BEST FRENCH FRY CUTTERS | NOVEMBER 2017
Making your own French fries allows you to experiment and have some fun creating an excellent dish. However, choosing a French fry cutter ideal for your specific home or business needs can be difficult. There are models designed for specific uses, volume amounts and even specific types of cuts. To help you find the best French Fry cutter for you, our team did extensive research to locate the best product for home use, commercial use, to cut sweet potatoes, and to create curly fries. For each product, we list its specifications, key features and other considerations. If you want more information regarding key features, things to avoid, and price comparison, check out our buying guide. Read more about our methodology.
Boasting a durable stainless-steel design, suction feet and ½-inch blades, this French fry cutter is one of the best on the market. You can easily push potatoes through the blades and this well-built machine will last for many years of potatoes.Read full review.
This French fry cutter is extremely simple to use, versatile, and sharp. You can cut potatoes in a variety of sizes, and the model offers safety protection and is dishwasher safe, for fast and easy cleanup.Read full review.
The Savant Kitchen Easy Grip Slicer is an excellent and simple way to evenly cut fries without paying a fortune. Its easy-grip handle and sharp, stainless-steel blades make it easy to push through potatoes, and its small size makes this an extremely simple product to store.Read full review.
Cut and dice all the fruits and vegetables in your entire meal with this machine. Its ratchet action easily pushes potatoes through the blades, and a knife guide helps you dice evenly if you want shorter fries.Read full review.
French Fry Cutters BUYING GUIDE
Size and Type of Blades
The best French fry cutters will cut a variety of sizes from thin, 1/4-inch fries to thick 1-inch steak fries. The best products offer multiple blades that allow you to cut a variety of fries, while inexpensive products only let you cut one or two types of French fries. In addition, you want to check the durability of the blades. Blades on low-quality products will bend on potatoes that are too hard and long. Some blades will bend easily if used with sweet potatoes and other hard vegetables. If the potato is too hard to cut, you can place it in a microwave to soften it before attempting to cut it.
Less expensive products and those for smaller volumes of potatoes are typically built from plastic. While this will work for small volumes, the frames may break and cannot handle large amounts of French fries. For larger volumes and commercial uses, you want a heavy-duty frame, which is often built using stainless steel or cast iron. Products with a more rugged frame have longer lifespans and can handle more types of potatoes.
Consider products that are easy to disassemble and clean. Many of the best products are dishwasher safe so you simply need to rinse the product in water and place on the top shelf of your dishwasher. Keep in mind that if the product is difficult to use and clean, you will be less inclined to use it.
Your French fry cutter needs to be sturdy and secure when cutting potatoes. The more secure the product is, the cleaner cut you’ll receive. This also makes the product safer. Commercial and daily-use products should have the ability to be mounted on tables or walls for long-term use. Home products often feature suction cup legs that keep the machine sturdy and let you easily remove it from the counter once you are finished.
French fry cutters under $20 are best for home use and creating small batches of French fries. These are manual devices and are typically consist of a circular blade with a hand grip. Products between $20 to $60 are ideal for making large batches of potatoes. These products can often slice various vegetables and feature several blades, allowing you to cut French fries in multiple sizes. Models in this price range are generally made from more durable materials and will last longer than products less than $20. Products greater than $60 are commercial-grade items or have specialty blades that can slice sweet potatoes or make curly fries. These products can easily make large amounts of French fries and feature durable stainless-steel designs, instead of plastic materials, which you’ll frequently see on less-expensive products.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The New Star 42313 is an ideal French fry cutter for both home use and for cutting large volumes of potatoes. This device boasts a rust-proof, cast-iron body that is well built and has an exceptional lifespan. Many users say this product cuts through potatoes effortlessly and has enough strength to even slice through difficult sweet potatoes. In addition, it features suction feet on the bottom of the frame, which keeps the cutter sturdy while cutting and lets you easily remove it for storage.
Why We Recommend It
- Versatile for all kitchens. Users love this product for creating large volumes of French fries in restaurants or concessions stands, and the model is also suitable your home kitchen.
- Built with durable materials. This device is built well and built to last. It features a rust-proof, cast-iron body and stainless-steel rod, making it an extremely tough product. Many users say it lasts a long time and you won’t need to purchase a new French fry cutter in the future if you own this item.
