BEST HOVERBOARDS | NOVEMBER 2017
Tackle rocky trails or zoom down sidewalks with ease on a hoverboard. These self-balancing scooters offer numerous features and are designed for all types of riders — whether riding in a warehouse or covering mountainous trails. To help you choose a hoverboard best for your riding style and upcoming adventures, our team did extensive research to find the best hoverboard under $500, $400 and $300. For each selected product, we provide the specifications, key features and other considerations. If you don’t know what features to look for, are worried about the safety of the product and want to stay within a certain price range, check out our buying guide below. Read more about our methodology.
Whether riding on a sidewalk or rocky trails, you can travel on this hoverboard with ease. It boasts an indestructible aluminum frame and large 8.5-inch tires, making it an ideal option for those who want a more adventurous, rough rideRead full review.
Hoverboards BUYING GUIDE
Age and Size of Rider
Hoverboards are not meant for children under the age of 12. These products are powerful machines, and younger children may not have the control and balance to handle one. Additionally, as you look for the right hoverboard, you’ll want to consider the rider’s body size. Many of these products have a weight limit ranging between 200 to 450 pounds.
There is a lot of controversy surrounding the safety of hoverboards. In 2016, The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recalled more than 50,000 hoverboards as numerous products were catching fire and did not meet federal fire safety standards. To ensure the hoverboard you are looking at meets all safety standards, look for products certified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL). If a product meets safety standards, the product’s specifications or product description and features will state it is UL-2272 certified. All of the products on our list have received this certification.
Consider how durable the hoverboard is, particularly if you plan to ride it on rough and rocky terrain. Some products are built more for outdoor use. These products may boast tubeless tires, durable metals, scuff guards and are water resistant. Other products, general lower-priced hoverboards, are best for flat, paved landscape such as sidewalks, inside a home or in a warehouse.
The battery life is a critical component of a hoverboard. Without a powerful battery, you won’t be able to enjoy fast speeds or far distances. Many products can travel between six to 15 miles on a single battery charge. However, heavier users will find the battery drains more quickly than lighter individuals. Additionally, consider the charge time. Look for products that take only a few short hours to charge the battery. The best charge times are 120 minutes or less.
Hoverboards under $300 are ideal for people who want the excitement of the hoverboard but don’t need all the features that higher-priced products offer. These lower-priced products are typically built with durability in mind, but they don’t go as fast nor as far as higher-priced products. As you go up in price, the number of features increase as well. Hoverboards around $500 are generally built to handle all types of terrain and can go up to 12 miles per hour and 15 miles on a single battery charge. The most expensive hoverboards on the market can reach up to $1,000 and are able to easily climb rocky hills, have extremely long battery lives and can reach high speeds with ease.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Halo Rover is an excellent option for riders who want to cover all types of terrain. Its aluminum frame and 8.5-inch tires can handle both flat and rough landscape with ease, and its ability to travel up to 10 miles an hour helps you get to your destination quickly. It boasts Bluetooth capabilities, allowing you to play music right from your hoverboard, and it syncs to a mobile app, which provides real-time feedback regarding your ride and lets you adjust your speed, steering and other settings.
Why We Recommend It
- Ideal for all terrain. This hoverboard is built to travel wherever you desire. It features an aluminum frame that is heavy duty and can handle running over rocks and sticks with ease. It also boasts large 8.5-inch tires, which can easily travel through mud, grass, dirt and other landscapes. Furthermore, large LED headlights help you see and be seen as you travel at night.
- Bluetooth capabilities. Connect the hoverboard to your mobile device and play music right from the hoverboard’s speakers. Using the Bluetooth capabilities, you can sync to a mobile app and adjust the hoverboard’s speed, steering, sensitivity, modes and other features.
- Three mode options. Choose between three riding modes — learning, normal and advanced — depending on your familiarity with a hoverboard. These mode options are a unique feature and greatly enhance your own personal experience on the device.
- Transporting and storing is simple. The Halo Rover includes a protective hard case, shoulder strap and handles to easily carry your hoverboard.
- Large dimensions. One of the first things you will notice about this product is its large size. Measuring 28” x 8.7” x 9.5,” and weighing a hefty 32 pounds, this hoverboard is best for adults and those who can handle its bulky design.
The Veeko is a powerful hoverboard with a budget-friendly price tag. It features fast speeds and a long battery life, both features you will see in higher-priced models. It is an excellent product for lightweight and younger riders as it can only accommodate riders up to 225 pounds without affecting the board’s performance. It also has all the tools you need to ensure you have a smooth ride when traveling on flat landscapes.
Why We Recommend It
- Fast speeds. Riders can go up to 9.6 miles per hour on this device, similar to the speeds you will see on higher-priced models.
- Excellent battery life. You can travel 6 to 9 miles on a single battery charge with this hoverboard. Even better, when charging this device, it takes only two to three hours to fully charge the device.
- Ideal option for beginners. The Veeko boasts a professional gyroscope, acceleration sensor and servo-control system, which ensures this hoverboard stays balanced while in use. These features combine to create a fast learning environment and smooth and pleasant rides.
- Not ideal for rugged terrain. The Veeko features 6.5-inch aluminum alloy wheels and rubber tires, which can travel on sidewalks and around warehouses with ease. However, you’ll have a difficult time riding over large rocks, sticks and other obstacles on a rough trail.
- Low weight capacity. Heavier individuals will not enjoy the fast speeds and long battery range offered by this product. The hoverboard’s power decreases for riders over the recommended weight limit.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Hoverboard Under $500
You should buy a hoverboard under $500 if you want a product with an extensive and advanced feature set. These self-balancing scooters can typically handle rough terrain and offer much faster and more powerful speeds. Hoverboards in this price range often come with Bluetooth capabilities, allowing you to play music during your rides and feature long battery lives — letting you travel more than 10 miles on a single battery charge.
