BEST DEEP FRYERS | NOVEMBER 2017
Deep fryers make a great addition to your collection of kitchen appliances so you can enjoy your favorite fried foods at home. Our team did extensive research to help you choose the best deep fryer for your needs, looking at large capacity, compact and turkey fryers, as well as our top pick and best low-cost fryer. Each of our picks includes the fryer’s top features, specifications and other considerations. If you’re unsure what type of fryer you need, check out our buying guide below to learn more about deep fryers, including ease of use, oil storage and draining, available baskets, and safety. Read more about our methodology.
The T-fal FR8000 is loaded with features that result in crispy, cooked-to-perfection fried foods. For the mid-range price you get T-fal’s unique patented oil-filtration system, a two-position basket, an adjustable thermostat and easy cleanup: All fryer parts are dishwasher-safe except the cord and heating element.Read full review.
With the Hamilton Beach 35021, low cost doesn’t mean skimping on quality. This fryer includes an eight-cup oil capacity, cool-touch sides, and a lift basket that allows you to drain food while the lid is closed, among other great features.Read full review.
Deep Fryers BUYING GUIDE
First you should consider what size deep fryer best fits your needs. Choose a small capacity or compact fryer if you only fry small items, such as French fries, if you’re cooking for two or a small family, or if you have limited space in your kitchen. You’ll want to shop for a bigger deep fryer if you typically feed a large group, or if you fry big pieces of food such as chicken thighs and breasts. To fry whole turkeys, you’ll need a fryer specifically designed for that purpose.
Safety should be a major concern when frying foods in 375-degree oil – the typical frying temperature. Safety features to look for when you’re researching deep fryers include a heat-resistant lid, a breakaway power cord that easily disconnects from the fryer in an emergency, heat resistant handles on the pot, lid and baskets, cool-touch exterior on the pot and a temperature controller.
Types of Controls
Different deep fryers have different types of controls, and you should consider which ones are important to you. Typically, a deep fryer will have a temperature control, either with an adjustable thermostat knob or the temperature will be controlled automatically. Other features may include power-on and oil-ready lights and a timer.
Ease of Use and Cleaning
You’ll want to consider how easy the fryer is to use: whether it has power and oil-ready indicators, timer and temperature controls and easy draining or pouring of used oil. After deep frying, you’ll want an easy cleanup. Things to consider to make your job easier include how easily the fryer comes apart, whether it features a separate container to store oil and which parts of the fryer are safe to put in the dishwasher.
You have many choices of deep fryers for under $50. These models do a great job of frying your favorite foods, but may not have the capacity for frying large quantities at once or frying large pieces of food. They also may be missing certain controls such as an adjustable thermostat. In the $50 to $100 range, you’ll find these deep fryers may be larger and may include other features such as timers, temperature controls and oil draining and/or storage. If you’re looking for a turkey fryer, expect to pay $90 to $150.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
You can’t ask for more in a deep fryer than the T-fal FR8000. With 1700 watts of power and the adjustable thermostat, your foods will be fried to perfection. The fryer comes apart easily, and all the parts (except the power cord and heating element) are dishwasher safe. The patented oil-filtration system automatically filters and drains the oil into a sealed plastic container. If you’re looking for a deep fryer with all the bells and whistles, as well as enough capacity to feed your family and friends, this is the one for you.
Why We Recommend It
- Oil-filtration system. The unique, patented oil-filtration system automatically filters and stores the oil in a sealed plastic container. The oil lasts longer so you spend less money on oil. In addition, the clean oil will result in healthier fried foods with less odor from previous frying.
- Controls for easier frying. The T-fal FR8000 includes an adjustable thermostat to ensure you’re frying foods at the right temperature. The oil-ready light lets you know when the oil is up to the temperature you set. And the oil-filtration lever allows you to easily start the filtering and draining or release the oil container for discarding and refilling.
- Capacity. You’ll have no problem feeding your family and friends with this fryer’s capacity of 3.5-liters, which allows you to fry 2.65 pounds of your favorite foods at once.
- Safety. The heat-resistant handles on the basket, cover and sides protect your hands, and the power cord has a magnetic connection to quickly disconnect the power should someone trip over the cord.
- Easy to clean. All the components of this deep fryer come apart easily and are dishwasher safe, except for the power cord and heating element.
- Depth. Some customers felt the fryer could use a couple more inches of depth.
