BEST TOOL BAGS | JULY 2020
A tool bag is an essential product for any home handyman or professional contractor, no matter what industry you service. Tool bags offer a comfortable and easy way to carry around the variety of tools you may have in your arsenal. Our team has compiled a list of the best tool bags on the market today so you can get to work on your projects faster without having to worry about spending too much time finding the right fit for your needs. All of our reviews cover key features for all tool bags, such as carrying capacity and durability, to better help you make the right choice. Make sure to also read our buying guide, which explains more about the key considerations you should make and prices you should pay before buying a new tool bag. Read more about our methodology.
With its huge storage capacity, durability and comfort, the Custom LeatherCraft 1539 is a great choice for anyone looking for a high-quality tool bag. These qualities made this tool bag an easy choice for our top pick and can handle even the most heavy-duty of jobs.Read full review.
The DEWALT DG5543 is a great runner-up choice to our top pick because of its convenience in the number of pockets and compartments the bag offers. It's a simple and durable bag that's sure to fill the needs of most people looking to purchase a reliable tool bag.Read full review.
The Stanley STST70574 is sturdy and compact, making it a great choice for an at-home tool bag for someone on a budget. While it can't handle larger power tools, it's the perfect size for small- to medium-sized tools. It's also a durable and sturdy option.Read full review.
This tool bag is a great budget choice for someone looking for more storage capacity. While the tool bag doesn't offer many pockets for smaller tools, it has plenty of space for larger power tools and convenient straps for storing batteries and other items. It also features a wide-mouth opening for easier access.Read full review.
Best by Category
Best Rolling Tool Bags
The Klein Tools 55452RTB offers a convenient and unique solution to your tool storage needs. With its wheels and handle, this rolling tool bag makes it easy to carry around larger and heavier tools without having to hurt your back or arms. It's also extra durable so you don't have to worry about it wearing out quickly.Read full review.
Best Backpack Tool Bags
This backpack tool bag is convenient and sturdy, making transport to and from jobs easier and more comfortable for you. The bag also features a convenient, built-in LED light so you can more easily find tools and work in the dark. The large internal storage capacity also makes this a great choice for someone with a lot of tools.Read full review.
This Custom LeatherCraft backpack tool bag is a great choice for anyone looking for a sturdy and super-convenient option for carrying and storing their tools. With its numerous pockets and easy-to-access compartments, this tool bag is a very reliable option.Read full review.
Best Bucket Tool Bags
This bucket tool bag is a great choice for anyone who needs a simple option with easy access to any tool in the bag at any given time. It features plenty of convenient pockets and compartments for easy storage of smaller tools and parts. It's also incredibly durable and comfortable to carry around.Read full review.
This unique bucket tool bag is sturdy and super portable, making it a great choice for storing parts and small tools. You can easily fit three or four of these bags in a single 5-gallon bucket, making it even more portable than most other tool bags. It also features a convenient ripcord feature that allows you to close the bag entirely to safely secure the tools and parts inside.Read full review.
Tool Bags BUYING GUIDE
One of the first considerations you should make when looking to purchase a tool bag is how many tools and parts the bag you purchase can hold. If you are a home handyman, you may only need a small, compact bag, but it you’re a working professional who needs the whole arsenal of tools, a larger bag is essential. You should also consider the organization and variety of storage pockets and pouches in the bag you buy. Larger bags typically offer more organization and structure, while smaller bags don’t.
At-home tool bags don’t need to be extra durable, typically, but if you’re going out on a construction site, you’ll likely need a tool bag that can handle rough conditions. Most tool bags are made of a durable polyester fabric, but some also feature extra-durable zippers and stitching for greater longevity. You may also want to consider whether the bag is weatherproof, especially if you mostly work outside.
Comfort and Portability.
