BEST HAIR CLIPPERS | NOVEMBER 2017
Hair clippers are a must-have tool for personal grooming. There are endless options at every price point, so you can find clippers that specifically suit you. In order to simplify the buying process, the ReviewLab team heavily researched clippers to find the best ones for different needs. You'll see our top picks for cordless clippers, clippers for styling, and more. We've provided accurate and important information about various features - motor style, blade material, convenience, and more. Read more about our methodology.
A powerful motor, professional design, and diverse features make the Wahl Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper our Best Overall pick. These commercial grade hair clippers are perfect for sharp haircuts, precise trimming, and much more.Read full review.
The PECHAM Professional Cordless Hair Clippers is an all-inclusive pick with an easily adjustable blade, user-friendly feel and plenty of accessories. The durable blade is designed to deliver precise results every time. And at a competitive price, it's easy to see why this is one of our best overall picks.Read full review.
If you need affordable hair clippers that offer exceptional results, then ReviewLab suggests Dr.HeiZ Professional Haircut Kit. These hair clippers provide everything you need for trimming, stylish haircuts, and more. A powerful but quiet motor make these clippers stand out, too. The price may be low, but the quality is impressive.Read full review.
The Sminiker Professional Cordless Rechargeable Hair Clippers are a complete hair clipping kit at an attractive price point. The cost is low, but this pick has all of the essentials you need - great clippers, styling tools, cleaning accessories, and more. Get a fresh, quality look every time with these hair clippers.Read full review.
Hair Clippers BUYING GUIDE
Motor Quality And Style
First, it's crucial to choose hair clippers with a quality motor. This is the heart of the product and affects many aspects of how it works. A good motor will cut through all hair types, reduce pulling and nicking, and speed up the cutting process. Electromagnetic, rotary, and pivot motors are the three available options. Electromagnetic motors are the most common and considered very reliable. Pivot and rotary motors are ideal for clippers that get used daily, as they're a bit stronger.
Attachment guides are the combs that attach to the blades of hair clippers. They allow you to cut at various lengths in a straight, even manner. Some clippers come with 4-5 attachment guides. These are often basic, popular sizes that will suit many needs. They're often used for general trimming and grooming. Other clippers come with 8 or more attachment guides. These hair clipper sets are more suitable for specific haircuts and versatile styling. They also allow you to work with different hair lengths. Some attachment combs are used to blend and fade hair with precision.
Blades are an essential factor to consider when buying hair clippers. Look for blades made from durable metals. Stainless steel is a common choice. Ceramic combined with metal is another popular and high-quality option. Blade sharpness is important, too. Dull blades are more likely to pull hair and cause razor burn or small cuts. Self-sharpening blades and rust resistant blades tend to last longer. However, self-sharpening only works to a certain extent. At some point, it's usually necessary to replace hair clipper blades.
Clippers that come with multiple accessories tend to be the most convenient options. Aside from attachment guards, there are other common accessories to look for. Examples include cleaning brushes, blade oil, haircutting shears, and more. The number of accessories you'll need is mostly a matter of personal preference. If you're looking to style hair, you'll want a broad selection. If you want a simple tool for trimming, a few attachment combs and a cleaning brush will get the job done.
Ease Of Use
Most buyers want clippers that aren't complicated or confusing. Look for clippers that are easy to clean and require little maintenance. Other helpful features include wet/dry functions, removable blades for cleaning, cordless functions, and more. These are all aspects to consider, and we've provided an array of options. They're all user-friendly, but some are particularly simple and convenient. If that's something you're looking for, keep an eye out for the features mentioned in this section.
Clippers in the $20 to $30 price range are pretty common. This price will typically get you quality clippers with essential tools. They may have fewer settings and accessories than more costly alternatives. If you want comprehensive accessories and a rotary motor, you'll likely pay between $40 to $60. These options cost more, but they're better picks for frequent use.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Wahl Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper set is ideal if you want one high-quality, multipurpose tool. The V5000 motor offers impressive power for fast yet precise trimming. A color-coded set of attachment combs and additional accessories ensure you have all you need for flawless results. The clippers feature a commercial grade eight-foot long cord that offers great convenience. This product truly hits all of the marks - superb quality, several must-have accessories, and a competitive price. If you want expert hair clippers that do it all, we recommend Wahl Professional Super Taper II Hair Clippers.
Why We Recommend It
- Heavy-duty motor for expert styling. The V500 motor in these clippers truly packs a punch. It's more powerful than the average electromagnetic motors found in at-home hair clippers. This means you'll get quick and precise results even with coarse or thick hair.
- Eight color-coded attachment combs. The attachment combs are color-coded to eliminate confusion. The eight sizes range from 1/8 inches to 1 inch. You can easily blend, taper, and get the exact style you want.