- Size. At 14.8” high, it may be too large to store on your countertop.
- Price. There are other deep fryers available for lower prices, but without many of the same features.
With its 8-cup oil capacity, this fryer is excellent for frying small foods, such as French fries and chicken tenders. The immersed heating element quickly heats up the oil and fries the food fast so there’s less oil penetration. The oil-level line lets you know when it’s time to add more oil. If you’re looking for a reliable deep fryer for a very low price, the Hamilton Beach Deep Fryer is a great choice.
Why We Recommend It
- Capacity. Though not large, the 8-cup oil capacity allows you to fry six cups of a variety of foods such as French fries, vegetables, chicken tenders and other small pieces of meat.
- Safety. Safe handling is a concern when using any deep fryer, and the Hamilton Beach has an insulated pot that makes the sides cool and safe to touch. It also features a breakaway, magnetic power cord to disconnect the power in an emergency, such as someone tripping over the cord.
- Easy to use. The features that will make frying easier include power-on and oil-ready lights, an oil-level line, a lid with a viewing window, adjustable thermostat, and a basket to drain foods while the lid is closed.
- Size. The width and depth of this deep fryer (11.38 W x 13.94 D) are larger than some fryers with the same capacity. This is due to the thickness of the insulation on the pot that creates the cool-touch sides.
- No Timer. Without a timer, you’ll have to keep a close eye on the foods you’re frying, though there’s a viewing window on the lid.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Compact Deep Fryer
If you have limited space in your kitchen, or you simply don’t fry large quantities or large pieces of food, you can enjoy deep fried foods at home by choosing a more compact version. Due to their size, compact deep fryers may be missing some features included in other fryers, but they can still be the best choice for your needs.
For a compact deep fryer, the Presto GranPappy has some excellent features, including 1500 watts of power that heats up the oil quickly and keeps it at the correct temperature automatically. Constructed of heavy-duty cast aluminum, this fryer will last for years. Presto ensures the quality of this deep fryer by building it to North American Electrical Standards.
Why We Recommend It
- Plenty of power. With 1500 watts of power, this deep fryer will heat the oil quickly. And once the food is dropped into the oil, heat recovery will be fast, maintaining the proper temperature and frying your foods to perfection.
- Safety. This fryer has skid-resistant rubber feet and a breakaway, magnetic power cord to disconnect the power in an emergency, such as someone tripping over the cord.
- Easy to use. There are no controls to set or fuss with; the correct temperature is maintained automatically. Instead of a basket, this fryer comes with a slotted scoop to lift, drain and serve your foods with one easy utensil. The snap-on lid allows you to store the oil right in the fryer pot.
- Easy to clean. The inside and outside of the fryer pot has a nonstick surface, so cleanup is easy.
- No adjustable thermostat. This deep fryer automatically maintains the oil temperature.
- Non-heat-resistant lid. The lid can’t stay on while frying since it’s not heat resistant. However, some customers stated that splattering is not a problem if the oil level is correct.
Best Large Capacity Deep Fryer
A large capacity deep fryer is a great choice if you have a large family or fry foods for a crowd. Features in these fryers may include oil capacity of 12 to 16 cups, up to 1800 watts of heating power and multiple baskets. The larger deep fryers may cost more than smaller versions, but you’ll get the size and features you need to fry large quantities or large pieces of food to golden, crispy perfection.
This fryer is an excellent choice for a large deep fryer with its 4.5 liters of oil and 12-cup food capacity. Controls, including a timer and adjustable thermostat, make your frying easier. Three baskets are included: one large and two smaller ones so you can fry two different foods at once. With all its great features, this fryer produces delicious, perfect fried foods sure to please you, your family and friends. And all at a reasonable price.
Why We Recommend It
- Capacity. The fryer holds 4.5 liters of oil and accommodates 12 cups of food to feed a large family or a crowd.
- Safety. This fryer has a breakaway, magnetic power cord to disconnect the power in an emergency, such as someone tripping over the cord.
- Easy to use. Features that make your frying easier include an adjustable timer with audible tone, power and oil-ready lights, an adjustable thermostat, a window on the lid and hooks on the baskets for easy draining.
- Three baskets. This feature comes in handy when you have multiple types of food to fry. There’s one large basket and two smaller ones. The small baskets fit together in the fryer, allowing you to cook two different types of food at once.
- Metal Gauge. Some customers said the metal gauge on the basket mesh and the handles could be thicker.
