BEST MOSQUITO KILLERS | OCTOBER 2020
Mosquitos are some of the most annoying pests around. With that in mind, our team researched a wide variety of mosquito killers to find the most effective way of ridding your house of blood suckers and other insects. Check out our buying guide below to learn more about the different ways you can kill mosquitos and how effective each of the products we researched is at killing bugs. Read more about our methodology.
There's nothing more satisfying than zapping those pesky mosquitos, and the Aspectek Electronic Bug Zapper makes the process easy. With a high range of effectiveness and an easy clean up, this mosquito killer is a perfect choice for homes, office, restaurants, and just about any other living space you can think of.Read full review.
Even though it's small, the GLOUE Bug Zapper is effective at killing mosquitos and smaller insects within smaller spaces. This unit plugs directly into the wall, giving you greater flexibility and freedom on where to most effectively rid yourself on mosquitos. It also doubles as a night light and is completely safe for use around kids and pets.Read full review.
Best by Category
Best Mosquito Zapper
If you're looking to zap mosquitos outdoors, look no further than the Flowtron BK-15D. With a 1/2 acre range and a weatherproof design, this mosquito zapper is perfect for large outdoor spaces. It's also easy to maintain with its patented clogless design that simply allows the dead insects to fall to the ground below the unit.Read full review.
Best Mosquito Trap
An innovative and unique design make this mosquito trap stand out from the crowd. The Oittm Electronic Mosquito Killer runs completely silent and sucks mosquitos into the trap before air drying them to death, leaving you without the mess of zapped remains to clean up. This mosquito killer is also powered via USB cable, giving you more flexibility to move it around your house and plug it into just about any piece of technology.Read full review.
Best Mosquito Fogger
Feel like a professional exterminator with the Burgess 1443 mosquito fogger, and see professional results, too! This mosquito fogger can cover areas up to 5,000 square feet in under ten minutes, and continue to kill and repel mosquitos for up to six hours. This makes a great choice for people with large outdoor spaces.Read full review.
Mosquito Killers BUYING GUIDE
One of the most important factors to consider when purchasing a mosquito killer is the way the unit kills the mosquito. There are three main ways these products kill mosquitos: electric shock, traps, and pesticides. Each of these killing methods has pros and cons, but the decision is ultimately yours. Mosquito zappers use electric shock to kill bugs, which is extremely effective, but can sometimes be loud. Mosquito traps attract the mosquitos and then kill them through starvation or other isolation techniques, which is often quieter but may be less effective. Finally, mosquito foggers user pesticide to kill mosquitos quickly and effectively, but you will need to be more careful not to come in contact with the pesticide.
Different mosquito killers provide different ranges of coverage. Some are made specifically for use within a single room, while others can attract mosquitos from a much larger distance. Consider where you want to place the mosquito killer and determine if a large coverage area is necessary. Units with larger coverage areas tend to be more effective at completely killing the mosquito population in any given space, even if that space is smaller than the advertised range.
Killing mosquitos can get messy, and it’s important to consider how easy it is to clean and maintain the unit you purchase. Most mosquito killers provide removable trays where dead insects are collected. Other units provide clog-free designs that allow the dead insects to fall to the ground. Where you plan on placing the unit may determine what kind of upkeep you are comfortable maintaining.
Many mosquito killers can only be used inside, which may cause a problem when your mosquito problem is outside. Some units can be used both indoors and outdoors, providing the greatest level of flexibility. These units are often weatherproof. If your mosquito problem is inside, you won’t have to worry about the weather and most mosquito killers will work indoors.
For under $20, you can get a budget mosquito killer. Budget mosquito killers are often small and compact and they tend to lose effectiveness at larger ranges. However, they’re perfect for clearing small spaces of mosquitos. Mosquito killers with prices between $20 and $40 will fill the needs of most consumers. These units have a decent range of effectiveness and are typically easier to clean and maintain. If you want the most effective mosquito killers with the longest ranges, expect to pay more than $40. These products can also usually be used outside without fear of them getting ruined in the weather.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Aspectek Electronic Bug Zapper is a powerful, efficient and safe mosquito killer that protects from bugs up to 5,000 square feet around you. And even though this bug zapper is constantly killing mosquitos, it’s incredibly easy to maintain and clean. These features combined make this our top pick for mosquito killers.
Why We Recommend It
- Large area of effect. With a coverage of up to 5,000 square feet, the Aspectek Electronic Bug Zapper is one of the longest-range mosquito killers on the market. It uses two UV bulbs to attract insects to the unit and then kills them with a 2,800-volt shock. You can use this unit indoors or outdoors, but be aware that the unit isn’t weather proof.