Tools can get heavy, and if you carry a lot of them around at any given time, it can get difficult. Most tool bags are designed with some level of comfort in mind, but some are designed with extra padding on the shoulder straps and handles. You should also consider how portable you want your tool bag to be. If it mostly stays in one spot, portability isn’t as big of a concern, but if you’re always on the move, you’ll want a tool bag that is more portable and comfortable than other bags.
Extra convenience features.
Ask yourself what other features you would find useful in a tool bag. Some tool bags provide extra convenience features like built-in flashlights or wide-mouth designs. If these features are important to you, take time to consider whether the extra features are worth the sometimes increased costs.
For under $20, you can buy a budget tool bag. These tool bags are typically smaller and simpler than their more-expensive counterparts. These bags are best for at-home tools and often aren’t durable enough for heavy use. In the $20-$50 range, you can get a tool bag that works for most people. These tool bags offer more storage capacity and durability. Tool bags over $50 offer tons of storage space, extra-durable designs and extra convenience features like built-in flashlights. They’re typically weatherproof and offer more structure for added accessibility.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Custom LeatherCraft 1539 is a durable and versatile tool bag that offers a huge variety of pockets and carrying compartments without sacrificing durability or style. This tool bag can handle heavy duty lifting with ease and even provides a greater level of comfort for you while doing it. With all these features, it’s easy to see why the Custom LeatherCraft 1539 is our Top Pick tool bag. If you choose this tool bag, you’ll be pleased with the level of quality and usability it provides.
Why We Recommend It
- Impressive carrying capacity. The Custom LeatherCraft 1539 offers an incredible amount of carrying capacity with one large internal compartment, two external compartments with 18 pockets each and 7 external pockets. This allows you to carry a variety of hand tools and larger power tools without worrying about space. Many users are impressed with just how many tools this tool bag can fit.
- Incredibly durable. Being able to carry so many tools at once may also come with its downside when it comes to durability. The Custom LeatherCraft 1539 is incredibly durable, made from a heavy-duty polyester fabric, trim and binding. Some users were surprised that the tool bag held up even when placed used with increasing amounts of weights.
- Comfortable design. You can carry this tool bag in one of two different ways: using the handles or the shoulder strap. Both the handles and shoulder strap are well padded and comfortable to use. Many users were surprised at how comfortable it was to carry around this bag, even with a lot of weight inside.
- Convenient organization. This tool bag can hold a lot of tools, but it also organizes those tools in a convenient and easy-to-access manner. The large internal compartment is easy to open and the two external compartments are contained with straps so the flaps don’t open all the way unless you want them to, which is extra convenient.
- Not waterproof. The Custom LeatherCraft 1539 isn’t waterproof, so be careful when working or storing the tool bag outside.
The DEWALT DG5543 is a simple, yet durable and convenient tool bag that provides all the carrying capacity you need, without all the bells and whistles. This tool bag offers plenty of storage space for small and large tools. It’s also incredibly durable with hardy features like heavy-duty zippers and materials. The DEWALT DG5543 is a great pick for any handyman or professional looking for a reliable and sturdy tool bag.
Why We Recommend It
- Spacious and organized. The DEWALT DG5543 offers plenty of storage space both inside and out, allowing you to store your tools with ease. It features a single, large interior compartment that also contains 13 pockets and a zippered pocket to keep your valuable items hidden and protected. The tool bag also has 20 exterior pockets. Many users are happy with the amount of pockets available to them, which allowed them to store a variety of tools and parts with ease.
- Reinforced durability. This tool bag is durable and sturdy, featuring base pads for extra protection when the bag is on the ground. Users report that they are pleased with the sturdy build overall, finding the heavy-duty polyester fabric exceptional in quality and durability. Many users report that they’ve had this tool bag for a long time without any concern over wearing it out.
- Convenient pop open design. Gaining access to your tools is easy with this tool bag’s convenient pop open design for the main internal compartment. This feature makes it easy to not only open the bag when loaded with tools, but also to keep it open. Many users report that this is their favorite feature of the bag, since it saves them from the effort of having to dig around in a bag full of tools.