- Easy to cut. Cutting through potatoes is a breeze with the New Start 42313. Many reviewers report it takes very little effort to push the potatoes through the blades and it is strong enough that it will even cut through a small number of sweet potatoes.
- Suction Feet. There are four suction cups located on the bottom of this device to keep it in place as you slice your potatoes. You can easily remove the cutter from counters and other hard surfaces to store it.
- Only cuts 1/2-inch fries. This product includes only one ½-inch blade. Any additional blades or accessories must be purchased separately.
The Savant Kitchen Easy Grip Slicer is one of the best options if you want to make a small batch of fries for your family. This hand-held device features stainless-steel blades that cut through all types of potatoes, and the large handles give you plenty of room to hold on to. It includes three blades, providing lots of versatility in the type of food you choose to cut. In addition, you can place it in the dishwasher for fast cleanup, and it’s small enough that you can stick it in a drawer when it’s not in use.
Why We Recommend It
- Doesn’t require lots of strain. You don’t need large muscles to push through potatoes with this cutter. The sharp stainless-steel blades cut through most potatoes with ease, and many users say they don’t have to fight or struggle with the model to get the cut they desire.
- Large handle. This device features two large handles with non-slip grips that make it easy to hold on to and push the blade through the potato.
- Easy to store. The thin design of this French fry cutter allows you to easily place it in a drawer or a narrow compartment for easy storage. Many comparable devices require much more storage space and take up ample room on a wall or table.
- Cuts extremely thick fries. The blade cuts steak fries — an extremely thick type of fry. You cannot cut thin French fries, such as shoestring fries, with this model. Users who like thinner fries were not satisfied with this product.
The Weston Products French Fry Cutter is an excellent tool to improve your meal prep and keep your costs low. You can cut both thin and thick potatoes and the knife guide helps you dice and shorten potatoes if desired. Its non-slip rubber feet ensure the product stays in place and doesn’t require any permanent mounting. It is also dishwasher safe and is versatile enough that it can cut through a variety of fruits and vegetables.
Why We Recommend It
- Two cut options. There are two blade options included with this product. You can cut potatoes 3/8 inches in size or ½-inch thick.
- Easily creates even cuts. A removable knife guide helps you dice potatoes to ensure your fries are the exact size you desire. The knife guide is removable and is a feature many reviewers rave about, saying it makes their meal prep much faster and require less effort.
- Non-slip rubber feet. This product will stay in place during all your cutting via its non-slip rubber feet. You don’t need to mount this device long-term on a counter or table.
- Cannot handle all types of potatoes. This device cannot cut through large potatoes. You will need to cut larger potatoes in half to more easily slice them. This device can also not cut through sweet potatoes.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Commercial French Fry Cutter
The best commercial French fry cutters are designed for high-volume use. These products are ideal for small businesses, concession stands and restaurants, and can cut potatoes of all sizes quickly and easily. You will often find these products with electrical or air-powered cylinders that force the potatoes through the blades requiring minimal human effort. Manual commercial French fry cutters typically boast an ergonomic design, making them comfortable to use without straining your body.
The Super Buy French Fry Cutter is a powerful machine that allows you to make large batches of French fries with little hassle. It comes with four blade options, helping you cut thick and thin potatoes, and the durable frame ensures this machine can last for extended periods of time and through numerous uses. Unfortunately, this machine struggles with long potatoes, and the attachments are challenging to change, so you might need to use a little extra muscle when using this device.
Why We Recommend It
- Easily cut a variety of sizes. This product includes 4 blades — three square and one round — allowing you to make small shoestring fries as well as thick steak fries.
- Anti-corrosion material. The cutter is made using anti-corrosion stainless steel. Several users report this device lasts a long time, and there were fewer reports of bent blades and broken machines than comparable devices.
- Ergonomic and user-friendly handle. Several users say the potato is easy to push through the blades thanks to the large handle. The handle features an ergonomic design, allowing you to make large batches of potatoes without injuring your body.
- Struggles with long potatoes. Many users say they had a difficult time pushing long and thick potatoes through the blades. You will need to cut larger potatoes in half before using them.
- Unwieldy attachments. While the ability to cut a variety of sizes is a large benefit to this device, many users say changing the attachments is tricky and can take a considerable amount of time.
