BEST LAPTOP COOLING PADS | NOVEMBER 2017
If you’re a gamer, video editor, graphic designer, or overall high-performance user, you know just how hot your laptop can get at times. Hot laptops mean hot laps, which never makes for a comfortable time. With that in mind, our team researched a variety of laptop cooling solutions to find the best fit for laptops that get hot. Your laptop and your needs are unique, so check out our buying guide below to learn more about the key features and considerations for the different laptop cooling pads we researched. Read more about our methodology.
The Nnewvante Bamboo Laptop Desk is sleek, attractive, and functional. It offers an effective cooling fan and a functional desk portion for you to store office materials. Being made from bamboo, the cooling pad is also durable and naturally absorbs the heat your laptop emits.Read full review.
The Mobility Laptop Cooling Pad cools your laptop with four high-powered fans and looks cool while doing so. Combine its price with a slim profile, extra USB port and adjustable height, and this makes for a great pick for anyone looking for a laptop cooling pad.Read full review.
Laptop Cooling Pads BUYING GUIDE
If you’re purchasing a laptop cooling pad, you obviously want the product to do its job effectively and efficiently. As such, the first thing you should consider is how well the pad cools down your laptop. This relies on a variety of different factors. Laptop cooling pads with fans often measure how hard the fans blow in cubic feet per minute (CFM). A higher CFM rate will mean more air circulation. Cooling pads without fans use materials and open space to encourage air circulation. Check the location of air vents on your laptop and consider if the passive cooling pad you buy matches up well enough to encourage easier air flow.
Our research covers the three main cooling methods: active, passive and vacuum fans. Each type of laptop cooling pad comes with its pros and its cons, but your individual taste should matter most when it comes to this decision. Fans are powerful, but noisier. Passive cooling pads are sleeker and silent, but don’t cool as efficiently. Vacuum fans are high-tech but may be inconvenient latched onto your laptop. Chose the cooling method that works best in tandem with the way you use your laptop on a daily basis.
While laptop cooling pads without fans don’t make any noise at all, you’ll have to consider noise levels for cooling pads with fans and vacuum coolers. Since both of these have moving fans, they’re going to make some noise, but that doesn’t mean they have to be louder than an airplane takeoff. More powerful fans tend to be louder, and higher CFM rates might indicate a noisier cooling pad.
Laptop cooling pads without fans rely on build quality to cool laptops efficiently, so it should be an important feature to consider if you want a cooler without fans. The type of material it’s made of can be a heat sink in and of itself, which can work to more effectively cool your laptop down. Build quality is important for all laptop cooling pads, as well, because you want yours to last for as long as your laptop does, or even longer.
For under $20, you can get a budget laptop cooling pad. Active cooling pads in this range typically offer lower CFM rates, while passive cooling pads in this range usually only offer open space as a cooling option and lack heat-absorbing materials. Laptop cooling pads in the $20-$40 range will satisfy the needs of most consumers. They offer powerful fans, high build quality and other features such as adjustable heights. High-end laptop cooling pads, above $40, typically offer more fans with higher CFM rates and are usually made from materials that are more durable and heat absorbent.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Nnewvante Bamboo laptop desk is aesthetically pleasing, multi-functional, durable and efficient, easily qualifying it as the top pick for laptop cooling pads. The cooling pad functions with a single fan, and it also features passive cooling features. You can also adjust the height of this cooling pad to fit your preferences.
Why We Recommend It
- Incredible build quality. The Nnewvante Bamboo laptop desk is built from high-quality bamboo, as indicated in the name of the product. Bamboo is naturally an excellent heat-absorbent material which also absorbs ultraviolet radiation. The bamboo also makes for an aesthetically pleasing cooling pad that is also incredibly durable.
- Quiet and powerful fan. The cooling fan on this laptop cooling pad is quiet and efficient. It blows powerfully enough to cool down heavy-use gaming and design laptops efficiently, without having to worry about fan noise. To power the fan, you simply plug the provided USB cable into your computer.
- Portable and adjustable. The Nnewvante Bamboo laptop desk can fold completely flat for extra portability. It also features five different adjustable heights, making it flexible to use on your lap or on a solid surface. Each moving part includes a safety lock for added stability and safety.
- Extra desk features. This laptop cooling pad can also double as a laptop desk, with extra space to hold papers, a cup, your phone, or any other office supplies. The cooling pad even features a drawer with more storage space.
- The raised fan area doesn’t fit laptops bigger than 15 inches. If you have a laptop bigger than 15 inches, you won’t be able to use it on the raised portion of this laptop cooling pad.