- Safe to use. A 2,800-volt shock isn’t something you want to encounter, and this mosquito killer is completely safe to use. It utilizes a protective cage around the electric grid to prevent you from getting shocked. The spaces in the protective cage are large enough for bugs to get through but small enough that human fingers won’t fit. Also, the unit doesn’t use any chemicals or pesticides, making it perfect for homes with pets or kids.
- Easy to use and maintain. To use the Aspectek Electronic Bug Zapper, you simply need to plug it in and watch it work. As it starts to kill insects, they will drop to the bottom of the unit into a collection tray. This tray is completely removable for easy maintenance.
- Portable and versatile. With such a large area of coverage, you might expect this mosquito killer to take up a lot of space. The unit is actually quite small, standing at only 11 inches tall. You can use the unit on a flat surface or use the include wire chain to hang it up.
- Loud zapping sound. Since it uses a high voltage to kill mosquitos and other insects, the unit can be quite loud once the insect comes in contact with the electric grid.
The GLOUE bug zapper is small, compact, and very easy to maintain. It’s the perfect choice for customers on a budget who still need to control the insect population in their living spaces. At night, the unit also doubles as a handy LED night light.
Why We Recommend It
- Small and compact. One of the biggest draws of the GLOUE Bug Zapper is how small and compact the unit actually is. This mosquito killer looks like a nightlight and functions much in the same manner. It plugs directly into an outlet and begins operating once plugged in. This makes the bug zapper incredibly portable and convenient.
- Free of chemicals. This mosquito killer doesn’t use an pesticides or chemicals to kill insects. This makes it safe to use around kids and pets. It also includes a safety panel in front of the electric grid that prevents human fingers from touching it and getting shocked.
- Easy to maintain. As the unit kills mosquitos and other insects, it deposits dead bugs into a disposable tray located at the bottom of the unit. To empty the tray, simply unplug the unit from the outlet and remove the lid.
- Dual-purpose light. The GLOUE Bug Zapper uses a soft, blue LED to attract mosquitos and other bugs. This LED light also serves as a night light in whatever room or hallway where it is located.
- Doesn’t kill larger insects. Since this unit is so small and compact, it has a harder time killing insects larger than mosquitos.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Mosquito Zapper
Mosquito zappers are meant to do exactly what their name implies. First, they use UV bulbs to attract mosquitos and other insects, and then they use an electric shock to kill the bugs that come in contact with the zapper. These mosquito killers come in all shapes and sizes, with a variety of ranges and features, such as a clogless design and a weatherproof build. These are the most common form of mosquito killers.
The Flowtron BK-15D is a mosquito killer that uses electricity to zap mosquitos and other insects. This unit kills bugs with a huge coverage area and requires minimal maintenance. It can also be used outdoors in any kind of weather, making it a great pick for anyone looking for a mosquito zapper.
Why We Recommend It
- Huge area of effectiveness. The Flowtron BK-15D has an incredible area of effectiveness, being able to zap mosquitos within a ½ acre range. This range is much wider than most of the mosquito zappers on the market, making it perfect for use in areas that have high populations of insects spread over larger areas.
- Maintenance free. This mosquito killer doesn’t use a disposal tray to store dead insects after zapping them. Instead, it features a patented non-clogging killing grid which naturally funnels dead insects out of the unit and onto the ground below. You may still need to clean the unit occasionally, but for the most part, the Flowtron BK-15D is maintenance free.
- Weatherproof. You can use the Flowtron BK-15D indoors or outdoors, but it’s better suited for outdoors use. The unit is completely weatherproof, meaning it won’t rust or crack if left outside for long periods of time.
- Additional attractant. While the unit uses UV bulbs to attract insects to the unit, you can also opt to purchase additional attractant to increase its overall effectiveness. The attractant greatly improves the Flowtron’s ability to attract and kill mosquitos and other bugs.
- Short power cord. The Flowtron BK-15D includes a short power cord, making it hard to place the unit in a flexible manner.
The Hoont Bug Zapper Bulb uses a creative and unique approach to killing mosquitos and other insects. Rather than be a standalone unit that plugs into the wall, this mosquito zapper screws directly into a light socket and acts like a light bulb. This approach gives you a more flexible and safe way to kill mosquitos without having to commit to a unit taking up counter or floor space.