- Commercial quality blade. The #1006 blade is often featured on professional clippers used at barber shops. This blade allows you to get a noticeably smooth and steady shave.
- Quick, no-fuss use. Many buyers noted that these clippers are very easy to use. Some users also mention they get the job done quickly.
- May overheat during extended use. Due to the powerful motor, some users report that these hair clippers may get hot during use. However, this only seems to happen during haircuts that take longer than average.
- Motor is louder than other models. A handful of users pointed out that these clippers are somewhat loud. Again, this is because of the commercial grade V5000 motor.
Hair clippers that offer convenience, affordability and quality are ideal. That's why the PECHAM Professional Cordless Hair Clippers stand out from other options. With 8 hours of cordless use, you have plenty of time to groom. You can charge these hair clippers almost anywhere with the USB charging feature. Easily create standard styles using the four popular clipper sizes. The ceramic and titanium blade combo also ensure that these clippers are long-lasting. These clippers are truly an all-in-one option that suits many people.
Why We Recommend It
- Quiet performance suits everyone. At only 50 decibels, this quiet motor can be used day or night on adults, children, and babies. The quiet performance doesn't take away from the power of these hair clippers.
- USB charging feature. Users can charge these using any USB charging interface. This modern feature is convenient for use anywhere at any time.
- Long-lasting battery power. After charging for only 2 to 3 hours, you get a whopping 8 hours of cordless use. User feedback seems to back up this claim, too.
- Comes with must-have accessories. In addition to hair clippers, you get two rechargeable batteries, one USB charger cable, four comb attachments, and a cleaning brush. These accessories offer you essential options for many needs.
- Quality clippers reduce cut time. Many users note how quickly they can use these hair clippers. That makes it easy for you to get the haircut or shave you want in no time.
- Doesn't offer diverse combs. These hair clippers come with popular comb sizes - 3mm, 5mm, 7mm and 9mm. This selection suits many people but may not be ideal for diverse styles.
Dr.HeiZ Professional Haircut Kit is ideal for buyers who want economical clippers that don't lack essential features. The low-noise motor offers up to 60 minutes of handy cordless use. The IPX 7 waterproof design allows for wet/dry cutting, and you can fully wash these clippers with ease. Three comb attachments and a quality alloy blade easily meet all basic trimming and styling needs. If you want a truly cost-effective option that won't let you down, we think you should opt for these hair clippers.
Why We Recommend It
- Affordably offers everything you need. The low price tag doesn't mean the Dr.HeiZ Professional Haircut Kit is low-quality. The clippers themselves are equipped with a strong motor, a dull-resistant alloy blade, a cleaning brush, modeling knives, and more. It's truly an all-in-one type of kit.
- Wet/dry design is versatile. With these clippers, cleanup is a total breeze. The unit can be fully submerged in water for easy washing. This also means you can use it on wet skin, so your shaving preferences will be met.
- Up to 60 minutes of cordless use. When the hair clippers are fully charged, you get up to one hour of cordless use. This is plenty of time for a full shave or basic haircut.
- Popular and sleek design. Plenty of buyers note that these clippers are pretty stylish. This is a nice added bonus - you get great looking clippers without overspending.
- Does not come with oil. Both the product description and user reviews note that these clippers don't come with lubricating oil for hair clippers. This may not bother some buyers; oil for hair clippers is pretty inexpensive.
- Motor may not be as strong as alternatives. The motor is powerful, but not on par with heavy-duty options. These are satisfactory for basic trimming and fine to normal hair. But if you have coarse or thick hair, you may have to spend more time achieving your desired look.
The Sminiker Professional Cordless Rechargeable Hair Clippers are a frugal yet satisfying choice. They come with four attachment combs, stainless steel scissors, rechargeable batteries, and more. You get what you need for half the price of similar hair clippers. The lithium battery gives you up to 8 hours of use from just 2-3 hours charging time. The user-friendly design is great for beginners, and the ceramic and titanium blades do a superb job.
Why We Recommend It
- The titanium and ceramic blades. These clippers feature an ultra-precise blade titanium blade and ceramic movable blade. This combo is very durable, rust-resistant, and stays sharp.
- Small and ergonomic design. Several users note that the small, slender design makes these hair clippers easy to use. The R-shaped rounded edge makes these a safe pick; you'll avoid accidental nicks while trimming.
- Impressive set of accessories. This set has what most people need to meet their shaving needs. The accessories include 3, 6, 9 and 12-millimeter attachment combs, stainless steel haircut scissors, a petite cleaning brush, rechargeable batteries, and an AC adapter.
- Long-lasting batteries for cordless trims. A common theme in reviews was the long battery life these clippers have. The product description says they can be used for up to 8 hours when fully charged - user feedback seems to reflect this.
