BEST LEGO SETS | NOVEMBER 2017
Legos are a fun way to pass the time for children and adults of all ages and skill levels. They come in different sizes, colors, themes, and designs based on the user's personal preferences. With so many options, it may be difficult for some people to know where to start looking. With that in mind, our team conducted extensive research to determine the best Lego sets across three major categories – Best Lego Sets for Toddlers, Best Lego Sets for Beginners, and Best Lego Sets for Master Builders. Read more about our methodology.
The Star Wars X-Wing Fighter is the perfect addition to your Lego collection. It comes with three mini figures and useable weapons. The accessories include a weapon rack, access ladder, retractable landing gear, and moveable wings.Read full review.
The Classic Creative Supplement has 303 pieces in 20 different colors. It comes with ideas to get the building process started. The set is compatible with other Legos, so it’s the perfect addition to a child’s collection.Read full review.
Lego Sets BUYING GUIDE
Level of Expertise
With so many Lego options to choose from, you’ll have to narrow your search by selecting the age group and expertise level of the builder. Look for Duplo sets for toddlers that have large blocks and easy instructions. Try to find beginner sets for children between the ages of 4 and 7. If you’re buying for an adult or consider yourself an expert or master builder, you’ll want to find a set with a high piece count and complex building instructions.
Mini figures are the little toy Lego action figures that come included in some sets. The best sets have more mini figures that are unique. These figures can be pilots, car drivers, families, or even animals such as a dog. It’s important to find sets with mini figures because they are a great addition to someone’s Lego collection. They also help enhance the playing experience.
While some sets contain a variety of basic Lego bricks, other kits have a theme. Themes include superheroes, movies, cities and many more. You’ll want to consider the age and demographic of the user to determine the best theme.
Accessories and additional features
The best Lego sets have cool bonus features in addition to the standard bricks. For example, you can build a plane that has moveable wings and spring-spring loaded weapons attached. There are also sets that include vehicles with wheels, so your mini figures can drive around. The accessories make the sets more fun to play with and allow your child to be creative when they finish building the set.
You can find a Lego supplement set that has over 300 pieces and 20 different colors for less than $15. These basic sets don’t come with instructions or mini figures, but they are a great addition to an existing collection. A Lego set for toddlers has features like big bricks, which make it easy for them to build. These kits typically sell for around $25. Beginner sets are intended for children between the ages of 4 and 7. You can find these between $25 and $40. Expert sets for master builders have a higher piece count, complex instructions, mini figures, and other accessories. These range from $45 to $65.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
Star Wars is one of the most popular Lego themes. And Star Wars and Lego fans alike will love this Lego X-Wing Fighter. It comes with new mini figures that include Poe Dameron. The set has four spring-loaded shooters and two stud shooters. The wings are moveable, and the landing gear is retractable as well. All of these enhance the playing experience.
Why We Recommend It
- Star Wars theme. This is a perfect kit for anyone that’s a fan of Star Wars. You can recreate your favorite scenes from the movies. It’s also a great addition to any other Star Wars Lego sets that are already in your house.
- Three mini figures. The set comes with Poe Dameron, who is a well-known fictional Star Wars character. It also comes with a ground crew member and a Resistance X-Wing Pilot figure.
- Usable weapons. Take advantage of the four spring-loaded shooters on the fighter jet. In addition to those four shooters, you can also use two different stud shooters. The weapons enhance your child’s playing experience.
- Customized accessory features. The X-Wing Fighter is more than just a plane. It has retractable landing gear and movable wings. There is a weapon rack to store extra ammunition and an open cockpit for the pilot. It also comes with an access ladder for the mini figures to climb.
- Not for young children. Lego recommends the kit for children over the age of 8. It’s a complex build that may be difficult for beginners. Small pieces may pose a chocking hazard with young kids.
There are over 300 pieces in 20 different colors in the Classic Creative Supplement set. It’s a great gift for Lego collectors because it’s compatible with other kits and sets. There are ideas included in the package to get your child’s creative mind started. You can also find online access to these starter ideas.
