BEST ROBOT MOPS | NOVEMBER 2017
Tired of mopping your hardwood floors but still want them to look nice and clean? A robotic mop might be the perfect smart home device for you. The ReviewLab team researched various options to best suit your mopping needs, such as wet, dry, and damp mopping robots with a variety of different features including vacuuming, sweeping, and smart sensors for navigating any kind of space. We selected the best options for homeowners who are looking to keep their living spaces neat and tidy without lifting a finger. From multi-surface mopping robots to smartphone-controlled devices, there is an option to suit every homeowner. A short buying guide outlines important aspects to consider when choosing a mopping robot such as battery life and room size. We hope the product reviews below guide you in your search for a little extra cleaning help. Read more about our methodology.
The iRobot Braava 380t Robot Mop is one of the only mopping-specific models available. Made by the reputable iRobot brand, it’s our top pick because it’s well priced and can mop and navigate spaces effectively.Read full review.
The ECOVACS DEEBOT M80 Pro Robotic Vacuum & Mop is one of the only models on this list that works with Alexa, allowing you to control it from anywhere in your house. For the price, it’s also extremely versatile since it can wet mop, vacuum, and dry sweep floors. It can clean in more ways than our top pick but it’s not as effective when it comes to mopping.Read full review.
From the same brand as our top pick, the iRobot Braava Jet 240 Robot Mop is perfect for mopping smaller areas like bathrooms. Larger rooms will require a water tank refill. Less expensive than the 380t, the Jet 240 is smaller in profile, making it perfect for squeezing into tight spaces.Read full review.
The Fonzo Robotic Vacuum & Mop is our budget runner-up. The inexpensive unit is a bit louder than the iRobot Braava Jet 240 but that’s to be expected since it can also vacuum floors thanks to its powerful suctioning abilities.Read full review.
Robot Mops BUYING GUIDE
Think about the spaces you’re interested in mopping—how big are they? Larger homes will require a mopping robot with a large water tank so you don’t have to refill while the robot is doing its job. Smaller water tanks will need to be refilled more often, but are great for areas like bathrooms.
Larger homes and spaces will also require appropriate battery life from a robotic mop. Most devices can clean continuously for at least an hour until they must return to their charging cradle for a recharge. If you have a particularly large space to mop, choose a device with a longer battery life. Speaking of batteries, most robotic mops are able to return to their docks on their own if they detect a low battery.
When do you plan on letting your robotic mop clean? If it’s in the middle of the day, when no one is home, noise level isn’t really a concern. Keep in mind, some devices will require more supervision than others, so some may need to be run in the morning or evening when someone is home. If that’s the case, make sure you are comfortable with the level of noise the unit produces. If you plan to let it clean at night, choose the quietest device you can find. Mopping-only devices will usually produce less noise than powerful vacuuming robots.
Not all devices are equal when it comes to scheduling cleaning sessions. If automatically scheduled mopping is important to you, choose a device that allows you to pick the time and/or day that the robot will clean. Some devices will only allow you to pick a time of day and the robot will then clean at that same time each day. Other units allow for a bit more flexibility through custom scheduling.
While not always the case with other products, higher priced robotic mops tend to be better quality than budget models. Pricier models often have a greater number of features and are better able to function without supervision. Cleaning ability is fairly standard whether you’re choosing a $150 unit or a $400 one. Spending more usually means the robotic cleaning machine is able to clean more intelligently than budget units. If you’re away during the day and want a device that can clean without getting stuck or lost, opt for a more expensive model.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The iRobot Braava 380t Robot Mop is a good choice for users who want a device specifically for the task of mopping. It’s equipped with a water tank for damp mopping but it’s also capable of dry sweeping should the need arise. It can be used with either disposal pads or reusable cloths and has a low profile, allowing it to navigate almost everywhere. It’s an excellent option for mopping larger areas.
Why We Recommend It
- Runs quietly. Reviewers are pleased with the low noise level of the machine.
- Can fit under most furniture. At only 3.1-inches tall, it can easily move under couches and coffee tables without getting stuck.
- Cleans floor methodically. The device can mop all types of flooring, including tile and hardwood, and can dry sweep using a back and forth motion or mop that uses a damp cleaning mode.
- Detects obstacles and navigates very well. Reviewers say that the Northstar navigation system is effective. It tells the unit where to go and what’s already been cleaned.
- Long lasting charge. It has enough battery power to clean thoroughly and returns to its charger when it’s done cleaning.
- Reusable cleaning pads. While it can be used with disposal cleaning pads, reviewers like that there is also an option to use reusable cloths that are machine washable.
- No vacuuming function. This is a mopping-specific robot so it cannot vacuum up dust and debris.