- Doesn't come with lubricating oil. Due to shipping restrictions, this set isn't sold with lubricating oil. But considering a bottle of oil is less than $5, this isn't that big of an issue.
- Scissors aren't very sharp. Some users note that the stainless steel scissors aren't as sharp as they'd like. So they may be best for small touch-ups versus major cutting and styling.
- Not ideal for bald shaving. A few users mentioned that these clippers aren't the best pick for shaving your head completely bald. But if you don't plan on using them for that purpose, this is a non-issue.
- Attachment clippers may not be true to size. A small portion of reviews note that the attachment clippers don't match their listed measurements. This point was not frequently mentioned, but it's something to consider.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Heavy Duty Hair Clippers
If you're seeking hair clippers that are built to last, we suggest choosing a heavy-duty option. This sturdy tool is equipped with a strong motor and heavy duty casing. Remington offers a lifetime warranty for these hard-wearing clippers, so you know they're the real deal.
Tough polycarbonate casing and a sturdy rubber grip combine so that the Remington HC5850 Virtually Indestructible Haircut & Beard Trimmer truly heavy-duty. A limited lifetime warranty ensures you get what you're promised. The torque motor and precision-ground blades a quick, clean, and easy cut no matter what your hair type may be. The industrial-strength 8-foot long power cord is built to last and offers plenty of length to work with. This set comes with eight comb attachments ranging from 1/8" to 1", a blade guard, scissors, cape, a cleaning brush, cleaning oil, and a strong storage case.
Why We Recommend It
- High-impact casing and tough rubber grip. Polycarbonate is a strong and heat-resistant plastic, so it's ideal for heavy-duty products like these clippers. The rubber grip is equally tough and features ridges for a solid grip.
- Motor is powerful yet quiet. The torque motor packs a punch and offers fast, precise performance. Despite this strength users mention the motor is quiet.
- Backed by Remington lifetime guarantee. Remington provides a free limited lifetime guarantee for these hair clippers, making these stand apart from dozens of other options.
- Solid yet lightweight design. Buyers note that these clippers feel solid yet surprisingly lightweight considering their design. This makes them easy for anyone to use.
- Trimmed hairs stick to rubber grip. Some users mention that trimmed hairs cling to the secure rubber grip. This may mean you'll need to spend an extra minute or so on cleanup.
Best Cordless Hair Clippers
If you're looking for freedom and convenience when shaving, we think you'll love these Queetus Hair Clippers Electric Trimmer Grooming Kit. The impressive run time ensures you'll get the job done without needing to recharge. You'll get a high-quality shave from every angle with these cordless clippers.
With a long-lasting battery and lightweight design, the Elehot Hair Clipper Trimmer Cutting Kit for Men is a fantastic cordless option. The set comes with two lithium-ion batteries, so you'll always have a backup to use. You easily get 70 minutes of runtime with these clippers, and many reviews reflect even longer runtimes. The four attachment combs are 3mm, 6mm, 9mm, and 12mm, so styling is simplified. Additionally, the blade length options are 0.8mm, 1.1mm, 1.4mm, 1.7mm, and 2.0mm. Backed by a quality motor and titanium-coated and ceramic blades, we're confident that this set meets all of your cordless hair clipper needs.
Why We Recommend It
- Lithium battery provides extended runtime. The user manual states that these hair clippers run for 70 minutes with a full charge. User reviews confirm this, and many say they get even more charge time. Some reviews mention several uses from one charge or up to 120 minutes of use. For a cordless unit, that's very impressive.
- Speed adjustment and motor offer more power. You can choose from two available speeds to meet your preferences. Combined with the precision motor, you can easily achieve the exact look you want.
- Titanium-coated and ceramic blades add quality. This combination of materials enhances the durability and strength of the blades. It also allows them to cut through thick, coarse hair with ease.
- Blades can be rinsed off for cleaning. The top portion is detachable, so you can wash it without any hassle.
- Takes 8 hours for a full charge. 8 hours may be a long charging time if you're in a hurry. Fortunately, this set comes with a spare battery. This eliminates the issue as long as one battery is charged.
- Instruction manual may be difficult to understand. Unfortunately, some users noted that the instruction manual isn't written in clear English. The picture guides are helpful, but you may need a bit of patience when reading the guide.
Best Easy-To-Use Hair Clippers
Do you want high-end clippers that are simple but effective Then we recommend the best easy-to-use pick. The adjustable blade lets you quickly find the perfect setting. The pivot motor is ultra powerful and works on wet or dry hair. You get simplicity backed by a solid reputation.