The Mobility laptop cooling pad is jam-packed with all the features and cooling power you would expect from an expensive, high-end laptop cooling pads, at a much more affordable price. With four USB-powered fans, an ultra-slim profile and an extra USB hub for added convenience, this laptop cooling pad is the perfect choice for consumers on a budget.
Why We Recommend It
- Powerful and quiet fans. The Mobility laptop cooling pad includes four powerful fans that are powered via your laptop’s USB ports. The fans operate quietly and efficiently, cooling your laptop down in a short amount of time. They are also positioned on the pad so as to maximize the chance of covering all of your laptop’s air vents.
- Slim and portable. Portability is a key feature of laptop cooling pads and this pad doesn’t disappoint. At only 1.5 inches tall, when folded flat, it is incredibly slim and portable, making it a great choice to take on the go.
- Extra USB ports. Powering a laptop cooling pad via USB means you lose a USB port on your laptop. To solve this problem, the Mobility laptop cooling pad includes an additional USB port so you can plug in another USB-powered device and not have to worry about taking up more ports.
- Excellent and convenient build quality. This laptop cooling pad is build from high-quality materials that are designed to absorb heat form your laptop. It also includes two legs on the back that flip out for a raised platform and laptop stoppers that keep your laptop from sliding off the pad when it’s raised.
- You can’t turn off the LED lights. The Mobility laptop cooling pads includes LED lights that turn on when the pad is plugged in. However, you cannot turn these lights off, and your laptop may not cover them completely, which could cause a distracting experience.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Laptop Cooling Pad with Fans
Also known as active laptop cooling pads, these pads are built with integrated fans that provide faster and more powerful cooling. High-performance laptops typically heat up much faster, which makes these laptop cooling pads the ideal solution. Laptop cooling pads with fans also try to achieve the edgy, high-tech look—sharp angles and LEDs—that many gamers have come to know. Of course, you can also find these kinds of cooling pads in a subtler style, if the gamer aesthetic doesn’t appeal to you.
With five incredibly quiet and powerful fans, the MECO Laptop Cooler stands out among other active laptop cooling pads. It also includes a variety of adjustable heights and a convenient temperature control and display panel on the front of the unit, making this a clear winner for the best laptop cooling pad with fans category.
Why We Recommend It
- Ultra-powerful and quiet fans. The MECO laptop cooling pad is built with five integrated cooling fans. These fans can blow with a speed of up to 2,500 RPMs, making them incredibly powerful and efficient. They also spin quietly, creating a comfortable cooling experience.
- Incredibly convenient control panel. Most laptop cooling pads offer an on/off switch when it comes to controlling the fans, but the MECO laptop cooler features a convenient and easy-to-use control panel. The panel gives you control over how fast the fans spin, and it even lets you control how many fans are spinning at any given time. You can also turn the LED lights on and off.
- Wide variety of adjustable heights. With five different adjustable heights, you can expect a greater level of comfort and flexibility with this laptop cooling pad. The unit also features deeper groves for the legs when adjusting the height, so you won’t have to worry about instability.
- Extra USB port. Having a USB-connected laptop cooling pad means one less USB port for you to use, but the MECO laptop cooler includes an extra USB port so you don’t have to sacrifice ports for convenience.
- The control panel buttons are hard to push. While the control panel is a wonderfully convenient addition to this laptop cooling pad, the buttons on the control panel can be harder to push and hold. This can result in mistakenly changing modes or powering the unit off.
The Vanble laptop cooling pad is designed wide enough to fit laptops up to 17 inches and has two different adjustable heights, making it a flexible option for consumers looking at active cooling solutions. It also features three powerful and quiet fans and an extra USB port.
Why We Recommend It
- Powerful fans. The Vanble laptop cooling pad features three integrated fans that spin at speeds of up to 1,100 RPMs that can blow air at 65 CFMs, making this one of the more powerful laptop cooling pads with fans. The fans also operate quietly to ensure a comfortable experience.
- Ergonomic design. This laptop cooling pad was designed with comfort in mind. It has an ergonomic design with two adjustable heights, allowing you to get as comfortable as you can while using your laptop.
- Extra USB port. Because it’s powered via USB, the Vanble laptop cooling pad offers an extra USB port that you can use to power other USB devices. This is especially important if you have a limited number of USB ports available to you in the first place.
- The power switch is harder to access. The power switch for the unit is tucked away in the back of the casing, making it harder to turn on and off.
Best Laptop Cooling Pad without Fans
Laptop cooling pads without fans are also called passive cooling pads. As the title states, these cooling pads don’t use fans to cool down your laptop. Instead, they are constructed in a way that encourages better air circulation so your laptop’s internal fans do the work. Some laptop cooling pads without fans also make use of material that can efficiently absorb the heat from your laptop, however, these pads typically only work for a certain period of time before they become ineffective and need to be cooled down themselves.
