BEST CAN OPENERS | NOVEMBER 2017
Whether you are a master chef or only cook once a week, can openers belong in every household. No matter how simple or complex you make your meals, you’ll encounter recipes that require canned foods. With that in mind, our team did extensive research to determine the best can openers in four major categories – electric can openers, portable electric can openers, ergonomic can openers, and manual can openers. Our research includes the best key features and other considerations for each product we selected, which gives you all the information needed to make an informed purchase. Read more about our methodology.
This Hamilton Beach model has a sleek black and chrome design, which looks great in any kitchen. It opens cans of all sizes, has an ergonomic design, minimizes splashing and messes from the can without leaving any sharp edges behind.Read full review.
The Classic Chrome Heavyweight from Hamilton Beach offers all the features needed in a top of the line can opener without breaking the bank. The SmartTouch cutting technology opens cans of all sizes the first time, every time.Read full review.
Can Openers BUYING GUIDE
Your first consideration should be the power source. With so many can openers on the market, you need to narrow your search down. Electric can openers are fast, smooth, and easy to use, but they require an electrical outlet or batteries. Take a minute to decide where you’ll use the can opener the most. If you want one that doesn’t require a batteries or electricity, you’ll want to go with one that operates on manual power.
Height of machine
You want to make sure that your can opener can accommodate cans of all sizes. If you buy one that is too short, you won’t be able to use it for taller and larger cans. A keyword to look for while shopping is “extra-tall.” Typically, extra-tall machines are at least 9 or 10 inches high, which is plenty of room to fit even the tallest cans.
Can openers with soft handles, anti-slip grip, and large knobs are great for people with arthritic conditions or weak hands, fingers, and wrists. Even people without these ailments can enjoy the benefits of a smooth and easy to use can opener if they find one with an ergonomic design.
Mechanisms to prevent the lid from falling in the can
The top of the lid falling in a can of food is unsanitary and messy. You want to look for can openers that offer some benefit that prevents this from happening. One option is a magnet, which sticks to the lid. Another tool offered on some openers is a lid-locking lever. You can also find a can opener that cuts into the side of the can, which prevents the lid from falling in.
For less than $30 you can find a high quality, top of the line electric can opener for your home. At that same price point, you can also find a portable electric can opener. These can openers are built to last, look good, and open cans fast and efficiently. For a slightly lower price point, you can find other fully functional electric can openers for about $20. If you don’t need or want anything too fancy, there are basic manual can openers available between $15-$17, depending on ergonomic features.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener delivers the best performance for the price on the market. This high quality electric can opener that opens cans of all sizes, including pop tops, also leaves a smooth edge behind with every cut. The design is aesthetically appealing for your countertop, and durable enough to withstand daily use. Customers with arthritis or weak hands can take advantage of the effortless electric operation system.
Why We Recommend It
- Opens a wide range of can sizes. Standing tall, this machine can open both large and small cans. The wide frame base and heavy build of over three pounds ensures that even the biggest cans will quickly open with the Hamilton Beach machine. It also opens pop top cans which can be messy if you open them by hand instead.
- Has an aesthetically appealing look. The sleek black and chrome design blends in to any kitchen. The modern look will match any countertop and compliment the other appliances throughout your kitchen.
- Ergonomic design. Customers that are elderly, have arthritis, or weak grip strength won’t have to put any stress on their hands while using this machine. The process is as simple as holding the can gently with one hand, and lightly pressing the lever top of the machine to turn it on.
- No sharp edges. The high quality slide cutting system leaves a smooth surface behind on the can. Jagged edges increase the risk of injury while cooking. The Hamilton Beach 76606ZA opens cans fast, while making sure you won’t cut yourself on a sharp can afterwards.
- Minimizes splashing and messes. Unlike most conventional can openers, the Hamilton Smooth Touch blade cuts on the side of the can, rather than into the top. This method reduces messes and splatter from the contents of the can.
