BEST PELLET STOVES | NOVEMBER 2017
Pellet stoves offer an effective and economical way to heat a space. And if you're in the market for a pellet stove, you've come to the right place. Our team has done extensive research on pellet stoves across a range of price points to help you narrow down your options. If you're not sure exactly what you're looking for in a pellet stove, take a look at our helpful buying guide below, which discusses heating output, pellet capacity and more. Read more about our methodology.
The Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22 is large, powerful, and looks good. It offers a heating solution that can heat large spaces and includes plenty of advanced heat management features such as auto ignition and a programmable thermostat. These features make it a good choice for pellet stoves.Read full review.
The Castle 12327 Serenity wood pellet stove is a great choice for consumers on a budget looking for a reliable and powerful pellet stove. This pellet stove offers a programmable smart controller and easy clean features, making it a simple heating solution.Read full review.
Pellet Stoves BUYING GUIDE
If you’re purchasing a pellet stove, you’re most likely looking for something to improve your heating situation. As such, the most important factor you should consider is how well the pellet stove you purchase heats your living space. The size and heating output of pellet stoves vary greatly. Some stoves are only capable of heating spaces as small as 600 square feet, where others can heat larger spaces up to 2,000 square feet and up. Before purchasing, consider the space where you’re placing the stove and how much of it you want to heat.
Pellet stoves are fueled by small, wood pellets. The amount of pellets your pellet stove can hold also varies greatly depending on the model of stove you purchase. The more pellets your stove can hold, the longer it will be able to heat your living space. Larger capacities are more convenient since you won’t be getting up constantly to refill the pellets.
The way a pellet stove is built is another important factor to consider, especially if you don’t want to have to replace the stove after a short amount of time. Pellet stoves have a couple of different moving parts that should be built for long-lasting function. The most important of these is the hopper, which holds the pellets and opens at specific intervals to dump more pellets into the stove.
Design and Aesthetic
Since pellet stoves are out in the open, they should be designed with an aesthetic purpose in mind. This aesthetic can differ greatly, depending on your own personal design tastes. The design should be functional, but it should also be easy on the eyes. Consider the look and feel of the design in hand with the space you want to heat to make sure your stove will look good and be easy to use once installed.
For less than $1,000, you can get a budget pellet stove. These pellet stoves are typically smaller and less likely to completely warm up larger rooms. They also don’t have as many advanced features such as automatic shutdown. The pellet stoves you can purchase in the $1,000-1,800 range will satisfy the needs of most consumers and typically offer a greater heating output and more advanced heating management features. The higher-end pellet stoves, above $1,800, are larger, heat larger spaces, and hold more wood pellets.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Comfortbilt Pellet Stove HP22 is an eco-friendly and efficient heating solution for most average consumers, which is why it makes our top pick. This, coupled with other advanced features, such as a programmable thermostat and easy-to-use remote, makes this pellet stove is one of the best on the market.
Why We Recommend It
- Excellent heat output. The Comfortbilt HP22 is a powerful heating solution. With a 50,000 BTU heat output, this pellet stove can heat spaces as large as 2,000 square feet. This is an excellent choice for consumers who are looking to heat large spaces in their homes. It also includes a 110-volt blower, a powerful feature that allows the stove to blow heat around the room in a more efficient manner. The hopper is capable of holding 55 pounds of wood pellets, which allows you to keep the stove on for most of the day before needing to fill it up.
- Efficient and eco-friendly. This pellet stove operates at 86% efficiency, meaning it gets the most out of the pellets you put into it. This also means that the stove is EPA certified, making it an eco-friendly choice for heating your home. If a pellet stove is EPA certified, it’s burning the wood pellets efficiently enough to not discharge gases that contain harmful particles into the atmosphere.
- User-friendly operation. One of the most user-friendly aspects of the Comfortbilt HP22 pellet stove is its programmable thermostat. This feature gives you complete control over the temperature in the room you’re heating. You also get a user-friendly remote that you can use anywhere in the room to control the stove.
