart rate monitoring feature.Read full review.
Treadmills BUYING GUIDE
Comfortable running surface
When buying a treadmill, you need to make sure that the surface is comfortable for walking, jogging, and running. Look for features like shock absorbing systems, adjustable firmness, and multiple layers. A soft surface decreases the impact on your knees, back, hips, feet, muscles, and joints to reduce pain.
The best treadmills allow you to adjust the incline for a more intense work out. Adjusting the incline level will help you burn more calories. Some treadmills have more incline options than others. You can find ones with preset levels such as 3% and 5% or other models that let you select any grade between zero and 15 degrees.
Fitness tracking features
Try to find a treadmill that tracks your progress of each workout. You’ll want to know the time you’ve been running, the distance traveled, and the amount of calories you’ve burned. Some of the higher quality models will display these numbers on your connected smartphone in addition to their built-in LCD monitor. Some treadmills even come with a heart rate monitor.
Built in workout programs
You can find treadmills that come with pre-set workout programs. These workouts vary depending on what you’re looking to accomplish. Some are for cardiovascular health, while others are focused on burning calories. The varying workout programs are a great option to ensure your time on the treadmill is spent efficiently.
Ability to fold
Treadmills are big, and not everyone has a big enough space in their home to keep a fully assembled treadmill at all times. If you need to clear space between workouts, find a treadmill that folds easily and has wheels to roll into a closet or another room. If you know that you’ll be storing your treadmill frequently, make sure you buy one with the foldable feature.
You can find a high quality manual treadmill for roughly $140. These models are smaller, but functional with features like incline capability and LCD display monitors. Electric treadmills start around $250 and have everything you need for a great workout. For those of you that want a desk station built into your treadmill, you can find a top of the line model starting around $670. If you are a runner or need to monitor your fitness, you’ll find treadmills with heart rate monitors, Bluetooth connectivity, built in programs, lots of incline levels, and a high weight capacity. These treadmills range between $600 and $1300 depending on your personal preference of functions.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Ancheer S8100 comes fully equipped with a Bluetooth feature that connects to your smartphone. You can track your distance, calories burned, and exercise time, while adjusting the incline position to increase the intensity. It has a shock absorbing surface, automatic lubrication system, and easy folds away for storage.
Why We Recommend It
- Shock absorbing running surface. The silicone material helps reduce impact and injury on your knees, back, hips, feet, and muscles. You’ll enjoy a comfortable landing area without having to worry about pain after your workout.
- Bluetooth compatible with smartphones. You can connect your treadmill to a smartphone application that tracks your distance traveled, calories burned, and heart rate. The treadmill also has built in speakers, so you can play music from your device via Bluetooth connection.
- Two-position incline capability. If you want to mix up your workout, you can adjust the incline levels to 3% or 5% to increase intensity. Changing the incline makes the workout more difficult and burns calories faster.
- Easy to fold and transport. The Ancheer S8100 has an innovative space saving design. You can fold up the treadmill and roll it away with the built in wheels. This feature is great for clearing space in a room when you’re not using the treadmill.
- Self-sufficient maintenance system. You don’t have to worry about constantly working on your treadmill to keep it running properly. The S8100 has an automatic lubrication system to add oil between the belt and plate to protect the motor.
- Limited incline positions. You can only adjust the incline level to two different positions. There are other treadmills that have a wider range of incline options.
The Ancheer S8400 has wheels and a folding feature that makes it easy to move and store when you’re not working out. It comes with a heart rate monitor and LCD display screen where you have access to pre-programmed workouts. The five layer running surface is water resistant and sound insulated.
Why We Recommend It
- Foldable and portable. The Ancheer S8400 folds in seconds. It also has rolling wheels so you can move it into a closet or another room with ease. If you need to create space in a room, the compact design allows for easy storage.
- Heart rate monitor. The handgrip has a pulse sensor that allows you to monitor your heart rate. Simply place your thumb on the grip to find out your heart rate and keep it within your target zone.
- LCD display console. A computer monitor shows your speed, distance traveled, workout time, and calories burned. It also has a wide range of pre-set program selections for you to choose from.
- Five layer running surface. Ancheer made this treadmill with a comfortable running surface that’s water resistant and sound insulated. It also has two layers for shock absorption as well as a compression layer.
- Does not incline. While there are many treadmills on the market that have adjustable incline settings, this product is not one of them. If you’re looking to burn extra calories with incline training, this is not the most ideal treadmill for you.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Treadmill for Runners
Competitive runners need to train on a daily basis. Running outside is not always an option due to weather or schedule conflicts. The best treadmills for runners have comfortable running surfaces that are adjustable and can mimic varying terrains. People who run want to keep track of all their fitness progress to reach their goals. If you are a distance runner or sprinter, you’ll be able to take advantage of the different preset programs built into the top of the line treadmills.
The NordicTrack T 6.5 S has a large running surface that is cushioned to reduce the impact while you run. You can track your progress, heart rate, and calories burned with this treadmill as well. It has 20 preset workouts based on your fitness goals and also has varying incline levels to burn more calories.
Why We Recommend It
- Flexible cushioned running surface. The NordicTrack T 6.5 S reduces the impact on a runner’s knees and joints when they workout. It allows you to adjust the firmness of the running deck with a simple turn of the knob based on your personal preference.
- Tracks your progress. There is a 5-inch backlit display built into the treadmill. It monitors your running time, speed, distance, heart rate, and calories burned. You can use this information to create customized workouts in the future.
