BEST NAIL DRILLS | NOVEMBER 2017
Nail drills make manicures and pedicures possible in both your home and a salon. These powerful machines have various uses and functions including shaping nails, removing and repairing acrylic nails and sanding nails to prepare for an artificial set. However, finding a model with the right amount of power, design features, and included tools can be overwhelming. To help you narrow down the numerous nail drills available, our team conducted extensive research to find the best option for beginners and technicians, along with the best battery-powered device. For each product, we list specifications, key features and other considerations. If you don’t know what features you need, what to avoid, and how much you can expect to spend on a quality product, check out our buying guide. Read more about our methodology.
Shape nails and remove thick skin without paying for a full manicure or pedicure with this PureNails set. Featuring seven attachments, a bright LED light and a lightweight design, this device is worth your consideration.Read full review.
The Beurer Electric Manicure & Pedicure Kit is an excellent nail drill for home use. With an LED light, variable speed controls and 10 included accessories, you have a variety of features and tools to keep your nails healthy and looking their best.Read full review.
Keep your nails smooth and healthy without paying for expensive manicures with this nail drill. It features six attachments, an easy-to-hold design and is extremely quiet, making manicures and pedicures at home an enjoyable experience.Read full review.
Shape, smooth and sand natural and artificial nails with this Pretty See Electric Nail File. This device is ideal for all nail types, is easy to hold for long periods of time, and can handle tough jobs with ease.Read full review.
Nail Drills BUYING GUIDE
The speed of the product is essential to the type of nail you use it on, and for what purposes. Fast speeds are better equipped for acrylic nails, while slower speeds are best for natural nails and working on cuticles. Products ideal for technicians generally provide faster speeds — usually 25,000 RPMs or higher — while for home use, you want at least 15,000 RPMs to shape and smooth your natural nails. Furthermore, consider how you would like to adjust the speed on the drill. Some products feature knobs and dials, which can be bothersome for technicians who constantly adjust speeds. Food pedals are a popular option but the drill is often larger and less portable.
Nail drills feature different designs. Some devices are extremely large and hefty, while others are small, compact and ideal for traveling. When choosing the best nail drill, you want to look at the overall design of the product. You may be holding the device for extended periods of time so you want a product that is lightweight and fits well in your hand. Avoid products that are too bulky and round, making them difficult to fully grasp in your hand.
Nail drills are either powered by an AC adapter or batteries. AC adapters provide for a smoother and even rotation throughout the entire manicure or pedicure. However, you do have a cord to work around. Products with straight cords are ideal because they are less likely to get tangled up and become obstacles. Battery-powered devices are extremely portable and allow you to perform manicures no matter your location, but these items require frequent charging and are usually heavy and bulky due to the addition of batteries.
Maintenance and Cleanliness
You must clean your nail drill and accessories on a regular basis. This means you want to look for products where drill bits are easy to remove and clean. Some items also include dust shields that confine the mess and make the clean-up process less of a hassle. The best products should not be high-maintenance and require additional work to keep them going. Additionally, consider products that do not easily rust.
For less than $30, you can buy a budget-friendly nail drill. These devices typically have slower speeds and are ideal for working on natural nails. Products in this price range may offer few drill bits but you will want to replace them every few months. Nail drills that cost $30 to $60 are quality products best for home use. These items can typically handle most nail types as well as remove calluses and other rough spots from hands and feet. The nail drills included with these products are generally the standard 3/32” bits. Products greater than $60 are typically professional-grade products and ideal for technicians who use them on a daily basis. These products are durable and comfortable. They have a longer lifespan than other products and many feature lights and foot pedals, making them more user-friendly.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The PureNails 7-Piece Professional Manicure & Pedicure System allows you to get a salon-like manicure in the comforts of your own home. It features two speed options, allowing you to work on both natural or acrylic nails, and it has enough power to remove thick and dead skin from your hands and feet. A bright LED light helps you highlight areas on your fingers and toes, and a long cord ensures you have consistent and smooth power. This machine is easy to store and is highly-portable due to its small, lightweight design. It also features a vinyl carrying case.
Why We Recommend It
- Great for thick nails and skin. Users say the seven sapphire-coated attachments work extremely well on all types of nails and do an excellent job removing thick and dead skin from your hands and feet.
- Bright LED light. A bright LED light is a favorite feature of many users, and they say it does an excellent job lighting an area and making the manicure and pedicure process much easier.
- Extremely long cord. This device is powered with an AC adapter, so you have more even and consistent rotations throughout the entire manicure process. Several individuals report the cord is long enough that it doesn’t get in your way while using this machine.
- Portable and compact. This device is small and weighs less than a pound. It also features a small vinyl carrying case that makes storing and transporting this nail drill extremely easy.
- Attachments aren’t labeled. While this device comes with seven pieces, the attachment pieces are not labeled. This means beginning users must do their homework to learn what each item is and how to use it. Some users say this took some time and required much more of a learning curve than other, comparable products.