Best French Fry Cutter for Home Use
French fry cutters for home use are small, versatile machines. These products typically include three or four blades that allow you to cut potatoes and other vegetables with ease. These are manual devices, meaning you must push the potatoes through the blade using your own strength. These machines are small, allowing you to easily store them, and may feature suction cup feet or grips to help you mount the cutter on a table for use.
This French fry cutter can create French fries of all sizes without straining your body. It comes with two blades, allowing you to cut both thin and thick potatoes. It features a leverage handle, which makes pushing the potato through the blade simple, and the push plate is long, letting you use longer potatoes in this device much more easily than similar products. This French fry cutter is lightweight and small, making it easy to store and use in your home.
Why We Recommend It
- Cuts large potatoes with ease. Many users say this French fry cutter can handle larger potatoes without much struggle due to its long push plate.
- Creates even cuts. Users say this machine cuts potatoes evenly almost every time. It will cut ¼-inch fries as well as 3/8-inch fries.
- User-friendly handle. You can easily push the potato through the blades in one swift motion with its leverage handle. At the end of the handle is a large grip, allowing you to push down effortlessly.
- Small dimensions. This device does not consume much space in your kitchen and is small enough that you can store it in a cupboard. It is 4.8 inches wide, 5.6 inches tall and 12 inches long. It weighs just over 2 pounds.
- Poor stability. Many users say the suction cups located on the bottom of this product do not grasp onto a table or counter as well as they might, making this item unsteady when cutting.
Best French Fry Cutter for Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a hard and fibrous vegetable. They can be difficult to push through a standard French fry cutter and will often bend or damage the blades. The best French fry cutters for sweet potatoes have heavy-duty blades, allowing you to push the sweet potatoes through with ease. Products for sweet potatoes are typically more durable and made of higher-quality materials — such as stainless steel — than your standard home French fry cutter.
The LEM Products Commercial French Fry Cutter is a powerhouse that will cut sweet potatoes, as well as long and thick potatoes, without damaging the machine or requiring extra effort from you. It features an all-metal body that provides a more durable and long-lasting product and it can cut both 3/8-inch fries as well as ½-inch fries. You can also easily mount this French fry cutter on a counter or wall, or use its suction cup feet to ensure it stays in place during all your cutting.
Why We Recommend It
- Extreme power. You need ample power to cut through sweet potatoes and this machine has it. Many users say they could slice through sweet potatoes, as well as long and thick potatoes, due to its user-friendly design and extremely sharp blades.
- All-metal design. This machine features an all-metal design, instead of a plastic frame. This helps give the device extra power to cut through even the hardest sweet potatoes.
- Sturdy and secure. You can permanently mount this machine on a counter or a wall if you plan to use it on a regular basis. It also features suction cup feet, which many users say work great and keep the machine secure during short-term uses.
- Difficult to store. This device is extremely large and bulky, making it hard to find a storage spot in a home. It also weighs 15 pounds, creating more of a challenge to move around your kitchen.
Best French Fry Cutter for Curly Fries
The best French fry cutters for curly fries feature unique blades that give the potatoes a spiral cut, instead of the straight cut basic French fry cutters provide. These devices are available in either manual or electric models and typically have just one or two blade options. The best products are easy to clean and dishwasher safe, providing for fast and easy cleanup every single time.
The Presto Tater Twister Curly Cutter lets twist up your regular French fries. It features an electric motor, so there is little effort required to push the potato through the blades. This machine features two blades, allowing you to make either curly-cut or spiral-cut fries. You can soak most parts in water, ensuring easy cleanup, and you can switch out the blades in seconds.
Why We Recommend It
- Effortless electric motor. The electric motor on this machine does most of the work for you. You don’t have to manually push the potatoes through the blades as you do with other French fry cutters. Many users say this makes the device extremely convenient to use.
- Quickly snap in cutting disks. This machine provides two types of cut: spiral cut or curly cut. After choosing what type of cut you desire, you can simply snap the cutting disk into place on the machine. It takes just a matter of seconds to set up.
- Fast cleanup. Most of the parts on this device can be immersed in water and scrubbed clean. You simply wipe off the exterior of the motor with a wet rag to clean it —users say this device features very quick and easy cleanup.
- Only cuts one thickness. You cannot adjust the thickness of the French fries on this machine. Many users say the fries are thick, so lovers of thin fries may not be completely satisfied with the fries from this machine.