BEST TOWER FANS | NOVEMBER 2017
Chances are you don't think much about tower fans – until you're in a hot, stuffy room and you want some relief. And when that time comes, you'll want to have the best tower fan for your particular situation. To that end, our team performed extensive research to curate the list of great tower fans that appears below. And if you want to learn more about tower fans, be sure to check out our buying guide, which explores tower fan topics such as power, speed settings, noise level and more. Read more about our methodology.
With a great range, high reach, and plenty of options, the Lasko 2554 is a great tower fan for a range of different settings. It’s also quiet on each of its 3 settings and included fresh-air ionizer make it an easy top pick when combined with its other features.Read full review.
The Seville Classics UltraSlimline is a perfect fit for people looking to cool their space when they don’t have as much room to spare. Standing at 17 inches tall, this tower fan has 3 modes and oscillates at a flexible, 80-degree angle.Read full review.
Tower Fans BUYING GUIDE
Power is one of the most important factors to consider when purchasing a tower fan. If you have a large room that you need to cool down, you aren’t going to want to purchase a tower fan meant for smaller spaces, and vice versa. First, consider the size of the area you want to cool down. Then, purchase a fan that is appropriately powered for that space.
Many tower fans have the option to change speed settings. If the fan you purchase has more speed settings, you have more flexibility in the way you cool down your living space. Be aware that the different levels of speed can vary greatly from fan to fan. What may be a “high” setting on one fan may not be as powerful as you think on a different fan.
The very act of circulating air around a room is going to cause some natural noise, but you’ll also want to be aware of how much noise is coming from the fan itself. The noise level you are comfortable with is really based on your personal preferences. Some fans are mostly silent, some produce a comfortable level of white noise, and some are noisy.
Build and Design Quality
You should expect to find an oscillation feature on any tower fan your purchase, which enhances the flow of air throughout your living space. However, having a tower fan in constant movement means there’s always a possibility of it breaking. This is why it’s important to purchase a fan that is built to be sturdy. Form factor and looks are also important. Most of the time, tower fans are in the open, so you might want to consider what the fan looks like and how that look will flow with the look of your living area.
For less than $50, you can get a budget tower fan. These fans are typically smaller than their more expensive counterparts, and are often smaller, as well. You’ll also find that budget tower fans offer fewer speed settings and a lower level of power. The tower fans you can purchase in the $50-100 range will satisfy the needs of most consumers and typically offer a good amount of power. The speed settings in this range still vary, but they tend to be sturdier and more powerful. The higher-end tower fans, above $100, offer more speed settings, more power, and are often much quieter than their cheaper counterparts.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Lasko 2554 is a 42-inch tower fan with an ionization function that you don’t see in most tower fans. It offers good power for circulating air around most average-sized rooms, and it offers plenty of flexibility when it comes to speed settings and timer options. These features, combined with the ionization feature, make this tower fan a great choice for the average consumer.
Why We Recommend It
- Ionizer. The Lasko 2554 comes with an ionizer built into the fan itself, which is a huge feature to have in a tower fan, especially at its price range. The ionizer purifies the air the fan circulates, making your room feel better than it did before.
- Classic design appeal. This tower fan is designed to look good. With sleek curves and elegant wood paneling, the Lasko 2554 is dressed to impress. Standing at 42 inches tall, this fan will look good anywhere you place it in your living space.
- Range of settings. You have three different speed settings and a wide variety of sleep timer options. With the sleep timer, you can set a time for the fan to shut down. The Lasko 2554 allows you to set a timer anywhere from half an hour to seven and a half hours, giving you greater control over how your room is cooled.
- 90-degree oscillation. This tower fan can oscillate at an impressive 90-degree angle, which is greater than many of the same fans in the same price range. This wider angle allows you to place the fan almost anywhere in your room and still expect to feel air.
- Not as durable and harder to clean. You may find that this tower fan is harder to clean than other tower fans. You may also find that it isn’t quite as sturdy as other fans, meaning you’ll need to be more careful when moving it around.
The Seville Classics UltraSlimline is a perfect fit for people looking to cool their space when they don’t have as much room to spare. Standing at 17 inches tall, this tower fan has 3 modes and oscillates at a flexible, 80-degree angle.