The SwagTron T6 is a powerful hoverboard ideal for users of all sizes and with an adventurous spirit. It’s tubeless, 10-inch tires make it easy to travel over all types of terrain and it is water resistant and dust-proof so dirt, mud and sand are no obstacle. It can reach speeds up to 12 miles per hour and can go more than 12 miles on a single battery charge, which are capabilities you won’t find on many similar products.
Why We Recommend It
- 10-inch tubeless tires. The large size of these tires lets you easily overcome obstacles on your ride and offers excellent traction as you travel. Plus, the tubeless design means you don’t have to worry about sharp objects puncturing your tires and ruining your ride.
- Great option for heavy riders. Riders up to 420 pounds can enjoy the power of the SwagTron T6 without affecting its performance. This is much higher than many similar products as their capacity is only 250 pounds or less.
- Long battery life. Travel up to 12 miles on a single battery charge. This allows you to cover more trail on a single ride.
- Bluetooth capabilities. Connect your hoverboard to your mobile device and enjoy music from your hoverboard’s speakers. You can also sync the hoverboard to a mobile app to control your settings and receive feedback on your latest rides.
- Prone to scratches and scuff marks. After riding on rugged trails, many users say scuff marks and scratches are highly visible on the SwagTron T6's body. A rough day on the trails could mean a beat up hoverboard.
Best Hoverboard Under $400
If you want a reliable, powerful and durable hoverboard, you may want to consider a self-balancing scooter under $400. These products generally boast fast speeds and can travel several miles on a single battery charge. Additionally, many products in this price range offer the advanced features that higher-priced products boast including Bluetooth capabilities, customizable LED lights and a durable design.
The TOMOLOO Self-Balancing Scooter is easy to ride and offers many innovative features, making it an excellent option for both beginners and advanced users. You can travel approximately 12 miles on a single battery charge and it only takes approximately two hours to fully charge the device, a much shorter time frame than similar devices. It offers Bluetooth capabilities and a lightweight frame. However, if speed is your main priority, you’ll want to look elsewhere.
Why We Recommend It
- Outstanding 12-mile range. You can travel up to 12 miles on a single battery charge. Plus, it only takes 120 minutes to fully charge the device, which is one of the shortest charging periods we saw.
- Eight board lights. The hoverboard boasts four RGB lights on the front of the board’s body and four on the back, to make riding in the dark a fun and safe experience. Additionally, you can adjust the light’s color and effects.
- Control settings and features from a mobile device. Using the integrated Bluetooth capabilities, you can sync your hoverboard to a mobile app, letting you easily adjust your speed, steering and other features.
- Slower speeds. This hoverboard can reach a maximum speed of 8 miles per hour. This is considerably lower than comparable products who boast maximum speeds up to 12 or 13 miles per hour.
The Razor Hovertrax 1.0 is an extremely durable hoverboard. It boasts a shatter-resistant frame and rubber wheels that let you ride over various kinds of terrain without wearing out too quickly. It can hold up to 220 pounds, making it an excellent option for younger teens and smaller individuals. It has a maximum speed of six miles per hour so if you desire a fast ride, you’ll want to look elsewhere.
Why We Recommend It
- Excellent option for kids. This hoverboard is simple to ride and offers great balance. It has a 220-pound weight limit, so lightweight and average-sized adults will benefit most from its power.
- Durable construction. You can take the hoverboard on many adventures without worrying about damaging its frame. The Razor Hovertrax 1.0 is made from shatter-resistant polymer and rubber wheels, so you can enjoy your rides without worrying about destroying your device.
- Easy to learn on. If you are new to hoverboards, this Razor product is an excellent option to learn on. It features anti-slip foot platforms, letting you easily steer and maneuver the hoverboard while feeling in control. It includes gyro sensor technology, helping improve the balance and keeping your ride smooth.
- Slow maximum speed. This hoverboard has a maximum speed of 6 miles per hour, making it one of the slowest hoverboards we reviewed. While it is still durable, you just can’t travel too fast.
Best Hoverboard Under $300
If you want a reliable hoverboard, particularly for riding around your home or on flat landscape, you should consider a hoverboard under $300. These products generally offer many of the same design features as higher-priced products but feature slower speeds and shorter battery lives. These products are great for children and teens who want the freedom of a hoverboard, but without all the advanced features that drive up the price.
The Eyourlife Self-Balancing Scooter is extremely easy to ride. With its gyro sensors, you can enjoy a smooth and balanced ride and its shatter-resistant frame and 6.5-inch tires ensure you can handle most obstacles that come your way. This hoverboard is best for flat, less rocky landscape, and it is ideal for lightweight and average-sized teens and adults due to its 220-pound weight limit.
Why We Recommend It
- Durable design. Built with a shatter-resistance polymer frame, bumper protection and 6.5-inch tires, this hoverboard can take a beating. You won’t have to worry about an obstacle in the road damaging your device.
- Feel in control. The non-skid footpad not only helps keep you from slipping off the hoverboard, it helps you more firmly plant your feet on the device, offering more control and balance as your ride.
- Great for night rides. The hoverboard boasts LED lights on the body of the device to warn others of your presence when riding during the night. They can also be used as decoration or to add a little pizazz to your rides.
- Not built for rugged terrain. This hoverboard is best for flat, paved surfaces. While the design is durable, it can only climb up to 15 degrees and the wheels are designed more for fashion than for continuous travel over rocks, sticks and other mountainous landscape.
- Can’t handle heavier riders. This hoverboard can handle riders up to 220 pounds without affecting the device’s performance. Obese and overweight riders will not enjoy the full speed nor battery life that this product can offer.