The Beurer Electric Manicure & Pedicure Kit is one of the best if you want precise grooming every time you work on your nails. It features a small, easy-to-hold design and an LED light that helps you see what you are doing with ease. It comes with 10 attachments — a much larger assortment of included attachments than comparable products — allowing you to perform a variety of tasks on your nails. There is variable speed control and you can adjust the rotation of the drill bits. Unfortunately, many users say this device doesn’t have the power to accomplish extremely tough and difficult jobs, such as removing dead skin.
Why We Recommend It
- More precise grooming. This nail drill features a small, easy-to-hold design and an LED light to help you see, affording more precision when shaping, sanding and filing of the nail. In addition, you can adjust the rotation of the drill bits to move either counter-clockwise or clockwise.
- Variable speed controls. Many users report the variable speed is a favorite feature on this device. Speed variability allows owners to utilize this product on both natural and artificial nails.
- Unique dust shield. You can place a small dust shield on this device to protect yourself from dust. This shield also keeps the mess to a minimum and makes clean-up much more enjoyable.
- Extensive number of accessories. This device includes 10 attachments, giving you ample tools to achieve a complete manicure and pedicure. This kit offers significantly more pieces than comparable devices.
- Not strong enough for tough tasks. Some users say this nail drill is not powerful enough to remove skin and calluses on hands and feet, and struggles on tougher jobs.
Dr. Heiz 6-in-1 Professional Nail File Drill is an excellent option for a nail drill in your home. Featuring high speeds and a reversible operation switch, you have full control of the power and pressure you place on your nails. It is an extremely quiet device and includes six attachments that are easy to take on and off. Additionally, this nail drill features a pen-shape design which makes it easy to grip for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, many users complain that this product does not disperse heat well.
Why We Recommend It
- Quiet operation. Many users praise the quiet operation of this nail drill, particularly when compared to similar products.
- Comfortable to hold. This device features a pen-shape design that makes it feel natural to hold and use. Many users say due to the shape of this drill, it is easy to grip, allowing you to be more precise in your movements.
- Easy-to-switch attachments. You won’t waste time switching attachments on this device. To exchange attachments, you simply push the current attachment in and it bounces out.
- Poor heat dispersion. Many users say this device quickly heats up during use and can become extremely uncomfortable to hold.
The Pretty See Electric Nail File is an excellent option if you want a powerful and high-quality electric nail file and don’t want to pay the high price tag of comparable products. This powerful device can reach up to 20,000 RPMs, allowing you to work on all nail types and the speed can easily be controlled by a small dial on the cord. This machine weighs less than a pound, making it extremely lightweight and the small, cylindrical design makes it easy to hold and grip.
Why We Recommend It
- Power for all nail types. This device reaches up to 20,000 RPMs, which provides plenty of speed for natural and acrylic nails. Users say they use this device for heavy sanding and removing tough skin and that it works extremely well.
- Lightweight design. Users say this product is extremely lightweight, particularly when compared to other nail drills. The drill weighs less than a pound and the small size makes it easy to hold and maneuver for extended periods.
- Smooth and consistent rotations. This device utilizes an AC adapter instead of batteries, which ensures the drill bits rotate smoothly and you receive a more precise manicure.
- Easy to adjust speed. You can quickly adjust the speed of this nail drill using a dial located on the model’s cord. The location of the dial is ideal, as it makes it more difficult to adjust accidentally.
- Does not include a storage case. While this product includes the nail drill and six attachments, it lacks a dedicated storage case. You will either need to purchase a case on your own or use the drill’s packaging to store all your items.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Nail Drill for Beginners
If you like to perform manicures and pedicures in the comfort of your own home, you want a nail drill for beginners. These items vary in speeds but generally range from 15,000 RPMs to 30,000 RPMs. The best products feature multiple drill bits so you can perform complete manicures and pedicures without purchasing additional items. Additionally, many items in this category are compact, allowing you to easily store the drill or take it with you.
The Kedsum Professional Electric Nail Drill Kit offers many of the features you’ll find in professional-grade machines. It features variable speed control and plenty of power to work on even the toughest spots on your hands and feet. The speeds on this nail drill range from 500 to 20,000 RPMs. This nail drill is extremely quiet and has very low vibrations, a large benefit to a beginning product. Additionally, it is well-built and made using aviation aluminum alloy, which helps it withstand extensive use.
Why We Recommend It
- Can use on all nail types. This product boasts a wide range of speed from 500 RPMs to 20,000 RPMs. This allows you to work on cuticles and natural nails, as well as rough spots and artificial nails with little hassle.
- Extremely quiet. Many users say this nail drill is quiet and offers very little vibration, particularly when compared to similar devices.
- High-quality and attractive design. Made from aviation aluminum alloy, this nail drill is strong and well-built. It also has a soft pink color and easy-to-grip design that makes the overall appearance of this device stand out.