- Pockets are all the same size. Some users aren’t happy that all the pockets on the DEWALT DG5543 are the same size because some tools don’t stay put properly.
The Stanley STST70574 is a sturdy and compact tool bag that can handle tough jobs without getting in the way. This tool bag is perfect for people with small- to medium-sized hand tools that need something extra portable for quick jobs that don’t require larger tools. It’s also a durable solution that keeps your tools protected from drops and bumps. If you’re looking for a solid budget tool bag, look no further than the Stanley STST70574.
Why We Recommend It
- Compact but spacious. The Stanley STST70574 tool bag measures in at 12 inches, making it a compact tool bag. However, don’t let the size fool you. This tool bag is still capable of carrying plenty of tools. With six exterior pockets and six interior pockets, you have plenty of room to keep smaller tools organized. Add that to the large interior compartment for larger tools, and you’ll likely find that you have plenty of space. Many users report that they have plenty of space for all of their small- to medium-sized hand tools in this bag. On top of that, the compact nature of the Stanley tool bag makes it easier to carry around with you, which many users also enjoy.
- Reliable protection for your tools. This tool bag is designed with a rubber foam bottom that serves to both keep the bag sturdy and protect your tools from drops and bumps. Many users are pleased with the extra support this rubber foam bottom supplies, especially in situations when you need to constantly access the bag for tools.
- Durable. The Stanley STST70574 is made from a durable polyester material that many users report holds up to rough conditions and treatment. Users also report that the construction of the pockets and zippers is well done and has held up over prolonged use.
- Comfortable to carry. The padded handles and compact size of this tool bag make it comfortable to carry and handle, as many users confirm. Users are also pleased with the overall look and style of the tool bags.
- Not big enough for larger power tools. Being a compact tool bag, the Stanley STST70574 isn’t equipped to carry large power tools.
The BLACK+DECKER Matrix Wide-Mouth tool bag is another great budget choice for people who want a simple, yet convenient option for storing and carrying tools. The tool bag features a spacious and sturdy design with a wide-mouth opening that gives you easier access to your tools. While it doesn’t feature a lot of small pockets, the BLACK+DECKER Matrix Wide-Mouth features a large interior compartment that is perfect for carrying around power tools.
Why We Recommend It
- Plenty of internal storage. This tool bag features a large interior compartment that can be separated into three separate compartments. This larger compartment inside the bag is the perfect place to store larger power tools. There are also a variety of stretchy straps inside that can store batteries and other tools. Many users are pleased with the amount of space inside the tool bag.
- Easy-access, wide-mouth design. Getting in and out of the BLACK+DECKER Wide-Mouth tool bag is made easy with its wide-mouth design. After unzipping the bag, the opening can be extended fully, allowing full access into the interior compartment. Many users report this to be their favorite feature of the tool bag.
- Extra durable. Packing tools around should be no problem with this tool bag because of its extra-durable design. It features a durable plastic base instead of fabric, which increases durability and stability. The fabric of the bag is also extra thick, and users report that the sewing around handles, zippers and pockets ensure the bag is able to handle heavy loads with ease.
- Doesn’t provide many pockets. The bag only features one interior pocket and one exterior pocket.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Rolling Tool Bags
Tool bags provide a simple and reliable way to transport your vast array of tools to job sites or around your home. Adding wheels to the equation creates more portability and mobility. Rolling tool bags typically offer the same carrying capacity and utility as traditional tool bag, all while making it easier for you to get around. These tools bags are perfect for people who have heavy power and hand tools that are difficult to carry.
The Klein Tools 55452RTB is a rolling tool bag that features a unique and convenient design much like a wheeled suitcase that makes it super convenient for people who need to always be on the move with heavy tools. This rolling tool bag is durable and spacious, providing a lot of pockets and internal space. If you’re looking for something more portable than most tool bags, the Klein Tools 55452RTB is a great choice.