- Attractive aesthetic. With an attractive charcoal gray color and a large viewing pane, the Comfortbilt HP22 makes for an attractive heating solution. It measures in at 25 x 30 x 35 inches, allowing it to fit nicely in a corner or anywhere you decide to place it. It’s also incredibly easy to clean so you can keep it looking nice without a problem.
- Lacking warranty. The Comfortbilt HP22 pellet stove only comes with a 1 year limited warranty, which is lacking when compared to other pellet stoves in this price range.
The Castle 12327 Serenity wood pellet stove is an impressive budget pellet stove sure to fill the needs of most consumers. While it lacks in power and efficiency compared to other pellet stoves on the market, it’s still a reliable solution that can still heat a room up to 1,500 square feet. It also offers more flexibility with five different blower speeds and feed rates.
Why We Recommend It
- More flexible heating options. The Castle 12327 Serenity wood pellet stove offers a flexible heating solution with more control over how you heat your living space. It offers a 30,000 BTU heat output, which is sufficient enough to heat rooms up to 1,500 square feet. The greatest feature about this pellet stove is the option of changing blower speeds. You can choose how hard you want the stove to blow heat around your room, which gives you more flexibility. You can also control the rates at which the wood pellets are fed into the stove. This also gives you more flexibility in controlling how fast or slow your room is heated.
- Compact and attractive design. This pellet stove is one of the smaller models on the market, but its compact design allows you to place it almost anywhere in your living space. It also has a larger viewing pane, which is hard to accomplish on a smaller unit. It measures in at 23.8 x 18.5 x 34 inches.
- Easy to use. The Castle 12327 Serenity pellet stove is easy to use and burns its pellets at an efficient 78% rate. Its controls, located on top of the stove, are easy to program, allowing you to set burning times for every day of the week. This gives you more freedom to have the house be warm when you wake up or when you get home from work.
- Unit gets hot. If you’re planning on burning pellets for a longer periods of time, be aware that this unit can get extremely hot on the outside. Other pellet stoves are designed in a way to prevent extreme external heat.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Pellet Stove Under $1,500
A pellet stove costing less than $1,500 will typically do well heating smaller and average-sized spaces. But at this price point, pellet stoves are likely to have fewer bells and whistles.
The Pleasant Heart Medium pellet stove offers a solid heating solution that offers efficient heating for average-sized living spaces. It also includes an exclusive Comfort Control System, which gives you greater control over how your space is heated.
Why We Recommend It
- Efficient heating options. The Pleasant Hearth Medium pellet stove has a heating output of 35,000 BTU, which can heat spaces up to 1,750 square feet. It also has a 40-pound hopper capacity that allows the stove to burn for a continuous 12-14 hours. This stove is also EPA certified with an 85% burn efficiency rating.
- Exclusive Comfort Control system. The exclusive Comfort Control system allows you to easily adjust how much your pellet stove heats the space around you. This system is an easy-to-use dial that you can use to set the temperature exactly how you want it, including a minimum and maximum setting.
- Easy to set up. Some pellet stoves are incredibly complicated to set up, but the Pleasant Hearth Medium pellet stove is simple to put together. The unit comes with instructions that are easy to read and follow, which makes the set up process so much easier to complete.
- Noisy. The Pleasant Hearth Medium pellet stove can be noisy, especially if you are using the blower to move heat around the room.
Best Pellet Stove Under $1,800
The price you pay for pellet stoves can often determine what features and heating outputs you receive on the stove you purchase. Pellet stoves under $1,800 offer a variety of standard features and heating outputs that should work for most average-sized rooms living spaces.
The US Stove GW 1949 Wiseway is a unique pellet stove in the fact that it doesn’t rely on electricity or mechanical parts to heat your living space. The stove uses a natural gravity feed system which lowers the need for maintenance and results in fewer breakdowns over the life of the stove. This is the perfect stove for consumers in areas prone to blackouts or areas that are off the grid.
Why We Recommend It
- Powerful heating solution. The US Stove GW 1949 Wiseway pellet stove provides a heating output of 40,000 BTUs. This powerful heating output can heat living spaces up to 2,000 square feet. This is an impressive amount of output for a stove that doesn’t rely on electricity.