- Cord is not retractable. There is a place in the back of the machine where the cord can be pushed into for storage, but it does not have a retractable feature.
- No magnet feature. The machine doesn’t have a lid magnet but the unique cutting technique ensures that the lid won’t fall in the can, so the magnet isn’t necessary.
The Hamilton Beach 76380Z Classic Heavyweight Can Opener has a tall body for large cans and knife sharpener as a dual feature. The power cord goes into the body of the machine for easy storage without leaving a messy and unpleasant look on your countertop. Since the cutting unit is detachable, you can easily wash it without any hassle.
Why We Recommend It
- Heavyweight build keeps a sturdy base. This electric can opener will not slip, tilt, or slide around while opening cans. Heavy cans can be a problem for some can openers, but not for this Hamilton Beach model. So you don’t have to worry about the contents of the can spilling on the counter.
- SmartCut patented technology. The cutting mechanism on this machine opens cans on the first try, every time. You don’t have to waste time fidgeting with a manual opener or lower quality electric opener that takes multiple attempts. The Hamilton Beach Classic opens cans fast and efficiently.
- Extra tall to open large cans. At over 10 inches high, you can rest assured that even the largest food cans in your kitchen will fit into this electric opener. Smaller openers are only for smaller cans, but this model will open ones of all sizes.
- Bonus features included. The Hamilton Beach Classic comes with a knife sharpener, which is another necessity in every kitchen. It also has an automatic shut off feature, so it won’t stay running once the can lid comes off.
- Need to keep hands on the can. The device is not hands free. To make sure the can doesn’t fall, you should keep at least one hand on it while operating the machine.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Electric Countertop Can Opener
Electric countertop can openers can make your life easier in the kitchen. They are an alternative method to forcefully cranking a manual can opener, which can be difficult and messy. Electric countertop can openers leave a smooth finish without jagged edges on the can that is nearly impossible to replicate with a manual opener. Using an electric can opener in your kitchen will speed up your cooking process so you can use time more efficiently.
The Kitchen Selectives Electric Can Opener will cut open cans quickly and quietly. The strong blade cuts smoothly without leaving any dangerous or sharp edges behind. The tall design makes it easy to open cans of varying heights and comes with a knife sharpener and bottle opener as added bonus features. The Kitchen Selectives opener also opens pop-top cans and has a storage slot for the electrical cord.
Why We Recommend It
- Opens cans of all sizes. Often, countertop electric can openers are limited to the size of cans they can open based on their height. The extra-tall frame on this model ensures that you can open nearly every can in your kitchen, regardless of how small or large it is. You can also open pop top cans with this unit.
- Easy to clean. The cutter is removable so you can clean it with ease. Most can openers are awkward to clean because of their size, but the detachable cutting device means you can sanitize between uses in order to avoid cross contamination between different foods.
- Knife sharpener and bottle opener included. The back of the can opener has a slot for you to manually sharpen your knives. In addition to the knife sharpener, it also has a bottle opener. These are added bonuses, which basically gives you three kitchen necessity tools for the price of one.
- Sharp blade for a clean cut. Manual can openers leave rough and jagged edges on the can, which can cut your fingers while handling. High quality electric openers like this one leave a smooth surface behind so you won’t have to worry about hurting yourself.
- Lightweight design. The lightweight design of less than two pounds means you’ll want to carefully hold the machine and can while operating it. If you let go of either, you risk the machine could move or the can could fall.
Best Small Electric Can Opener
Smaller electric can openers are a great option for people who are always on the go. Since they are battery powered, you don’t need an electric source to use and operate these devices. If you enjoy hiking or overnight camping outdoors, portable electric can openers are a convenient, fast, and easy way to get started on your meal. They don’t require any manual force, so it also works well for people with arthritis or weak hands.