The Cuisinart CDF-200 is a perfect choice if you deep fry large pieces of food or large quantities for your family or for parties. The 4-quart (16-cup) oil capacity is bigger than many other large deep fryers and allows you to cook up to 2.3 pounds of food at once. And the 1800-watt heating element ensures the oil will come up to temperature quickly and stay there for quick, even frying. This fryer costs more than other large fryers, but it’s an excellent product for maximum-capacity deep frying.
Why We Recommend It
- Capacity. Besides a turkey fryer, this is one of the largest deep fryers on the market with a 4-quart (16 cup) oil capacity in which you can fry up to 2.3 pounds of food at once.
- Powerful. With such a large capacity, a powerful heating element is critical, and the 1800 watts featured with this fryer does the job of heating and maintaining the temperature of the oil.
- Stainless steel construction. For beauty and durability, this fryer is constructed with stainless steel, including the mesh basket and the one-gallon removable oil container, which also features a pouring spout.
- Safety. Includes a magnetic quick-release power cord, and the basket has a cool-touch handle.
- Shorter cord. The power cord is approximately two feet long.
Best Deep Fryer for Turkey
It’s no surprise that frying turkeys has recently become more popular. After all, faster cooking times, juicier meat and freeing up the oven are all advantages to frying versus roasting a turkey. And today’s turkey fryers make it that much easier with such features as oil-drain valves, dishwasher-safe components and safety features such as a magnetic breakaway power cord. Indoor or outdoor, spring or summer, you no longer have to wait for Thanksgiving to enjoy the crispy skin and succulent meat of a fried turkey.
“Butterball” and “turkey” go together like chips and dip, and this Butterball turkey fryer has some excellent features for easy, perfect turkey frying. You can fry up to a 20-pound turkey or five pounds of chicken wings. Ready for a crab boil? With this fryer, you can also boil or steam foods. Safe to use indoors or outside, this fryer is designed and tested to meet commercial standards. All these features and more make this a great choice for year-round turkey frying.
Why We Recommend It
- Quality. This turkey fryer is produced for Butterball by Masterbuilt, a trusted name in fryers and other outdoor cooking products. The Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer is designed, built and tested to meet commercial standards.
- Use indoor or outdoor. Since this fryer is electric, you can use it either indoors or outside. It will fit on most countertops, and includes a magnetic breakaway cord for safety.
- Fry, boil or steam. With this versatile turkey fryer, you can fry, steam or boil a large variety of foods, including a 20-pound turkey, five pounds of chicken wings or ribs, steamed vegetables and boiled crab, lobster or other seafood.
- Easy cleanup. Includes a valve for draining oil. Also, the pot, basket, lid and drain valve are all dishwasher safe.
- Shorter cord. The power cord is approximately three feet long.
- Brief manual. Some customers complained there wasn’t enough information in the product manual.
- Large size. Some customers could not fit the fryer on their countertop.
The Bayou Classic 3066A outdoor fryer is specifically designed for frying turkeys. A propane tank is required; otherwise it comes with a complete kit with everything you need for a perfect fried turkey, including a 50,000 BTU gas stove, a thermometer, a seasoning injector and a 30-pound stock pot for frying a 20-pound turkey. It’s constructed with commercial-strength aluminum and the tall, narrow design requires only three to five gallons of oil. The Bayou Classic is a great choice for frying turkeys outdoors. Next Thanksgiving – or any occasion – free up your kitchen by using this excellent outdoor turkey fryer.
Why We Recommend It
- Quality. This turkey fryer is specifically designed for frying turkeys. The high-quality construction includes a pot constructed with commercial-strength aluminum, a tall, narrow design that requires less cooking oil and non-stress-baring bolts to attach the legs to the frame; the weight of the pot is transferred to the legs, not the bolts.
- High performance. The Bayou Classic has the performance features to fry your turkey in as little as 45 minutes with a 50,000 BTU gas stove and 10-PSI regulator.
- Complete kit. Everything you need to fry your turkey is provided, including the 30-quart stock pot, gas stove, regulator, thermometer, vented lid, perforated poultry rack with grab hook and a one-ounce seasoning injector. You just provide the propane tank.
- Outdoor use only. This fryer is not designed – or safe – to use indoors.
- Propane tank required. This will be an added expense if you don’t already have a tank, and the tank will have to be filled occasionally.