Why We Recommend It
- Unique, wheeled design. The main feature of this tool bag is its unique, wheeled design. The tool bag resembles a wheeled suitcase in a much sturdier and rugged design. Users love this feature, stating that it makes transporting their heavier tools easier than ever before. All of the design components for the wheeled tool bag, such as the wheels and handles, are heavy duty and durable, able to hold up to being wheeled around job sites.
- Plenty of internal and external storage. The Klein Tools 55452RTB rolling tool bag features plenty of internal and external storage, with 24 pockets overall. While large power tools typically won’t fit inside, users report still being able to store the majority of their hand tools with ease. You can also use the top of the back and the handle as an extra storage space for boxes or other materials.
- Super durable. As discussed above, the wheels and handle for this rolling tool bag are extra sturdy since those areas will take the most abuse. However, the bag itself is also very durable, being made out of 600D polyester. Many users are pleased with how well this bag holds up in rough conditions.
- Stable and easy to access. The Klein Tools 55452RTB rolling tool bag features a stable base because of its wheels and molded kick plate, and it’s also incredibly easy to access once opened. The mouth of the bag stays open when unzipped and the interior of the bag is bright orange, making it easier to find the tools inside. Many users enjoy these features, as it makes it easier to get in and out of the bag.
- Heavier than other tool bags. Weighing in at 19 pounds, the Klein Tools 55452RTB is heavier than other tool bags.
Best Backpack Tool Bags
Carrying around a tool bag full of tools can be difficult if you constantly need to access roofs or areas with limited wiggle room. A backpack tool bag frees up your hands and allows you to transport your tools to areas that may have been previously inaccessible with a traditional tool bag. These tools bags make it easier to carry heavy tools by distributing the weight evenly across your back. They’re perfect for people who typically have to walk around a lot to their job sites.
The DEWALT DGL523 is a backpack tool bag that features an impressive amount of storage space and pockets. The backpack design of this tool bag makes it an extra-convenient and portable option for people who want to easily transport all of their tools without limiting their movements. This backpack tool bag also features a handy LED light for added convenience and features comfortable shoulder pads and carrying handles.
Why We Recommend It
- Comfortable backpack design. The DEWALT DGL523 tool bag is designed like a backpack, making it extra convenient to carry around your tools. Many users report being able to do more since their hands are free. The backpack tool bag also features extra-padded shoulder straps and back for added comfort.
- Convenient LED light included. This backpack tool bag features a handy LED light built in to the front of it. This flashlight has three different output levels for different lighting situations. Many users are extra happy with this features, as it allows them to work and find their tools in darker areas without having to worry about carrying around an extra flashlight.
- Tons of storage. The DEWALT DGL523 backpack tool bag features a ton of storage space in the form of 48 internal pockets and nine external pockets. Users report that this is plenty of space to carry around all their most-used tools, along with some room to spare for larger tools. All of these pockets are also easily accessible, as the backpack unfolds completely.
- Heavy duty and durable. Many users report surprise at how durable this backpack tool bag is, especially because of its unique design. However, the tool bag is constructed from heavy duty fabric and the extra components, like zippers and stitching, are well-constructed.
- No structure on the bottom of the bag. The bottom of this backpack tool bag only features four plastics tabs, which users report don’t offer very much structure or stability when placed on the ground.
The Custom LeatherCraft 1134 is a sturdy tool bag in backpack form that offers lots of storage space for all your small- to medium-sized hand tools. It features easy-to-access pockets and compartments that make for greater convenience, especially since your hands are free as a result of the backpack orientation. The Custom LeatherCraft 1134 also features a kangaroo-type pouch on the front, allowing for greater flexibility with tool storage.
Why We Recommend It
- Heavy-duty backpack design. The backpack design of the Custom LeatherCraft 1134 is convenient and comfortable. It’s also heavy duty enough to handle rough conditions and jobs. Many users report using this backpack tool bag for years without seeing heavy signs of wear and tear. This includes all the compartments, pockets, straps and zippers.
