BEST DIAPER BAGS | MAY 2018
A diaper bag is a necessity for any parent of young children. There are hundreds of different styles on the market, and the sheer variety can make it difficult to know which to choose. Our team compared dozens of the most popular diaper bags to determine which ones provided the best value for specific use cases, including best diaper bag for dads and best backpack diaper bag. For each of our picks, we highlight key features like quality, size and organization to help you determine which is right for you. Read more about our methodology.
The Skip Hop Forma Diaper Bag Tote is the best choice for parents of babies and toddlers. Its changing pad and bottle bag are ideal for infants and the bag’s large size and eleven storage pockets are roomy enough to hold supplies for two children.Read full review.
The 7Senses Diaper Bag is excellent for parents of multiple young children. It’s the biggest bag on this list and has 10 large storage pockets for organization. It also come with extras like a changing pad and insulated pocket.Read full review.
The O’beanie Diaper Bag Tote offers most of the features of our top pick for less than half the cost. It’s a well-organized, medium-size tote and it comes with a folding changing pad, though there are no insulated bottle holders for infants.Read full review.
The IOMOMMY Premium Diaper Bag is great for those looking for a stylish, lightweight diaper bag they can take anywhere. It’s one of few value diaper bags to have both a changing pad and a bottle holder, but the tradeoff is fewer storage pockets.Read full review.
Best by Category
Best Backpack Diaper Bags
The Beleef Diaper Bag Backpack is a durable bag that also converts to a tote. Its well-thought-out design and nine storage pockets give you easy access to whatever you need, even if it’s on the bottom of the bag.Read full review.
The Laguna Tide Diaper Bag Backpack disguises its true nature with a stylish, well-made design, but inside, it has all the features you could hope for — insulated bottle holders, a changing pad and 12 storage compartments.Read full review.
Best Diaper Bags for Men
The HighSpeedDaddy Tactical Diaper Bag Backpack is a durable, well-constructed bag with more than enough pockets to house all your child’s things. And with a lifetime warranty, you don’t have to worry about it wearing out on you.Read full review.
The Diaper Dude Messenger Diaper Bag is perfect for men who want a slim, lightweight bag that doesn’t look like a diaper bag. It gives easy access to everything you need, but it cannot accommodate more than one child.Read full review.
Best Small Diaper Bag
The hotstyle BESTIE Mini Backpack is a lightweight, compact bag that’s great for short trips when you don’t want to be too weighed down. It’s durable and well-organized, but it’s not as full-featured as the other bags on this list.Read full review.
Diaper Bags BUYING GUIDE
Some diaper bags are made with waterproof materials to protect against spills. These bags are great for cleanup, but some parents don’t like their look and feel. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are canvas bags that come in stylish patterns, but they absorb stains easily, making them more difficult to clean. Find a balance that suits you and make sure you’re comfortable with the cleaning involved. You should also consider the bag’s fastenings. Most parents prefer zippers and magnetic clasps to velcro because velcro wears out over time and can be noisy enough to wake sleeping babies.
Diaper bags come in a variety of styles, including backpack, tote and messenger bags. Models that convert between a tote and backpack are also available. Think about how many things you intend to carry and what would be the most comfortable way to shoulder that weight. You also have to consider how the style you choose affects your access to the items in the bag. For example, a backpack distributes weight more evenly than a tote, but you have to take it off before you can get anything out of it.
Size and Organization
A good diaper bag has many pockets to organize supplies for parent and baby. The bulk of your things will go inside the bag, but outside pockets are useful for items you need to access quickly. Think about how much you’ll need to carry and choose a bag that’s large enough to accommodate it all, but avoid going too large. Larger diaper bags tend to weigh more, especially when fully loaded, and they can be uncomfortable to carry.
Many diaper bags include a changing pad that folds up in the bottom of the bag or fits inside a special compartment. Some also have insulated bottle pockets and waterproof pockets for holding soiled clothes. These features are great if you have an infant, but they become less necessary as your child ages. Consider your child’s needs and your own and decide which features you need in your diaper bag.