Oster Professional 76023-510 Fast Feed Clippers offer impressive quality without unnecessary bells and whistles. These particular hair clippers are used in barber shops and salons alike. Despite this, they're easy enough for regular at-home use. The adjustable blade lets you change the length of cut without needing guards. However, it does come with eight attachment combs for your convenience. Backed by a pivot motor and wet/dry capabilities, these clippers are simple while still meeting all of your needs.
Why We Recommend It
- Blade offers all-in-one options. For a close shave, you get multiple options without needing extra tools. You can get a super close shave or medium shave by simply adjusting the blade.
- Pivot motor for wet/dry use You can use these clippers whenever it's most convenient for you. Whether you're working with wet hair or trimming a dry beard, the motor and blades get the job done.
- Motor twice as powerful as magnetic motors. The pivot motor provides superb quality, and user reviews reflect this. This strong motor makes cuts and trims smooth and easy.
- Doesn't pull or irritate skin. Many buyers mention that these clippers stand apart from others because they don't pull hair.
- The clippers are somewhat heavy. Some users noted that these clippers feel heavy. This isn't unusual for clippers with strong motors, so you may not be bothered by the weight.
- Unit may get hot during use. Once again, this is somewhat common for hair clippers. They can feel a bit hot during prolonged use. Keep this in mind and take breaks if they get too warm during lengthy use.
Best Hair Clippers For Styling
If you want to create professional hairstyles at home, consider our pick for the best clippers for styling. This comprehensive set comes with everything you need to create fresh looks. From ultra-precise blades to must-have accessories, your DIY haircut needs will be satisfied.
At-home hairstyling is made simple with Andis 20-Piece All Hair Clipper at Home Haircutting Kit. The 12 attachment combs offer 9 options for length and 3 for blending and tapering. The clippers are designed to easily cut wet and dry hair, making this tool even more beneficial. The stainless steel blades are sharp, precise, and adjustable - getting the length you want is effortless. Additionally, this set comes with two combs, oil, a cleaning brush, and haircut scissors.
Why We Recommend It
- Includes 12 diverse attachment combs. The kit includes comb sizes #0 through #8 - 1/16 inches up to 1 inch. It also offers a blending comb, left taper comb, and right taper comb. This is an impressive range that makes it easier to achieve specific styles.
- Stainless steel blades adjust easily. You can adjust the high-quality stainless steel blades to meet your preferred length.
- Wet/dry options offer more convenience. These clippers can be used on wet or dry hair. This can eliminate the need to blow dry hair and may simplify the haircutting process.
- Set comes with scissors for touch-ups. These styling scissors allow you to cut any stray hairs, ensuring your end result is exactly what you want.
- Weight feels comfortable for users. Some buyers mention that these clippers feel user-friendly. They're not too heavy but also don't feel cheap.
- Cord seems shorter than average. Some users note that the 6-foot long cord is shorter than what they'd prefer. However, the users don't note that it impacts ease of use.
Best Hair Clippers For Kids
The best hair clippers for kids great money-saver for trimming your child's hair. There's no need to overspend when you can use these expert clippers with ease. Create sharp styles in no time using the array of cutting guards and other essential accessories. If you want a hassle-free experience for you and your kiddo, we recommend trying these out.
With a lightweight body and a quiet motor, the Wahl Professional Peanut Classic Clipper/Trimmer #8685 simplifies haircuts for you and your children. You can easily maneuver these 4-inch, 4-ounce clippers to get impressive results. Despite being small, the motor is just as strong as bulkier clippers. It operates quietly and smoothly, making it even more user-friendly. The sharp blades let you create specific styles, and they are less likely to irritate skin or pull hair. The four attachment vary between 1/8" and 1/2", so you can maintain the length of your child's hair without issues.
Why We Recommend It
- Petite clippers are lightweight. These clippers are 4 inches long and weigh 4 ounces for the user's convenience. Buyer feedback reflects this; many people rave about how easy these are to use.
- Strong motor operates quietly. A full-strength motor in small casing may seem like a bad combo, but that's not the case. Users consistently mention how quiet the motor is. This is a major reason why these clippers are great for use on children.
- Sharp blades offer comfort and accuracy. The sharp blades on these clippers offer two main benefits. They make it easy for you to create clear-cut styles. Users also say these blades don't pull hair or irritate skin. You can feel confident that your child will be cozy when you use these clippers.
- Four attachment combs in popular sizes. The combs come in 1/8”,1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2”. These commonly used sizes make upkeep an easy process.
- Cannot be used on wet hair. These clippers don't feature a wet/dry design, so they're only safe for use on dry hair. This is pretty normal, but it's good to know if you prefer trimming damp hair.
- Additional attachment combs not an option. Some buyers state that there aren't additional combs to purchase for this razor. This limits your options a bit but might not be a problem for many people.