Best Manual Can Opener
Manual can openers are a staple and necessity in every household. Opening cans is something we do almost on a daily basis in the kitchen, and you don’t want to always rely on electricity or batteries to do the job for you. With a manual can opener, you know that the job will get done regardless of the outside factors such as issues with a power source or motor, which you may encounter with electric openers.
The ACE Safety Can Opener is a great option for daily usage on cans of all sizes. The sharp stainless steel components cut through blades smoothly, with minimal effort for the user. It features a soft grip handle and turning mechanism to minimize hand fatigue, which is great for anyone with weak fingers or grip strength. Its lightweight design makes it easy to handle and easy to clean.
Why We Recommend It
- Soft touch grip and handle. The soft grip and handle make the can opener easy to use and hold, without having to worry about it slipping out of your hands. People who have arthritis, elderly, or anyone with weak hands will still be able to use the ACE Safety opener.
- Compact and portable. Since this can opener is feather light and compact, it’s easy to store anywhere in your kitchen without taking up too much room. This is another great can opener if you plan to pack a bag for hiking or camping. It’s not bulky or heavy, so you’ll barely notice it’s there until you need to use it.
- Quiet and stable. If you need to open a can early in the morning for breakfast, or in the middle of the night for a snack, you won’t need to worry about disturbing anyone in your home. Electric or battery powered can openers are loud and require a power source, but the ACE Safety opener just requires your hands.
- No mess to clean. The opener is so smooth and easy to use that it won’t splash or make a mess from the food. If it does get any liquid or anything else from inside the can on it, just wipe it clean with a napkin.
- Locking mechanism holds opener tight to the can. Clamp down the can opener to the lid and switch the lever to the locked position. The can and can opener will stay in place without you touching it if you want to make any adjustments to your grip, position, or stop midway to check something on stove.
- No magnet. Some customers prefer a magnet to secure the lid, but in order to keep this opener lightweight and compact, there is not a magnet included.
Best Ergonomic Can Opener
Handling manual can openers may become increasingly difficult for people with arthritis, weak hands, fingers, or wrists. Ergonomic can openers are designed specifically to assist customers who suffer from those conditions. These can openers have big knobs, sharp blades, and anti-slip grip on the handles to make it super easy to use. Ergonomic can openers are not limited just for people with weak hands; in fact, anybody who wants a manual can opener that is easy to use can take advantage of these benefits.
The Belinix Stainless Steel Manual Can Opener is a great choice for consumers that need an ergonomic design. Its design features a big knob and soft anti-slip grips, which makes it easy to use for people with ailments such as arthritis and senior citizens with weak hand strength. The blade is made with heavy-duty stainless steel for long lasting use without fading or dulling. Ultimately, it’s one of the top manual can openers on the market, especially for those with ergonomic needs.
Why We Recommend It
- Premium quality stainless steel blade. The heavy-duty blade is ultra-sharp to effortlessly cut through cans of all sizes. Stainless steel is built to last, so the blade won’t get dull or rusty. A sharp blade also means smooth edges on the can, which minimizes your risk of getting cut on a jagged edge.
- Big ergonomic knob and soft grip handle. The giant knob and soft handles allow for easy use for people of all ages and hand strengths. If you have week hands from old age or an arthritic condition, you can still effortlessly use this can opener without straining your fingers, hands, or wrists. The non-slip silicon handle also has hanging hooks for easy storage.
- Free bottle opener included with purchase. When you buy the Belinix manual can opener, you’ll also receive a free aluminum bottle opener. The bottle opener is strong and portable for at home and on-the-go use. It comes with a pocket key chain ring, which makes it a great gift as well.
- 100% money back guarantee. Belinix stands by their product. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, contact their reliable and friendly customer service team and you will receive a full refund.
- Lid can fall back into can. The can opener does not have a mechanism that prevents the lid of the can from falling into contact with the food after a clean cut.
- Inefficient for extra large cans. If you regularly use restaurant or wholesale sized cans in your kitchen, this is not the most efficient can opener. It will get the job done, but an electric can opener would be more practical.