Diaper bags under $35 tend to be pretty basic. While they do their job of holding and organizing your child’s belongings, they lack many of the specialty features found in more expensive products and they are often not as well made. The average diaper bag costs between $35 and $100 with most falling toward the lower end of this range. Many of these products include features like insulated bottle holders and changing pads that distinguish these bags from a standard backpack or tote. They’re usually pretty durable, too. There’s no need to pay more than $100 for a diaper bag unless you’re interested in a designer bag.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Skip Hop Forma Diaper Bag Tote’s large size and plentiful storage pockets make it the ideal travel bag for growing families. In addition to the pockets, it comes with two storage cubes that you can use on their own if you’re only going for a short outing. The changing pad and an insulated bottle bag are great if you have an infant, and as your child grows, you can remove these items to make more room for toys and snacks. It’s also waterproof, so there’s no need to worry about spills.
Why We Recommend It
- Large enough for all your gear. The Skip Hop Forma tote measures 17 inches long by 5.5 inches wide by 15 inches high, making it one of the larger bags on this list. Many parents say it’s roomy enough to accommodate gear for two children, plus mom and dad’s things.
- Staying organized is simple. This diaper bag has 11 pockets for organizing diapers, snacks, clothing, toys and more. There are two large zip pockets on the front and side exterior pockets for storing items you need to access quickly. The bag also comes with a detachable mesh storage cube that works great for storing small items that might otherwise get lost inside a large diaper bag.
- Great for storing bottles. The diaper bag comes with an insulated storage cube that holds two bottles. The cube is not attached to the bag, so you can take it out and use it on its own if you don’t feel like carrying around the whole bag. There are also two side pockets large enough for storing bottles and other drinks, but these are not insulated.
- Easy to keep clean. One of customers’ favorite features is the bag’s waterproof material, which make it impervious to spills. Just wipe off the stain with soap and water or an antibacterial wipe and it’s good as new again.
- Perfect for men and women. Many users have commented that their husbands feel comfortable carrying this bag around because it is plain black and doesn’t look too girly. This makes it a great choice if you’re looking for one diaper bag that your entire family can use.
- Can be difficult to search through. Several consumers point out that the bag is very narrow, and this can make it difficult to find things if you’re not sure where you put them in the first place. This may not be a problem for you, though, as long as you’re good at staying organized and always keep things in the same pockets.
- Small changing pad. This diaper bag does come with a changing pad included, but a few reviewers say that it’s small and cannot accommodate larger babies. If you find this to be true for you, you may want to invest in a larger changing pad to replace the one that comes with the bag.
The 7Senses Diaper Bag is one of the most spacious diaper bags on the market, so it’s perfect if you have two small children. It comes with a folding changing pad and 10 pockets for organization, one of which is insulated for storing bottles. The bag is made of heavy-duty grey canvas and converts from a tote to a messenger bag to help you better disperse the weight as it can get quite heavy when it’s full.
Why We Recommend It
Big enough for multiple children. The 7Senses Diaper Bag is even larger than the Skip Hop Forma tote, measuring 17 inches by 13 inches by 7 inches. Many customers use it for two children and say that they have no trouble fitting everything they need inside it.
Create a designated space for everything. With 10 large pockets, this bag makes it easy to keep your things organized and secure. The interior of the bag is light-colored, and users have reported no trouble finding items within it. Four of these pockets are located on the outside of the bag to give you quick and easy access to your most commonly used items. In addition, there are two large side compartments that, while not divided, can still give you additional storage space for items that don’t fit in the smaller pockets.
Built with infants in mind. This bag comes with a folding changing pad that fits neatly in one of the side compartments and an insulated pocket for storing bottles. Unlike some other bags, the insulated pocket is on the inside of the bag where its contents are less likely to be affected by the weather outside.
Doubles as a messenger and tote. The 7Senses Diaper Bag comes with two handles so it can be carried like a tote and a detachable strap so you can wear it as a messenger bag. The strap adjusts and can be worn on one shoulder or across the body for extra support.
May be too heavy for some. Weighing about 2.6 pounds, the large 7Senses Diaper Bag could be too heavy for some to carry, especially if it’s at capacity. While most users don’t have an issue with this, it’s something to be aware of when packing your bag.