- No scheduling option. There is no way to automatically schedule cleaning periods. Users have to manually power on the machine.
- Slow. Cleans thoroughly but the process takes a while, according to reviewers.
The ECOVACS DEEBOT M80 Pro Robotic Vacuum & Mop is a multi-tasking device that can effectively clean all types of floors. A large dustbin and water tank are paired with a long-lasting battery for thorough cleaning. Scheduling can be done via the device’s smartphone app and the unit can be controlled with Alexa for easy, hands-free operation. For the homeowner who wants an all-in-one floor-cleaning device, the DEEBOT M80 Pro is a great choice.
Why We Recommend It
- Very quiet. Reviewers like that the robotic device is not too loud whether it’s vacuuming, wet mopping, or dry mopping.
- Convenient app control. The device can be used with Amazon’s Alexa and can be controlled via smartphone app. No need to get up to pause cleaning.
- Vacuums and mops effectively. It features various modes, such as spot and edge cleaning. The unit also has a 5-stage cleaning system so the robot sweeps, lifts, vacuums, mops, and dries all in one swoop.
- Easy to use and empty. The large dustbin is easy to remove and clean.
- Great battery life. A charge lasts a while and the device automatically goes back to its charging station when its battery is low.
- Fairly priced. The unit is backed by a 1-year warranty and reviewers feel it’s a great buy.
- Automatic scheduling. Users can choose a time for the robot to start cleaning every day.
- Various sensors help with navigation. The device features obstacle detection and drop-off sensors so it won’t fall off stairs.
- Has trouble getting back to its charging dock. Some reviewers report that the vacuuming and mopping robot tends to get lost on its way back to charge.
- Gets stuck easily. Quite a few reviewers complain that the device has a tendency to get trapped underneath and between furniture and other obstacles.
The iRobot Braava Jet 240 Robot Mop can wet mop with its powerful jet spray and can sweep using a damp or dry cleaning pad. The quiet little mopping robot is great for cleaning smaller rooms but has enough battery life to handle larger spaces with a little bit of babysitting. The small design means it can sneak under furniture and into corners to clean almost as well as you.
Why We Recommend It
- Inexpensive compared to other models. Reviewers feel that the iRobot Braava Jet 240 provides great value for the price.
- Cleans well. A powerful jet spray and vibrating head ensure floors are thoroughly cleaned. The unit is also capable of damp and dry sweeping.
- Fairly quiet. Reviewers like that the mopping robot isn’t noisy.
- Great battery life. The battery lasts a long time and charges quickly.
- Washable pads. The unit comes with a variety of cleaning cloths for use with its different cleaning modes. They are washable so there’s no need to spend extra money for disposal pads.
- Small and compact. It’s not as big as other robotic mopping units so it can get into small spaces other devices might not be able to get to.
- Detects obstacles. The little robot is able to sense when there are objects in its path and can be used with virtual walls to section off a specific cleaning area.
- Better for small rooms. Although it can hold a charge fairly well, the little unit does have a small water tank. For bigger areas, homeowners will need to be present to refill the tank in order for the robot to continue cleaning effectively.
Our runner-up for the budget category is the Fonzo Robotic Vacuum & Mop. It’s a low-priced unit that does a lot more than mopping. It can also vacuum rooms with the help of strong suction. A remote control lets users direct the robot and special sensors help the unit detect areas that are heavily soiled so it can focus on those. It’s not appropriate for carpeted homes but is a great option for those with hardwood floors.
Why We Recommend It
- Convenient scheduling feature. The device can be scheduled to automatically clean at the same time every day.
- Easy to use. Reviewers like that the Fonzo Robotic Vacuum & Mop is easy to control and use.
- Special ultrasonic sensors. The robotic vacuum & mop’s sensors can tell if some areas are dirtier than others and will enable spot cleaning in those cases.
- Excellent navigation. The device can avoid dropping off ledges and has no trouble gliding under furniture to get at hard to clean places.
- Comes with a remote. The remote makes it easy to control the robot from afar.
- Mops and vacuums well. Strong suction allows the vacuum to effectively pick up dirt, and the device can move in varying patterns to ensure it picks up and cleans all areas of a room.
- Cannot clean carpets well. This device is not able to vacuum carpets and gets stuck easily when encountering rugs.
- Quite loud. The robot is not quiet enough to be run at night, according to reviewers.
- Not great at cleaning corners. The unit often misses dirt and debris that’s trapped in corner areas.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Multi-Surface Robot Mop
Multi-surface robot mops are able to clean a variety of floor types using different cleaning modes. These types of devices are usually able to perform a variety of functions, including wet mopping, sweeping, and vacuuming. Although these types of cleaning units can handle many surface types, they are not recommended for high pile carpeting. These types of robotic mops are a good option for homes with multiple flooring types.