Why We Recommend It
- Quiet on every speed setting. Because its smaller, this tower fan is also a lot quieter than most larger tower fans. Each speed setting is quiet enough not to disturb you during normal use. Most fans are much louder on the highest setting, but this tower fan stays quiet even on its highest speed.
- Small and compact. The small design of the Seville Classics Ultraslimline makes it a perfect choice for someone looking to cool down a smaller space. The fan leaves a footprint of less than 1 sq. ft. and its design makes it inconspicuous and unobtrusive.
- Decent number of settings. While it doesn’t have nearly as many speed or timer settings as more expensive fans, you still get three of each with this Seville tower fan. You have the standard three speed settings: low, medium, and high. You also have a sleep timer than can automatically shut down after 1, 2, or 4 hours.
- No remote. You’ll need to manually turn the Seville Classics Ulraslimline on and off, as there is no remote included with the unit.
- Not as powerful. Because this fan is a smaller tower fan, it’s not as powerful as other tower fans on this list. Don’t expect it to circulate air around an area larger than your standard office workstation.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Tower Fan for Large Rooms
If you have a house or office with a large room, you know just how difficult it can be to cool the room down. Many tower fans just don’t have the guts it takes to cool down larger rooms. They can’t circulate the air well enough to make a difference. Tower fans in this category likely have more speed settings than other fans and can operate with more power.
The Ozeri Ultra Wind Fan’s biggest selling point is its ability to quietly circulate air around a large room due to its impressive 6 speed settings and 90-degree oscillation angle. It also includes a room temperature display and easy-to-use remote control.
Why We Recommend It
- Powerful and flexible. This tower fan is one of the most powerful tower fans in this price range. It can easily circulate air around larger rooms and make it seem easy. The fan also oscillates at a 90-degree angle, making it flexible to use in most situation.
- Quieter than most. It’s surprising when a powerful fan can be so quiet at the same time. Even at its highest speed setting, the Ozeri Ultra Wind tower fan uses its Noise Reduction technology to produce cooling power at the lowest noise level possible.
- Wide variety of settings. The Ozeri Ultra Wind boasts an incredibly wide range of settings. To start, the fan offers six different speed settings, three of which are “whisper quiet” settings. You can also set the sleep timer at increments of one hour, up to 12 hours. You can control all of these settings with the long range remote that comes with the fan.
- Incredible design aesthetic. This tower fan doesn’t only work well, it looks good, too. With a sleek, modern design, this fan can also be adjusted from 32 inches tall to 42 inches tall, giving you even more flexibility to cool your larger rooms. It’s ultra-thin, making it easy to place anywhere.
- Slightly unstable base. The base of this tower fan is slightly more unstable than we’d like to see on tower fans that are more powerful and expensive than others. It seems as if the base of the fan is made from plastic that is more lightweight than other fans.
Best Quiet Tower Fan
Many people use tower fans to cool down their living spaces during the night, when they’re trying to sleep. As such, having a quiet tower fan that is still powerful can be just as important as powerful fans that run on high power all day. When looking for a quiet tower fan, you’ll need to consider noise and power simultaneously.
When it comes to silence, flexibility and power are both important. The Honeywell HY-280 QuietSet gives you the flexibility of power at 8 different speed levels, all while staying as quiet as possible. The fan also includes a digital display, an adjustable thermostat, and a variety of sleep timer settings.
Why We Recommend It
- Silence without sacrificing power. Sometimes to get quiet cooling, you have to sacrifice power. This is not the case with the Honeywell HY-280 QuietSet. The fan is designed to stay quiet during operation, but still give you the level of cooling you should expect from a tower fan.
- Plenty of speed options. The Honeywell HY-280 QuietSet boasts an incredible 8 different speed settings to give you the maximum amount of comfort and flexibility. With this many options, there isn’t as large of a difference between speed settings, meaning you can tailor your cooling experience to your needs.
- Thermostat. With a thermostat built in to the unit, you have more control over how cool you want your room to get while using this tower fan. When you set a temperature, the fan will automatically change speeds and power based on the that temperature and cool the room accordingly.