Why We Recommend It
- Easy to install. One of the best aspects of the Hoont Bug Zapper Bulb is how easy it to install in your home. You simply screw the bulb into a light socket and flip the light switch to turn it on. You can also use this in lamps, making it an extremely flexible option.
- Non-clogging design. As the Hoont Bug Zapper Bulb kills insects, it employs a non-clogging design for its killing grid that encourages dead insects to fall to the bottom of the unit into the disposal tray. This tray will need to be emptied out occasionally, but the actual killing grid won’t get clogged with dead insects.
- Large coverage area. This mosquito zapper is small and compact, about the size of a light bulb, but that doesn’t decrease its coverage area. For its size, it has a pretty good coverage of up to 500 square feet. This makes it a perfect choice for individual rooms, offices, or other living spaces.
- Can’t use outside. The Hoont Bug Zapper Bulb is not weatherproof and shouldn’t be used outside where it might be exposed to the elements.
Best Mosquito Trap
Sometimes zapping mosquitos can be messy and require a lot of maintenance. Mosquito traps aim to make the process of killing pests quieter and easier. These products typically don’t rely on UV bulbs to attract mosquitos and don’t zap them. Instead, they attract mosquitos with sound and kill them by starving them or air drying them. These mosquito killers usually don’t have as wide a range as mosquito zappers, but they can be very efficient in smaller, enclosed spaces.
The Oittm Electronic Mosquito Killer doesn’t follow traditional models for killing mosquitos and other insects. This unique way of killing insects is quieter and easier to maintain. The unit uses a flexible USB power supply and sports a sleek, modern look that is attractive in any setting.
Why We Recommend It
- Completely safe and silent. The Oittm Electronic Mosquito Killer doesn’t kill mosquitos through pesticides or electric zaps. Instead it utilizes a 365 Nm wavelength to attract the mosquitos and then traps them inside the unit and air dries them. Since there aren’t any pesticides or electric killing grids, this mosquito killer is one of the safest on the market.
- Sucks in the mosquitos. While UV lights attract insects, some of them still get away, even when they are in close proximity to the electric killing grids. The Oittm Electronic Mosquito Killer sucks in mosquitos that come close to the unit, ensuring that there aren’t any close calls or escape.
- Powered by USB. To power the unit, you simply need to plug the USB cable into a computer or USB-compatible power adapter. This gives you greater flexibility and portability.
- Easy to clean. Zapping bugs can get messy and sticky. However, the Oittm Electronic Mosquito Killer air dries mosquitos and other insects, making it incredibly easy to maintain and clean up. Simply remove the storage container and dump the air-dried insects. No need for wiping or scraping.
- Limited positioning. Since many USB cables are short, you may have a limited range on how to position the unit.
Best Mosquito Fogger
Professional exterminators often use pesticides to get rid of mosquitos and other bugs. You can purchase a mosquito fogger to use the same kind of technique to clear large areas of your home or backyard. Foggers tend to cover areas with hard-to-reach places better than zappers or traps. So, if you have log piles or lots of vegetation in the area where you’re trying to kill mosquitos, you’ll definitely want to consider buying a mosquito fogger.
The Burgess 1443 mimics the process professional exterminators use to rid your living spaces of pests. It can effectively cover large areas in under 10 minutes and continues to kill and repel mosquitos for hours after fogging. This unit is also portable and extremely easy to use, as well.
Why We Recommend It
- Large coverage area. The Burgess 1443 uses a pesticide fog to kill mosquitos and other insects. Fogging is extremely thorough and can spread out over large areas. This mosquito fogger can cover areas of up to 5,000 square feet. It’s also great at driving insects out of hard-to-reach areas like log piles and vegetation.
- Portable. This mosquito fogger is incredibly portable and flexible, especially since it doesn’t have to be attached to a power supply with a power cord. Instead, it uses a small tank of propane and fire to distribute the pesticide. You can also use the fogger in a single hand, and it doesn’t take up a ton of space.
- Kills and repels. While most mosquito killers only aim to kill insects, the Burgess 1443 kills any insects present and repels all newcomers for up to 6 hours after fogging. This gives you a time of peace where no mosquitos are bothering you during the time period.
- Fast and effective. You don’t have to wait a long time to see effects after fogging your yard or living space with the Burgess 1443. You can fog the area in under 10 minutes and start seeing immediate effects. You also won’t have to wait hours before you can enter the area.
- Requires more precautions. Since the Burgess 1443 uses pesticides to kill and repel mosquitos, you will need to be more careful using it than you do with other mosquito killers. This often means you’ll need to wear a mask and other protective gear while fogging.