- Incline training function. You can adjust the incline of your workout between 0 and 10 degrees. The high-powered motor lets you change the angle just by touching a button. Adjusting the incline helps burn more calories.
- Built in workout programs. The NordicTrack T 6.5 S comes with 20 preset fitness programs with different intensity levels based on your fitness goals. It also has a 20”x55” running surface, so users have plenty of room to maneuver.
- Difficult to assemble. Customers reported issues with assembling their machine. Some reported that they damaged wires while they were putting it together.
Best Treadmill for Monitoring Fitness
If you have specific weight loss or training goals, you’ll want a treadmill that can help you along the way. These products are great for tracking all your workouts so you can monitor your progress. They will tell you how long you’ve been running, the speed, and distance traveled. Built-in heart rate monitors help you stay within your designated training zone to maximize the efficiency of your fitness goals. You can also take advantage of treadmills that connect to monitoring applications on your smartphone.
The LifeSpan TR3000i has a cushioned running service to give your joints a comfortable workout. It has a guided console navigation feature to monitor your fitness and it has the capability to sync up with your smartphone. This LifeSpan model has varying incline levels, programming options, and a lifetime warranty.
Why We Recommend It
- Shock absorbing running surface. There are 8 compression shock absorbers built into the treadmill. These provide a cushioned landing area to minimize stress, damage, and pain on your knees, back, and other joints. It also has 15 different incline levels.
- Guided console navigation. This LifeSpan model tracks and records every step you take. It’s a great feature for monitoring your activity level and making sure you reach your fitness goals. It also tracks your heart rate, distance, calories burned, and speed.
- Compatible with smart phones. You can sync your smart phone with the treadmill to track and monitor your activity data. Merging your information with your phone helps accurately record your fitness progress when you’re off the treadmill as well.
- Multiple programming options. There are 21 pre-loaded workout programs on the LifeSpan TR3000i. These programs vary based on your goals, such as cardiovascular strength, overall health, and fat burning.
- Lifetime warranty. The motor and frame have a lifetime warranty, and the running surface can hold up to 800 pounds of user weight. LifeSpan shows its customers that their product is high quality and built to last.
- Glitches with emergency stop. Some customers reported problems with the emergency stop cord. It’s sensitive and the treadmill stopped on its own without them pulling on the cord.
Best Treadmill-Desk Combo
For those of you that want to stay active while you’re getting work done, you should consider a treadmill that has a desk feature. You can walk and work on your computer for business or pleasure. Sitting in a chair all day can be painful for your hips, neck, and back. The ability to stand up and walk while you’re working allows you to multi-task. These are also great options for people that want to watch television shows or movies on their tablet while they workout.
You can work on your computer or tablet while you walk on the Exerpeutic 2000. The large built-in desk has outlets for all your electronic devices, and the LCD display monitor tracks your fitness progress. This treadmill also has a durable heavy-duty frame and motorized incline adjustment feature.
Why We Recommend It
- Heavy duty reinforced frame. The Exerpeutic 2000 is made from high quality materials that are durable and long lasting. It can accommodate users up to 400 pounds, so you know that it’s built to last.
- Motorized incline adjustment. You can add an incline to your workout to make it more challenging and target different muscle groups. The settings range from 0 to 15 percent, so you have plenty of options based on personal preference.
- Large built in desk. This treadmill comes with a desk that is 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. There is plenty of room accommodate your computer, phone, and notepads. The desk also has outlets to plug in or charge your electronic devices.
- Metal tablet stand. The desk also has a flip up stand for your tablet. If you don’t want to put your computer on the desk, the tablet stand is the perfect size for an iPad or Kindle, so you can read or watch a movie while you workout.
- LCD computer display. The built in computer monitor tracks the amount of calories you burned during your workout. It also shows the elapsed time, distance walked, speed, and has a heart pulse monitor.
- Can’t adjust height of desk. The desk height is not adjustable, so it’s not perfect for shorter people or taller people.
Best Manual Treadmill
Manual treadmills are a great option for people that are looking to save some money on their purchase. You don’t need electricity to use a manual treadmill and you can still benefit from a great workout. These machines are quiet, and still have features such as adjustable incline levels and LCD monitors to track each workout. The best manual treadmills are smaller, so they won’t take up too much space in your house if you have limited room.
The Exerpeutic 100XL magnetic resistant manual treadmill can handle users with all body sizes with its 325-pound weight capacity. It has safety features such as the extra long security handles and pace control magnetic tension. The LCD monitor tracks your fitness progress for each workout, and the different incline settings can increase the difficultly level.
Why We Recommend It
- Extra long safety handles. The Exerpeutic 100XL has safety handles that are more than twice the length of standard treadmills. The added length gives you extra security and balance to ensure a safe workout.
- High maximum weight capacity. This manual treadmill has been tested to withstand user weights up to 325 pounds. The high capacity enforces its durability and high quality. It’s great for great for people of all ages and body sizes.
- Pacer control magnetic tension. Exerpeutic’s 8 level magnetic tension systems stabilize the treadmill, which makes it safe and easy for walking hands-free. The feature also provides different levels of difficulty.
- LCD display monitor. The built in LCD computer screen displays your distance walked, calories burned, elapsed time, speed, and heart rate. All these features help track your workout to maximize the efficiency.
- Three incline level settings. You can quickly and easily adjust the incline of this treadmill. Set the incline to 8, 10, or 15 degrees to add difficulty and versatility to your workout.
- Not easy to assemble. Some customers complained that they had trouble assembling their treadmill. Pieces did not line up perfectly, so locking pins into place was tedious. However, Exerpeutic offers expert assembly for at an upgraded price.