Why We Recommend It
- Different colored bricks. The set comes with bricks that are 20 different colors. This wide color range inspires creativity and options to build.
- Over 300 pieces. With a 303-piece count, the Classic Creative Supplement set is great for both beginner and moderate skill levels. Children have enough pieces to build different structures, but too many pieces that it becomes overwhelming.
- Great addition to Lego collection. As a supplement set, it’s compatible with other Legos in your household. Your child can build something independently with the contents of this box, or use it as an addition to one of their other Lego projects.
- Ideas included. Although there is not a specific set of instructions to build a house, building, or castle, the set comes with ideas to get you started. You can also access an online version of these ideas.
- Mini figures not included. The supplement set doesn’t come with any mini figures. Children will need to use mini figures from previous purchases with this kit.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Lego Set for Toddlers
Lego sets for toddlers are made to enhance their motor skills while having fun at the same time. These kits have larger bricks, so it’s easy for young children with small hands to build with them – and they pose less of a choking hazard. The best Lego sets for toddlers come with mini figures and vehicles so kids can have fun for hours playing with their toys, even after the building process is over. These sets are great gifts from parents or grandparents if you have a toddler in your family.
The Duplo Creative Play set comes with a storage container to neatly keep all the blocks when they aren’t in use. It comes with large blocks, so it’s perfect for toddlers to build. There are numbered bricks that serve as an educational tool as well as a mini figure boy, dog, and wagon included.
Why We Recommend It
- Large blocks. The big blocks make it easier for toddlers to build and play with. Since toddlers have smaller and weaker hands than older kids, they can’t build with smaller Lego bricks.
- Storage container included. When your child isn’t playing or building with this set, the blocks all fit in a storage box. The storage box is shaped like a giant Lego brick, so your child will know exactly what’s inside the container.
- Numbered bricks. Your child can practice their counting skills with the numbered bricks. They can match the numbers and put them in order as an educational tool while they play.
- Accessories included. The set comes with a toy boy figure and a dog. It also features as a buildable wagon that has four wheels, which allows the wagon to roll on flat surfaces.
- Choking hazard. Though this set features larger bricks, toddlers should always be supervised while playing with this set.
Best Lego Set for Beginners
Beginner Lego sets are perfect for children ages 4 to 7. These teach them how to follow directions and instructions to reach an end goal. Lego sets for beginners encourage an independent building experience, so they won’t need help from parents, grandparents, or older siblings while they build their masterpiece. These sets usually come with some mini figures, vehicles, or other bonus features that enhance the playing experience even after the set is built.
The Spider-Man theme is ideal for any child that loves Marvel and superheroes. With only 137 pieces, it’s easy to complete for beginner level builders. There are three new mini figures, as well as three different vehicles included in the set.
Why We Recommend It
- Less than 150 pieces. The low piece count makes this set perfect for beginners and new builders. It’s challenging enough to keep them occupied while they follow the instructions, but not too difficult for them to finish.
- Spider-Man theme. If your child or grandchild is fan of Marvel movies or comic books, this is the perfect gift for them. The super hero theme enhances the playing experience after the building process is complete.
- Three new mini figures. You’ll get a Spider-Man figure as well as a police officer and Green Goblin figure. Your child can let his or her imagination run wild playing with these new toys.
- Vehicles included. Each mini figure also comes with their own vehicle. Spider-Man has a helicopter to chase after the Green Goblin, who has an air glider. The police officer uses a motorbike to get around.
- Not suitable for all children. If a child does not like superheroes, they may not be interested in this set. The theme is intended for Spider-Man fans.
Juniors Family House has easy to follow instructions for new builders to follow. It comes with three new mini figures as well as a dog and doghouse. The large rooms and accessories make it a fun toy to play with, even after the building process is complete.
Why We Recommend It
- Easy to follow instructions. The instructions encourage an independent building experience. Even though the set is made for beginners, children can build the Family House without the help of their parents or older siblings.