- Short cord. Many users complain that the cord is too short on this device and makes moving with this machine much more limited.
- Attachments difficult to remove. Several users report they had a difficult time removing and exchanging the attachments on this drill. However, they say once you get the hang of it, the process is much faster.
The UTILYZE 10-in-1 Professional Electric Manicure & Pedicure Set offers a unique design. It features touch controls for adjusting the speed of the drill bits, which many users enjoy and say makes the device extremely user-friendly. However, these touch controls also affect how you hold the device, which may be a drawback for individuals with smaller hands. Also, this UTILYZE nail drill comes with many extra features that enhance its overall performance, including an LED light and a protective cover. It also features 10 speed settings, making it easy to use this machine on both your hands and your feet.
Why We Recommend It
- User-friendly touch controls. Instead of using knobs, dials and foot pedals, this device features touch controls to adjust the speed of the drill. Some users say this gave them a little more freedom and convenience.
- 10 speed options. This device boasts 10 speed settings, which is excellent for working on cuticles and natural nails at low speeds, while also using the same product on high power to remove calluses and dead skin.
- Simple to clean. This device features a removable protective cover that blocks dust from your body. Additionally, it makes cleaning extremely simple.
- Bright LED light. A favorite feature is the LED light located on top of the drill. Users say the light highlights areas you are working on and is a unique feature on product ideal for beginners.
- Difficult to hold. Due to the touch controls located on the device, many users say they had a hard time holding the product without touching the controls and changing speeds. Users report when holding the drill, their fingers would hit the touch controls and adjust the speed of the drill without meaning to.
Best Nail Drill for Technicians
The best nail drills for technicians allow you to work on both natural and acrylic nails with ease. These products generally boast extremely high speeds — usually 25,000 RPMs or higher — making repairing and removing acrylic nails a simple process. You can control the speed easily on many products, either by a small dial, knobs or a foot pedal, and the drill bits rotate evenly, ensuring smooth and pain-free manicures. Comfort should be a priority with these products, as many technicians hold these devices for hours.
The MAKARTT Nail Drill Machine is an extremely powerful device. It reaches speeds up to 30,000 RPMs which gives you enough power to complete even the hardest tasks on your client’s hands or feet. It features a foot pedal design, which allows you to more easily control the speed of the drill. Plus, users say it has low vibrations and is quiet, which isn’t a feature you’ll find in many comparable products.
Why We Recommend It
- Extremely high speeds. This nail drill can reach up to 30,000 RPM with little trouble. Many users say they use this machine on a lower setting due to the high speeds and power of the device.
- Low vibrations. While this nail drill offers plenty of power, many users say it doesn’t vibrate like many similar products do. Users also praise its quiet operation.
- Easy to control. Controlling the speed of this nail drill won’t distract your hands from sanding and filing. This nail drill features a foot pedal so you can easily adjust the speed of the machine via your foot. Many technicians love the foot design and say it makes manicures much easier. If the foot pedal is not for you, you can also adjust the speed on the console.
- Removing attachments is simple. While many nail drills require extensive effort to attach and remove drill bits, users say doing so with this product is extremely fast and simple. Three drill bits are included with this product.
- Poor nail bits. Many users complain about the quality of the included nail drill bits on this machine. Users say they had to purchase new ones right away because the included ones were affecting the overall performance of this device.
Best Battery-Powered Nail Drill
If you don’t want to worry about the hassle of cords, a battery-powered nail drill is ideal. The best devices feature varying speeds, giving you enough power to work on both natural and acrylic nails. These devices typically feature numerous drill bits, ensuring you have all the tools you need to complete a manicure and pedicure in your home or at work. However, be careful in the design of these products, as the batteries make these items bulky and heavy, and they can be uncomfortable to hold for extended periods of time.
This battery-powered nail drill is extremely compact and small. Its small size makes it easy to store and throw into a suitcase when traveling. It also features an ergonomic design and the controls for this product are located on the top of the drill, making them easy to access while using the machine. Unfortunately, it isn’t the most powerful drill available as many users say it lacks the power and the long battery life that is needed to work for long periods of time on acrylic nails.
Why We Recommend It
- Ergonomic handle. The nail drill is easier to hold and grip than similar products. This is a large benefit as most battery-powered devices are extremely large and bulky.
- Easy-to-access controls. The speed control buttons and power button are located on the top of this machine, allowing you to quickly adjust settings without much difficulty.
- Extremely compact. This nail drill is only 1.6-inches wide by 5-inches tall and weighs less than a pound. Many users say they were surprised by the small design of this nail drill — particularly for a battery-powered device.
- Sturdy carrying case. An included hard-shelled carrying case makes this product easy to store and take with you.
- Not ideal for acrylic nails. Artificial nails require heavy power for extended periods of time to sand, shape and fill the nails. Many users say this product doesn’t have enough power or battery life to do a decent job perfecting acrylic nails.