BEST TRAVEL MUGS | NOVEMBER 2017
Americans consume 400 million cups of coffee per day but not everyone has time to relax and enjoy it. For most of us, grabbing a coffee or tea to go is the only way to get out the door on time, making travel mugs a necessary accessory to our morning routines. Considering the most important factors involved in keeping your favorite beverage tasting the way it should, including temperature retention, durability, cleanliness, and convenience, we have curated a list of the best travel mugs on the market. Read more about our methodology.
There is always a brand that stands above the rest, and when it comes to travel mugs, Zojirushi is it. The Zojirushi SM-SC48 is a light-weight, highly durable, and very affordable mug, featuring double-walled, vacuum seal technology and a 2-step lid release that keeps your favorite beverage piping hot for up to 6 hours, and won’t leak or spill.Read full review.
Coffee is already expensive, and you shouldn’t have to pay even more to enjoy your favorite beverage. The MateoJo 14oz Insulated Travel Mug is well-designed, highly durable, and extremely affordable. This fashionable mug features double-walled, vacuum seal technology, a leak-proof lid, and a no friction lock that makes it easy to drink out of but difficult to spill.Read full review.
Travel Mugs BUYING GUIDE
The most important concern when choosing a travel mug is how good it is at keeping your coffee hot (or cold). While most claim they can maintain the same temperature for hours, many end up losing their heat after about 30 minutes. The best travel mugs are double-insulated and keep your favorite beverage hot for as long as 6-8 hours, or cold for up to 24.
When you’re in a hurry, you don’t always pay as much attention to things as you should. We’ve learned to put cases on our smartphones to protect ourselves against our own clumsiness, so why not your favorite mug? Most high-end travel mugs are made of stainless steel and shouldn’t break or even dent when dropped on hard surfaces.
Convenience is a pretty big part of helping you get out the door without having to sacrifice your morning coffee. As a result, you need a mug that not only keeps your coffee hot until you get to work, but won’t spill all over you on the way. A good travel mug will come with a leak-proof seal that keeps your coffee hot, and your work clothes clean.
Some of us prefer venti, some prefer tall, and some don’t frequent Starbucks and have no idea what that means. Regardless, you need a mug that will keep you satisfied no matter how much coffee you drink. Standard sizes tend to be 12oz, 16oz, 20oz, and 30oz. Most high-end mugs offer multiple options, but for the largest sizes, you might consider a handle.
Easy to Clean
Plastic mugs have a tendency to leave an unwanted after taste when used repeatedly, and ceramic mugs are easy to break. Stainless steel mugs, on the other hand, are easy to clean and are less apt to leave any residue behind. Keep in mind that many high-end models are not dishwasher safe.
Not all mugs are created equal. Before making a purchase, you might consider whether you prefer a mug with a handle or a special grip. Some feature tea infusers or include special cleaning brushes. Depending on the type of beverage you prefer, and how much you want to consume, keep an eye out for the type of accessories that will best accommodate your needs.
Travel mugs are generally pretty affordable, but like most things, you often get what you pay for. Most high-end mugs are made of stainless steal and feature double-walled, vacuum seal technology, as well as a leak-proof lid. In order to check those boxes, you rarely have to spend more than $10-$15. However, if you prefer additional features like detachable handles, safety locks, or simply greater options when it comes to colors and sizes, it can end up costing as much as $20-$30 but those tend to be very durable and last a long time.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
Zojirushi is the most popular brand in the beverage container game, and the SM-SC48 is their crowning achievement. Sleek and narrow, the SM-SC48 is made of BPA-free stainless steel and features vacuum seal technology that keeps your favorite beverage piping hot for six hours or longer. A 2-step lid release prevents leakage and accidental spills, while a specially designed air vent allows beverages to flow out smoothly for superior consumption.
Why We Recommend It
- Vacuum Insulation. The Zojirushi SM-SC48 features vacuum seal technology that keeps your favorite beverage at 189 Degree for 1 hour, 160 Degree for 6 hrs, or if you prefer it cold, you can enjoy your favorite iced beverage for up to 24.
- Safety Lock. Zojirushi mugs feature a specially designed safety lock to prevent the lid from opening accidentally
- Safe and Environmentally-Friendly. The Zojirushi SM-SC48 is made of BPA-free plastic and stainless steel, which is safe to use and easy to clean.
- 5-year warranty. The Zojirushi SM-SC48 offers a 5-year warranty on heat retention, so you never have to worry about it losing steam.
- 2-Step Lid Release. The 2-step lid release prevents leakage, spillage, and excess condensation.
- 3 Sizes and 7 Colors. The Zojirushi SM-SC48 comes in 12oz, 16oz, and 20oz sizes, as well as seven colors, including slate gray, black, cinnamon gold, clear red, coral pink, pearl pink, and turquoise blue.