The ILIFE V5s Pro Robot Vacuum & Mop can handle all kinds of flooring and is able to transition smoothly from one cleaning mode to another. It’s an excellent option for homeowners looking for a highly autonomous device that they can set to clean when away from home. It has a large bin that can pick up a fair amount of dirt and a battery life of over 2 hours.
Why We Recommend It
- Great value. Reviewers note that the unit is powerful and performs well for the price.
- Good for light mopping duties. The machine is able to damp mop thanks to the inclusion of a water tank.
- Excellent vacuum. Strong suction is great for picking up pet hair and the unit also has spot and edge cleaning modes.
- Easily gets unstuck. Reviewers like that the robot can easily find its way out of tight spaces. It’s smart enough to avoid being trapped, meaning you can easily schedule it and forget it.
- Decent bin size. The bin is large enough so that it doesn’t need to be emptied multiple times during a cleaning cycle.
- Easy to go from mopping to vacuuming. The robot automatically adapts to the surface it's cleaning, and switching cleaning modes is simple to do.
- Long run time. The ILIFE V5s Pro can run for up to 140 minutes on a single charge. It will also automatically head back to its dock to recharge itself.
- Sometimes cleans the same area twice. Some reviewers point out that the robot has a tendency to go over the same areas repeatedly. It’s less intelligent than some other models available.
Best Dry-Cleaning Robot Mop
Dry-cleaning robot mops act a lot like a Swiffer, except they automatically do the cleaning for you. Sweeping pads are attached to the unit so that the robot can pick up dust and debris as it passes through your home. Robotic dry-cleaning mops also have a vacuum function to suck up dust and dirt. This type of device is great for those with hardwood floors.
If you’re looking for someone else to do your Swiffering for you, opt for the ILIFE V3s. It can dry-mop and vacuum up plenty of stuff from your floors. You can schedule daily cleanings and the small robot can easily get under furniture. The device is also sleekly designed so it will look good placed anywhere in your home.
Why We Recommend It
- Simple to use. It charges on its own, can be scheduled, and requires zero set up. It also comes with a handy remote control.
- Nice sleek design. Finding a place to put its docking station should be easy since this model has a great look to it.
- Handles obstacles well. Its low profile paired with anti-drop and anti-bump sensors allow it to navigate around obstacles. It also features spot and edge-cleaning modes.
- Great with pet hair. The vacuum is able to pick up pet hair quite effectively, according to reviewers.
- Good battery life. The battery lasts a long time, so the robot can pick up and clean plenty of areas on one charge.
- Fairly quiet. Reviewers like that the device doesn’t emit too much noise.
- No wet mop. There’s no water tank in this unit so it’s better for picking up dirt and dust rather than wet messes and spills.
- Not good for carpets. The vacuum provides quite a bit of suction but it can’t navigate carpeted areas very well and will get stuck.
- Sometimes gets lost. Reviewers mention that the unit can get lost as it's cleaning and has trouble getting back to its charging station.
Best Smart Phone Controlled Robot Mop
Smartphone control allows users to start and stop cleaning from afar and plan a cleaning schedule in advance. These types of robotic mops are an excellent choice for users who plan to run their little electronic helper when they are away from home. The robot mop is connected to the user’s Smartphone via Wi-Fi in most cases.
Users who want the option to control their smart cleaning robot via a smart device should go with the Proscenic 790T Robot Vacuum & Mop. Via the smartphone app, homeowners can schedule the device in advance. It can vacuum and mop at the same time and effortlessly navigates areas by avoiding obstacles and ledges. It can even handle vacuuming thin carpets. Runtime on a single charge is about 100 minutes, plenty of time to get at all the dirt in your home.
Why We Recommend It
- Customized scheduling. Used with the smartphone app, the robot can be scheduled to clean according to user preferences.
- Large water tank. Big enough for handling larger areas and effectively cleans stuck on messes.
- Great at cleaning pet hair. A large dustbin is paired with a powerful suction areas and bristles to pick up as much debris as possible.
- Doesn’t fall off edges. Smart navigation includes sensors that won’t let the device fall down stairs. It ensures edges are clean, too, and prevents the unit from bumping into things.
- Works on low pile carpets. Reviewers are impressed with the fact that the robot can handle some carpeted surfaces, unlike other units.
- Nice battery life. The battery lasts just under 2 hours, giving the device plenty of time to clean. Once done cleaning or when the battery is low, the device goes back home to charge.
- Can vacuum and mop at the same time. There’s no need to select a specific option, as the robot can do both simultaneously.
- No virtual wall feature. There is no way to block off areas of your home but the smart navigation does work fairly well.
- Not good for high pile carpets and rugs. It can pass over low pile carpeting, though.