- Large hopper capacity. With a hopper capacity of 60 pounds, you can experience continuous heating for up to 36 hours. This large hopper capacity is a huge positive for pellet stoves, especially in this price range. The unique gravity-powered feed rate also allows you to sit back and relax in the heat without having to worry about fiddling with settings and feed rates.
- Doesn’t rely on electricity or moving parts. Because the US Stove GW 1949 isn’t powered on electricity, it relies on gravity to feed the wood pellets into the stove. This features makes this pellet stove ideal for the consumer looking to heat a living space that doesn’t have electricity or frequently experiences power outages. This also means the stove has no mechanical, moving parts, which gives the stove a higher level of durability, as well. It’s also incredibly easy to clean.
- No automated controls. Because this pellet stove doesn’t use electricity, you won’t have any kind of automated controls. This means you’ll have to manually start the stove and you won’t have any control over temperature settings.
The US Stove 4840 is a unique, wall-mounted pellet stove that is capable of heating spaces up to 1,000 square feet. Its wall-mount configuration provides easy access for controlling the temperature and cleaning the stove.
Why We Recommend It
- Flexible heating solution. The US Stove 4840 pellet stove offers a uniquely flexible heating solution. Most pellet stoves sit on the ground, but this one can be mounted to the wall, which gives you more freedom of where you can put it. The stove also has five different heat settings so you can tailor fit the temperature in your space just the way you like it.
- Easy to access and clean. Since this pellet stove is mounted to the wall, it’s going to be much easier to control, since it will likely be at chest’s height. Rather than bend down to control it, like you would with other pellet stoves, you can just walk up to it and make the appropriate adjustments. This also means it’s easier to clean, which is a wonderful feature to have with pellet stoves.
- Powerful blower. The blower on the US Stove 4840 pellet stove is powerful, measuring in a 120 CFMs. This allows you to efficiently and effectively circulate the heat round your living space without having to worry about cold spots.
- Small hopper. The US Stove 4840 only has a 24-pound hopper capacity. This means you’ll be limited with how long you can burn the stove before needing to refill the pellets.
Best Pellet Stove Under $2,000
The pellet stoves you can purchase for under $2,000 are typically larger and offer more advanced control features. Their larger size means you’ll be able to heat larger living spaces with ease. This ability, coupled with advanced control features, gives you great control over how your space is heated.
The Pleasant Hearth Large pellet stove is a large, efficient, and powerful pellet stove that makes it easy to heat larger spaces. With its exclusive Comfort Control system, you can quickly adjust temperature settings without having to worry about complicated controls.
Why We Recommend It
- Impressive heating output. The Pleasant Hearth Large pellet stove is capable of putting out 50,000 BTUs of heat. This makes it the perfect solution for heating larger living spaces, up to 2,200 square feet. Its blower is also powerful enough to efficiently circulate the heat around larger living spaces. On top of that, the pellet stove burns at an 86% efficiency rate, and it is EPA certified.
- Incredible hopper capacity. Larger hopper capacities result in longer burn times. This pellet stove boasts an impressive 80-pound hopper capacity. With such a large hopper capacity, you can expect to experience continuous burns times anywhere from 16 to 42 hours, depending on how high you set your temperature settings.
- Flexible temperature control. Temperature control is especially important for larger pellet stoves, because it can make the difference in a large room that’s too cold or too hot. With Pleasant Hearth’s exclusive Comfort Control system, adjusting the temperature in your room is as easy as spinning a dial to the desired level of heat. You can also set the heat to minimum or maximum levels. This features gives you the ultimate level of control.
- Sturdy and aesthetically pleasing. There’s nothing better than sitting back in front of fire and relaxing, watching the fire burn. The Pleasant Hearth Large pellet stove offers a large viewing pane and boasts a pleasant design aesthetic. The stove is built well, too, which leads to longer life overall.
- Noisy blower. While the heating output is further improved with a powerful blower, it does make for some noise during peak heating time. While it isn’t jarring to the ears, the blower is louder than most pellet stoves.