- Tall and Narrow. Some of those who purchased the mug complain that the design is too tall and narrow, particularly for shallow cupholders.
- Hand Wash Only. While the Zojirushi SM-SC48 is easy to clean by hand, it is not dishwasher safe.
You can’t get more bang for you buck than with this 14oz, stainless steel, vacuum sealed travel mug. One of the highest rated travel mugs on Amazon, the MateoJo Insulated Travel Mug keeps beverages hot for up to 6 hours, doesn’t leak or spill, is easy to clean, and features a no friction lock that prevents the lid from getting in the way. At this price, you’ll want one for yourself, and a few more for your friends and family.
Why We Recommend It
- Vacuum Seal Technology. The MateoJo travel mug is made of insulated stainless steal and keeps hot drinks hot for up to 6 hours, and cold drinks cold for up to 24.
- Automatic Lid Lock. The lid automatically locks when opened so that it doesn’t get in the way when you’re ready to take a sip.
- Leak-Proof. All high-end travel mugs should be leak-proof, and the MateJo Insulated Travel Mug is no exception.
- Satisfaction Guarantee. MateoJo offers a 100% no questions asked satisfaction guarantee on all their products.
- Only One Color and Size. The modern “bicycle bean” design is unique, but it’s your only option when it comes to this particular travel mug.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Stainless Steel Travel Mug
Stainless steel is considered a superior material for many different products and appliances, and travel mugs are no exception. Stainless steel mugs tend to be easier to clean, are double-insulated to keep heat in (or out), and do not leave an unwanted aftertaste despite repeated use. They are also much more durable and will last a lot longer.
Best Travel Mug with Tea Infuser
Coffee isn’t for everyone. When curating a list of the best travel mugs available, it was important to consider those who prefer tea. Short of a French press, you can’t brew your own coffee on the road, but with tea you definitely can. The best travel mugs offer both options, are easy to clean, and won’t leave an unwanted coffee taste when switching to tea.
The Vremi 17oz Travel Thermos is specially designed for tea drinkers with a built-in tea infuser that allows you to steep on the go. Double-walled, vacuum seal technology keeps your beverage piping hot for hours on end, and an airtight lid and rubber lip prevent it from leaking and make it easy to drink out of but difficult to spill. Offered in multiple colors, it’s the best travel mug on the market for those who want something more than coffee.
Why We Recommend It
- Double-Walled, Vacuum Seal Technology. Like all the best travel mugs, the Vremi Travel Thermos is designed to keep your beverage at a your desired temp for hours on end.
- Airtight Lid. An airtight lid with rubber lip allows you to toss your coffee or tea in your bag without worrying about leakage as you go about your day.
- Built-In Tea Infuser. The main feature that sets this travel mug apart is a built-in tea infuser, which allows you to steep your own tea while you’re on your way to work.
- Multiple Colors. The Vremi 17oz Travel Thermos is offered in black, blue, pink, and red.
- Only 1 Size. The Vremi Travel Thermos is offered in multiple colors but only a 17oz size.
Best Travel Mug with Handle
Generally speaking, travel mugs with handles are less popular than those without. But depending on the size of coffee you drink, and where you prefer to drink it, a handle can definitely come in handy.
Best Extra-Large Travel Mug
20oz is about as much as you can get in a single coffee purchased at a cafe but for most of us, that means more than one per day. If you plan to bring your own coffee to work, you want it to last all day, and an extra-large mug that holds at least 30oz is going to be your best option.
Depending on your daily routine, sometimes one coffee isn’t enough. The Hero Donation HD 30oz Stainless Steel Tumbler is perfect for anyone who wants save time refilling. Made of 18/8 Food Grade Stainless Steel, the HD 30oz Tumbler is BPA-free, eco-friendly, and won’t break or dent. Its double-walled, vacuum seal and copper lining technology will keep your drink hot (or cold) for hours without leaking, and if that weren’t enough, it includes 2 lid types, a metal straw, and a cleaning brush for added convenience.
Why We Recommend It
- Extra-Large Container. Most travel mugs only hold up to 20oz of liquid, but the HD Tumbler holds up to 30oz.
- Double Walled and Copper Lined. The HD 30oz Tumbler features double-walled, vacuum-seal and copper-lining technology for superior temperature retention.
- 2 Lid Types. The tumbler offers both a standard lid, as well as a slider, making it more versatile than most travel mugs on the market.
- Additional Straw, Handle, and Cleaning Brush. Unlike most high-end travel mugs, the HD 30oz Tumbler features a stainless steel straw, a detachable handle, and a cleaning brush for added convenience.
- Multiple Colors. The HD 30oz Tumbler is offered in multiple colors, including stainless steel, camo, matte black, and blue.
- A Good Cause. All H
- Only 1 Size. The HD 30oz Tumbler is built to hold more liquid than most travel mugs and is not offered in a smaller size.