Difficult to clean. The outside of the bag is made of a grey canvas fabric with faux leather accents. It is not waterproof and can only be spot cleaned. The light color of the material shows stains easily, so it’s important to clean up spills right away. The inside of the bag, however, is made of a lighter, water-resistant material, so it should clean up easily.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Backpack Diaper Bags
Backpack diaper bags better distribute the weight so you can carry even heavy loads with ease. Many of these bags convert from a backpack to a tote, so you can switch between them as you prefer. They’re a great choice for active parents who don’t want to be bogged down with a diaper bag in one hand and a child in the other. With the bag on your back, there’s no more setting it down and picking it back up again every time you need a free hand.
The Beleef Diaper Bag Backpack was designed with convenience and durability in mind. The bag is made of a tough, water-resistant fabric that stands up well to prolonged use, and its convertible design lets you wear it as a backpack or carry it as a tote. Organizationally, this bag is hard to beat with nine pockets and a zipper in the back to provide easy access to the items on the bottom. It’s not large enough for two, but you won’t have to worry about running out of room for a single child’s belongings.
Why We Recommend It
- Built to last. The bag is built of a heavy-duty, water-resistant fabric and, according to customers, it holds up well over time. The material and the fastenings do not stretch or break and stains can be easily wiped away with a cloth and some warm water.
- Quick access to everything you need. This backpack has nine storage compartments, including a designated wipes pocket that lets you pull wipes one at a time through an opening in the side. Consumers’ favorite organizational feature is the zip in the back of the bag that provides quick and easy access to things on the bottom of the bag without having to dig through everything on top of it.
- Holds up to three bottles. The Beleef Diaper Bag Backpack has an insulated bottle compartment that holds up to three bottles, making it a great fit for all-day outings. By comparison, most other diaper bags only hold one or two bottles at most.
- Converts from backpack to tote. While most parents use this bag as a backpack, there are strong handles on top for those who prefer to carry it like a tote. It’s nice to have the option to switch between the two because there are times when a tote provides more convenient access to the things you need.
Not for multiple children. This bag is a good medium-size bag that should accommodate a single child without difficulty, but if you need to fit gear for more than one child, you may want to upgrade to something a little bigger.
No designated changing pad compartment. The Beleef Diaper Bag Backpack does come with a folding changing pad like most of the other diapers on this list; however, it doesn’t have its own pocket, so you’ll have to store it in the bag’s main compartment. Given the organization of the rest of the bag, it shouldn’t be too hard to access it when you need it.
The Laguna Tide Diaper Bag Backpack is a stylish and durable bag that you can use for years to come. When your baby is young, you’ll appreciate the folding changing pad and removable bottle sleeve, and when they get older, you can remove them to free up space. The 12 storage pockets will be appreciated at any stage, as will the padded shoulder straps and back support. The best part is, it doesn’t look like a diaper bag, so you can keep using it to carry your own belongings once your child’s outgrown it.
Why We Recommend It
- Stylish and well-built. This backpack is built from a durable, waterproof fabric that, according to owners, is sturdy and holds up well over time. The bag doesn’t look like a diaper bag, and many users say they’ve continued to use the bag for carrying their own belongings after their child has outgrown diapers.
- Twelve storage pockets. The bag has an impressive 12 storage pockets, four of which are insulated for carrying bottles and other drinks. There’s also a wipes pocket on the front that enables you to grab a single wipe at a time without opening up the bag.
- Comfortably shoulder the weight. The Laguna Tide Diaper Bag Backpack has adjustable shoulder straps and built-in back support to ensure you stay comfortable no matter how much weight you’re carrying. You can also clip the straps together in the front to help keep them on or attach the bag to your child’s stroller with the stroller straps.
- Special infant supplies included. A matching changing pad and separate insulated bottle sleeve are included with the backpack. The removable bottle sleeve can also be used separately if you don’t want to carry the whole bag with you. And as you child outgrows these things, you can leave them out of the backpack, freeing up room for other things.