- Fun to play with. The fun doesn’t stop when the set is complete. This house has a kitchen, living room, bathroom, and bedroom. It even comes wit a bike and swimming pool. Children can use their imagination and play with the house once it’s built.
- Dog and dog house. You’ll get a dog and doghouse to go along with the family of mini figures. The other figures include a Mom, Dad, and daughter. All of these figures are a great addition to your child’s toy collection.
- Small pieces. If you’re child is on the younger side of the recommended age group for this set, they may have some trouble building with some of the smaller pieces.
Best Lego Set for Master Builders
If you’re an adult, or buying for an adult, you need to find a set that’s intended for master builders. Teenagers or skilled children are also capable of completing these sets. The best Lego sets for master builders have high piece counts and complex building instructions. They should take several hours to complete. The finished products usually make great decorations for a room, desk, or office. These are perfect for people that enjoyed playing and building with Legos as a child and want to continue with more challenging sets.
Lego’s New York City Architecture Skyline features the Statue of Liberty, One World Trade Center, Flatiron Building, Chrysler Building, and Empire State Building. The durable set is built to scale and comes with an informational book about the history of each building. It’s a perfect gift for master builders.
Why We Recommend It
- Five recognizable NYC buildings. People will know exactly what city skyline this is based on the buildings and monuments in the set. It features the Flatiron Building, Statue of Liberty, One World Trade Center, the Chrysler Building, and the Empire State Building.
- Informational booklet included. Your set comes with an educational tool as well. The booklet has information about the history, architecture, and designer of each building. It also has historical facts about other parts of New York City.
- Realistic scale size. All the buildings are built to scale, so you can see the how the sizes of these buildings compare to each other in real life. It also has a decorative nameplate that says “New York City.”
- Durable when complete. Even though many of these buildings are tall and skinny, you won’t have to worry about them falling or breaking once you’re done. Even the tallest buildings are durable.
- Lacks fine detail. Although all the buildings and monuments are recognizable, they lack fine detail when you look at them up close, which irks some users.
The Santa’s Workshop is great for expert builders to share the experience with their children. It comes with a separate set of instructions and bricks for kids. Master builders can add six new mini figures to their collection. The holiday-themed set is a perfect household decoration once it’s complete.
Why We Recommend It
- Duel building experience. Santa’s Workshop comes with a separate set of bricks and instructions for children, which make it great for the whole family. Adults can enjoy a challenging project while their kids work on a smaller and easier section.
- Six mini figures included. The set comes with new mini figures for your collection. You’ll receive Santa with a red gift bag and Mrs. Claus with a cookie tray. It also coms with four elves that have pointed hats and ears.
- Holiday themed. The Christmas theme is perfect for the holidays. You can start a tradition with your family to build this every year together. It makes for a great decoration in the house when it’s complete.
- Missing parts. A handful of users did not receive the proper piece count in their box. This issue made it impossible for them to complete their set.
The Star Wars U-Wing Fighter comes with 659 pieces, which makes it a great option for expert builders. Each wing moves independently to allow complete customization. You’ll also get five new mini figures that make a great addition to your collection. The U-Wing fighter has bonus features that include a rear storage area, spring-loaded shooters, and sliding side door.
Why We Recommend It
- Over 650 pieces. The Rebel U-Wing fighter has 659 pieces in this set, so it’s not for beginners. Master builders can enjoy building this set for hours if they like a challenging task.
- Different modes for the wings. Each wing moves independently, which allows for complete customization. You can set the wings completely forward, all the way back, to the sides, or a combination of each based on your personal preference.
- Includes five mini figures. The set comes with new mini figures to add to your collection. You’ll get the U-Wing Pilot, Jyn Erso, Bistan, Cassian Andor, and a Rebel Trooper.
- Cool bonus features. It has moveable sliding doors on the side where you can set a mini figure. The shooters are spring loaded, and there’s a rear storage area to hold extra gear. The cockpit has a transparent observation window as well.
- Suited for Star Wars fans. This is a great set, but if you or the person you're giving it to aren't into Star Wars, you may want to consider a different one.