- Plenty of storage and organization. The Custom LeatherCraft 1134 features 41 interior pockets and seven exterior pockets for greater tool organization and storage capacity. Most users report being pleasantly surprised about the amount of storage space in this tool bag, especially for being a backpack and not a traditional tool bag. It also features a unique kangaroo-type compression pocket on the front of the bag that has adjustable straps for greater versatility. Customers report using this pocket for extension cords and other bulky or awkward items.
- Convenient feet on the base of the pack. This tool bag backpack features four rugged feet on the base of the pack, at all four corners. These feet serve to keep the pack off the ground so your tools don’t get wet or otherwise ruined. Users are also happy to report that these feet add an extra level of structure and stability to the backpack.
- Pack can be uncomfortable for taller people. Taller users report some discomfort from the Custom LeatherCraft 1134 digging into their backs due to its compact and short design.
Best Bucket Tool Bags
Bucket tool bags offer a tool storage option that is easy to access and carry around. With a unique, open-top design, these tool bags are perfect for people on the go who constantly need to be accessing their tools without settling down in a single spot. Typically, these tools bags offer a comfortable shoulder strap so you don’t have to worry about lugging around heavy tools with just your arms. As their name suggests, they can also be easily stored inside 5-gallon buckets for easier transportation to and from job sites.
The Custom LeatherCraft 1528 is a bucket-style tool bag that allows you to easily access all the pockets and compartments without any problem. This tool bag is a perfect choice for anyone who doesn’t need to carry around large and heavy power tools. As with many Custom LeatherCraft products, this bucket tool bag is sturdy and durable, making it great for use in any kind of situation or working environment.
Why We Recommend It
- Easy-access storage option. The open-top design of this bucket tool bag features a ton of different pockets and storage compartments. With 14 outside pockets and seven inside pockets, the Custom LeatherCraft 1528 is a great choice for anyone with smaller tools and parts that all get equal use.
- Stable and sturdy design. The Custom LeatherCraft 1528 features increased stability because of its design, which many users appreciate. This allows you to easily set it down and quickly get to work without having to worry about it tipping over. Many users are also pleased with how durable and sturdy the tool bag is.
- Large interior compartment. While this tool bag is more compact and portable, it still has a larger interior compartment to hold larger tools like drills with ease. Many users appreciate this feature when it’s needed.
- Comfortable carrying solution. This bucket tool bag is comfortable to carry around, and users report being pleased with this feature. The shoulder strap and handles are padded, making this bag easy to transport. Its square design also provides a relatively even distribution of weight for easier portability, as well.
- Some inaccessible, deep pockets. The Custom LeatherCraft 1528 bucket tool bag features some pockets that are too deep, according to some users, which is limiting.
The Bucket Boss 25001 is a unique bucket tool bag that features an extra-durable and simple design. With tons of easy-access pockets, this tool bag is a great choice for someone who wants to store small tools or parts in a sturdy, durable bag. The bag also features a ripcord option that allows you to close up the pockets with a simple pull on the cord. It’s also designed to fit into a 5-gallon bucket for easier transport and portability.
Why We Recommend It
- Unique and spacious pocket design. The Bucket Boss 25001 offers 13 exterior pockets and six interior pockets. These pockets aren’t rigidly structured, but are loose and flexible. This makes them perfect for storing parts and small tools.
- Ripcord design allows you to protect your tools. This bucket tool bag features a unique ripcord design that allows you to close up all the pockets on the bag. If you’re using the bag for parts or small tools that fit completely inside the pockets, you can use this feature to protect your parts and tools without worrying about them falling out of the bag. Many users find this feature to be one of the bag’s best.
- Easily stored in 5-gallon buckets. One of the most convenient features of this bucket tool bag is its ability to be compressed and stored in a 5-gallon bucket. In fact, several of these bags can be stored in a single bucket, according to many users, who are pleased with this feature.
- Not for larger tools. Carrying larger tools in the Bucket Boss 25001 is possible, but not recommended, since the bag lacks any kind of rigid structure.