- Noisy velcro front pockets. The bag’s front pockets are secured with velcro, which is something that most diaper bags avoid. Not only does velcro wear out over time, but peeling it apart can sometimes be loud enough to wake a sleeping infant. If your child is an especially light sleeper, you may want to choose a different bag or avoid storing anything important in these pockets.
Best Diaper Bags for Men
Diaper bags designed for men integrate all the features of a traditional diaper bag — insulated bottle holders, changing mats and plenty of storage compartments — into a sturdy, rugged bag that any man would feel comfortable carrying in public. Unlike some bags designed for women, a man’s diaper bag usually doesn’t skimp on durability, and they’re often meant to be multipurpose, so you can keep using them long after your child has outgrown diapers.
The HighSpeedDaddy Tactical Diaper Bag Backpack is a rugged, masculine bag that is built to last for years to come. Its waterproof fabric stands up to spills, and there are designated pockets for everything from wipes and bottles to changing pads and more. Its sturdy construction and luggage strap make it a great bag for travel, and many dads say they use it as their own backpack once they’re finished using it as a diaper bag.
Why We Recommend It
Lasts a lifetime. The HSD Tactical Diaper Bag Backpack is made of a durable, waterproof polyester and it carries a lifetime warranty, so you don’t have to worry about it wearing out. According to customers, the bag holds up well over time and owners often use it for themselves once they no longer need it to carry diapers.
Pockets for everything you need. According to most users, the HSD Tactical Diaper Bag Backpack has more pockets than you could ever need for organizing your belongings. There are two insulated pockets for holding bottles and other drinks and a designated wipe pocket at the front. A folding changing pad fits neatly in the back pocket. For dad (or mom), there are plastic hooks on the inside for storing your keys and a felt-lined pocket at the top for storing sunglasses or other valuables you don’t want to get scratched.
Goes anywhere. This rugged bag is waterproof and has rubber traction feet on the bottom so you don’t have to worry about it getting dirty if you need to set it down. It also has a luggage strap on the back that fits most suitcase handles, so it’s a great bag for traveling.
A little pricey. This bag is the most expensive on this list, and it may be more than some people are willing to spend. In that case, we suggest our runner up pick for dads. But if you do decide to go with this bag, you won’t regret it. It’s sturdy enough to see you through your children’s early years and any other adventure you can think to throw at it.
The Diaper Dude Messenger Diaper Bag is a lightweight, medium-size bag that can accommodate a single child. It sits comfortably across your body and its sturdy construction ensures it will last you for years to come. The bag is intuitively designed to give you quick access to all of your things without needing to take it off. It’s not the bag for heavy packers or long trips, but it’s a great choice for everyday use.
Why We Recommend It
Comfortable, lightweight bag. Weighing in at less than 1.5 pounds, this bag sits across your body and comes with an adjustable strap to suit users of all sizes. The strap clips on and off, so you don’t have to pull the bag over your head. According to users, it’s very comfortable and it puts all your things within easy reach.
Holds up well over time. Customers say that this bag is well-built and stands up to long-term use. They especially enjoy the heavy-duty zippers that glide easily using only one hand.
Easy access to all your gear. The bag comes with three exterior pockets on the front where you can store items you need to have quick access to, like pacifiers and wipes. There’s also a back compartment that holds the folding changing pad. Inside, there are still more pockets for holding toys, diapers, clothes and anything else your child needs.
Too small for some. Some users find this bag to be too small for their needs, and it’s not a great choice if you’re looking for a bag that you can use with multiple children. But if you only have a single child and you’re not planning a day-long excursion, this bag should suit you just fine.
No bottle storage. The Diaper Dude Messenger Diaper Bag doesn’t have any insulated bottle pockets. If this is a necessity for you and your child, you may want to purchase an insulated bottle sleeve to go along with this bag or consider a different option.
Best Small Diaper Bag
A compact diaper bag is ideal for short outings when you only need a few essentials. These bags are lightweight and their small size ensures you won’t get stuck fumbling around for items like you can with some larger bags. There is often a tradeoff in features, though. Changing pads, for example, aren’t often included because they simply can’t fit. But if all you need is a basic diaper bag for a few clothes, toys and snacks, one of these compact options can still serve you well.