- Easy to use. With a simple control panel located at the top of the fan and an intuitive remote, the Honeywell HY-280 is incredibly easy to use. The remote has six, clearly labeled buttons that allow you to control speed settings, timers, and oscillation functionality. The control panel on top of the fan is also easy to use, with clearly labeled buttons that also control the functions listed above.
- Bright LCD panel. While the LCD panel is particularly helpful for control, it is very bright, and can be very bothersome in the dark. This is especially important to consider if you want to use this fan in your bedroom at night.
Best Tower Fan with Ionizer
Tower fans are all about pushing air, but if they include an ionizer, they are able to purify the air that they circulate, as well. Tower fans with ionizers vary in speed settings and sleep timer intervals just as much as other tower fans do, so you’ll want to give special consideration to how well the ionizer works to purify the air.
The Honeywell Fresh Breeze HY-048BP includes an ionizer, three speed settings, and decent amount of sleep timer options. With a programmable thermostat and a 90-degree oscillation range, this tower fan is a solid option for consumers looking to purify the air as they circulate it around their living area.
Why We Recommend It
- Ionizer. One of the best features of the Honeywell Fresh Breeze HY-048BP the built-in ionizer. Ionizers use electrically charged air molecules to purify polluted or otherwise “dirty” air in your living space. This tower fan’s ionizer works like a charm, although it isn’t as powerful as a dedicated air purifier, which is to be expected.
- Standard speed settings. This tower fan includes three different speed settings, which is standard for tower fans. However, it also includes a “breeze” option, which alternates between the three different speed settings, which is supposed to simulate how a breeze would blow naturally. You also have the option to set the sleep timer anywhere between 1 hour and 12 hours, which is a good variety.
- Adjustable height. You can adjust the fan’s height from 32 inches to 42 inches, which allows for great flexibility in cooling larger rooms. Having a taller setting means you can reach over taller furniture and still get a decent breeze in the room.
- Adjustable thermostat. The Honeywell Fresh Breeze HY-048BP has an adjustable thermostat which allows you to choose a temperature and have the fan automatically adjust its speed setting to cool the room down to that temperature.
- Limited remote range. The tower fan’s remote control tends to have a limited range, which means less flexibility in controlling the fan when you’re using it in larger spaces.
Best Bladeless Tower Fan
Bladeless tower fans are the next big advancement in fan technology. These fans don’t require any moving parts to circulate air throughout a room. They are often quieter and longer lasting, as well, since there aren’t as many moving parts that can break. Bladeless fans also typically offer a wider variety of speed and other control settings.
The Dyson Air Multiplier AM07 is sleek, safe, and powerful. Featuring bladeless technology, this fan has 10 different speed settings and robust sleep timer intervals. The fan is also one of the quieter tower fans on the market, due to its lack of moving blades, and oscillates at an impressive 90-degree angle.
Why We Recommend It
- Safer than tower fans with blades. One of the best features of the Dyson AM07 is how safe it is. Even though you may think you can’t put your hand through the loop of the fan where the airflow is pushed through, you most definitely can. Because you don’t need to fear for injury, you can place this fan virtually anywhere in your home without having to worry about it causing injury to you, kids, or pets.
- Quiet and powerful. Even though you’ll still experience some natural noise of blowing air, especially at higher speeds, this tower fan is extremely quiet compared to its bladed counterparts. And it doesn’t sacrifice any power in order to achieve that level of quiet.
- Impressive speed settings and control. The Dyson Air Multiplier AM07 features a very impressive range of 10 different speed settings. This means you can tailor your airflow to fit your specific needs at any given moment. You also have plenty of sleep timer options ranging from 15 minutes to 9 hours, giving you the maximum level of control. The fan also oscillates at a 90-degree angle, making it very versatile.
- Incredibly easy to clean. Since the fan doesn’t have blades that are moving all the time, it won’t collect dust as much. The open design allows you to clean the fan with ease without having to worry about nooks and crannies.
- Price. There’s no doubt about it. The Dyson AM07 is a pricier tower fan. With a price much higher than most tower fans on the market, this fan sits itself down in the luxury tower fan department.
- Infrared remote. While the remote itself is easy to use and conveniently stored using a magnetic connection to the fan, it uses infrared technology to control the fan. This means that you’ll need a direct line of sight to the fan in order to control it, which limits your control to an extent.