In addition to keeping your computer at a comfortable temperature, laptop cooling pads without fans are all about design and aesthetic. The Cooler Master C-HS02-KA hits the mark on both points with a stylish and functional design that effectively prevents your laptop from heating up too much in the first place.
Why We Recommend It
- Effective passive cooling solution. The curved design of this laptop cooling pad allows for an increased level of air flow for your laptop’s air vents. This design effectively prevents your laptop from heating up from the moment you turn it on.
- Comfortable and ergonomic design. The Cooler Master C-HS02-KA offers a sleek and attractive curved design that’s both comfortable and ergonomic. The bottom side of the laptop cooling pad is cushioned, which provides the ultimate level of comfort if you’re using it on your lap.
- Flexible and adjustable. There are no moving parts on this laptop cooling pad, but it can still be adjusted according to your needs. The cooling pad is reversible – meaning you can flip it over, which raises your laptop more.
- Convenient storage groove. The Cooler Master C-HS02-KA includes a convenient groove on the back of the unit that allows you to store cables, phones, writing utensils and much more.
- Slippery surface. The hard plastic surface is slippery, which may result in you not being able to keep your laptop securely in place very well.
Best Portable Laptop Cooling Pad
Your laptop is portable, so its accessories should be portable too. Portable laptop cooling pads are typically thinner and easier to pack around without too much trouble. These can be either active or passive cooling pads, but the passive cooling pads tend to be more portable. Portable active cooling pads are typically powered via your laptop’s USB port and should be quieter than other fan-powered pads, especially if you’re using it in a crowded area.
The Havit HV-F2056 is slim, sleek and ergonomic, making it a perfect choice for consumers on the go that require portability. Its three integrated fans also cool your laptop with power and efficiency, all while staying quiet so as to not bother the people around you.
Why We Recommend It
- Ultra portable. When it comes to portable laptop cooling pads, slimness is the most important form factor to consider. Fans especially can increase the size of a cooling pad, but the Havit HV-F2056 measures in at an incredible 1.2 inches of thickness, which is much slimmer than other cooling pads. The unit can easily fit in a laptop sleeve along with your laptop.
- Quiet operation. When you’re working in public, the last thing you want to do is bother the people around you. This laptop cooling pad features super quiet fan operation without sacrificing on power or cooling efficiency.
- Height adjustable. Even though the Havit HV-F2056 is slim and portable, it doesn’t sacrifice on adjustability. The cooling pad offers two different height options with legs that fold out of the bottom of the unit.
- No laptop stoppers. The Havit HV-F2056 doesn’t have any laptop stoppers to keep your laptop from sliding off the unit. The surface is also slippery, so you may experience some movement while using the cooling pad.
Best Vacuum Fan Laptop Cooler
Vacuum fan laptop coolers connect to the side of your computer where the air vents are located. These fans work on cooling down both the internal and surface temperatures of your laptop. These are smaller, more portable solutions than a full-blown cooling pad, and they typically offer more advanced features, such as temperature control, fan speed options, and quiet operation.
These laptop coolers only work for computers that have air vents located on the sides or backs, which means they typically won’t work on MacBooks and UltraBook-style laptops.
The Opolar laptop fan cooler uses high-powered fans and an intuitive temperature display and multiple airflow speeds to quickly and efficiently cool down your laptop without the need for a bulky cooling pad. With a plug-and-play setup, vacuum fan laptop cooler is a great choice for laptops that are used for extended durations.
Why We Recommend It
- Incredibly efficient and powerful fans. Vacuum fan coolers work a little differently than traditional laptop cooling pads. Instead of blowing air to encourage air flow away from the machine, these types of units actually use their internal fans to suck the hot air out of your laptop. The Opolar laptop fan cooler’s fan moves at a rate of up to 5,000 RPMs, which is incredibly powerful.
- Plenty of control options. The Opolar laptop fan cooler offers 13 different fan speeds and two different modes of operation, all that you can control from the unit itself. The unit also displays the internal temperature of your laptop so you know exactly what kind of cooling power you need at any given moment.
- Easy installation. While it may seem intimidating to install, since the unit clamps onto the side or back of your computer, it actually features an easy, plug-and-play setup process. It has patented clamping arms that simply hold on to the laptop, giving you greater freedom of movement.
- Compact and portable. Because this unit is so small and compact, it provides a much greater portability. Since it’s free standing while clamped to your laptop, it also gives you better control over how you use your laptop, whether on your lap or on a flat surface.
- Does not work with MacBooks or UltraBooks. Because MacBooks and UltraBooks ventilate in different ways and are generally much thinner than the average laptop, this vacuum fan laptop cooler doesn’t work with them.