BEST BATHROOM SCALES | JULY 2019
A bathroom scale seems like a pretty straightforward product – you step on, step off and find out how much you weigh. And there are plenty of great basic models that do just that. But there also are bathroom scales that do a whole lot more, including tracking your BMI and measuring things like bone mass, lean muscle and water weight. To help you narrow down your options, our team performed extensive research on basic bathroom scales, smart scales and bathroom scales that track BMI. Our top picks are listed below. Also, check out our buying guide to learn more about key purchase considerations, such as accuracy, health tracking features and more. Read more about our methodology.
The Weight Gurus Bluetooth smart scale punches well above its weight, packing features that rival models that cost twice as much. This unit tracks weight, BMI, and more for up to 8 people and is backed by a generous 5-year warranty.Read full review.
If all you need is simple bathroom scale that quickly and accurately tells you your weight, Smart Weigh’s digital scale is a hard value to beat. Its durable construction and precise sensors support up to 400 pounds.Read full review.
Best by Category
Best Basic Bathroom Scale
This basic yet sturdy scale offers everything a regular user could want in a modern-looking and affordable package. Four sensors can measure up to 400 pounds within 0.2-pound increments, and the 3.5-inch LCD display is bright and easy to read.Read full review.
Best Smart Bathroom Scale
The Withings Body offers a lot of functionality and, while more expensive than our other picks, still comes cheaper than comparable smart scales. This unit tracks everything a smart scale should and uses both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for hassle-free connectivity.Read full review.
Best Bathroom Scale for BMI Tracking
Bathroom Scales BUYING GUIDE
Accuracy and consistency
As the most important function of a scale is to measure and display your vital statistics, accuracy and precision are the first marks of quality you should look for. Not only should the readout of your weight and other health metrics be as accurate as possible, but the readings need to be consistent over time so you can properly track your progress.
The best time to weigh yourself is right after waking up in the morning, and as you will likely not have rubbed the sleep from your eyes, a large and easily-readable display is a must-have. The best modern scales sport big backlit LCD displays, a definite upgrade over the analog readouts found on older mechanical units.
Along with measuring your weight, smart scales can track vital statistics such as lean muscle mass, water weight, BMI, bone mass, and more. Many buyers will be well-served with a basic scale, but athletes and other advanced users will benefit from a device that reads other health-related information and tracks it over time.
Health tracking and connectivity
Scales that measure and record data other than body weight should also have the capability to sync with your computer or smartphone and upload your stats. This makes it easier to track your goals and long-term progress, and the best scales are compatible with a wide variety of the most popular fitness apps such as Fitbit, Google Fit, and MyFitnessPal.
For $15 to $25 you can get a solid, basic scale that can quickly and accurately display your current weight and not much else. These simple units do not record your statistics or offer other information and are best for users with basic needs. The best of the feature-laden smart scales, which measure extra health-related metrics like body fat and BMI, go for as low as $60 or as much as $150, with $70-$100 being the sweet spot for our favorite picks. These more advanced units also offer Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth connectivity for syncing with your devices and uploading your stats to companion apps. They are also great options for families as they can store profiles for multiple people and can automatically identify users based on their weight.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Weight Gurus Bluetooth smart scale offers an impressive array of modern tracking features and competes with models that cost more than twice as much. This unit measures weight, BMI, bone mass, lean muscle, and water weight and can store profiles for up to eight different users. When paired with your iOS or Android smartphone, the Weight Gurus scale uploads your data to the companion app and can work with other popular fitness apps including Fitbit, Google Fit, Apple Health, and others.
Why We Recommend It
- An excellent value for money. For the price, the Weight Gurus Bluetooth smart scale is hard to beat. Comparable models from name-brand makers like Fitbit offer similar features but generally cost twice as much or more.
- Does everything a smart scale should. Most users who want more than basic weight measurements will be happy with this scale, which covers the bases of necessary smart features like body composition readouts, progress tracking, and app integration.
- Sleek, attractive, and sturdy. The Weight Gurus looks like a high-end scale and its sturdy frame supports up to 400 pounds. The unit is also very slim compared to other units, measuring in at less than one inch thick.
- Doesn’t require a connected phone to store results. Is your phone out of reach? No problem – the scale will store your data and will automatically upload it the next time you weigh in with your phone within range.
- U.S.-based customer support team. The Weight Gurus customer service team is based in St. Louis and is reported to be very helpful and quick to respond to any issues. The very generous 5-year warranty on the scale provides added peace of mind as well.
- Requires manual setup with other fitness apps. While the Weight Gurus companion app is user-friendly, some people may prefer to stick with their own favorite fitness software. Unfortunately, getting this scale to work with other apps like Fitbit requires some manual setup and is not as streamlined as it could be.
- Glossy surface is a fingerprint magnet. As with virtually all modern scales that feature a tempered glass surface, the scale readily shows fingerprints, dirt, and water spots. Thankfully, it is trivial to clean with a simple wipe-down.
Less than $20, the Smart Weigh digital bathroom scale is a great choice if all you need is a basic and solidly built device for measuring your weight. This simple and highly affordable unit can weigh users of up to 400 pounds in 0.2-pound increments, and its durable construction and tempered glass surface offer a sleek modern appearance compared to the plain bathroom scales of the past. Its large negative LCD display is easy to read as well.
Why We Recommend It
- Attractive and durable construction. The metal and tempered glass surface is sturdy and the brushed appearance is a welcome alternative to the glossy plastic look seen on many modern bathroom scales. The gold color option stands out as particularly unique.
- Simple and reliable step-on operation. The Smart Weigh scale could not be easier to use: Just step on it and see your weight with no tapping required to activate the unit. A single button on the bottom of the housing lets you switch between pounds and kilograms.
- Offers a few extra conveniences along with weight measurements. While basic scales don’t offer anything in the way of body composition readings or data recording, the Smart Weigh adds little extras like overload warnings and a battery level indicator, which are nice conveniences to have.
- Switching from pounds to kilos can be fussy. A number of users had issues getting the scale to switch between pounds and kilograms, noting that the button on the bottom of the scale was finicky.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Basic Bathroom Scale
Buyers who don’t need extra features like fitness tracking and body composition readouts would be served best by a sturdy, simple bathroom scale. Such models provide a standard weight measurement and little else, but are very affordable. Key features to look for in a good basic scale are build quality, consistent and accurate measurements, and an easily readable backlit display. These will suit most users just fine, but athletes and other advanced users who desire more detailed health information should instead look for a more feature-rich smart scale.
The EatSmart Precision digital scale is a top choice for a basic bathroom unit that won’t break the bank. The thick 8mm tempered glass surface can support up to 400 pounds and four precise sensors provide accurate measurements in 0.2-pound increments. The scale automatically calibrates when activated and is backed by an excellent warranty and EatSmart’s highly rated customer support. Although this basic model only offers a simple weight readout, it does include a handy body measuring tape for you to use.
Why We Recommend It
- Over-sized and easily readable display. The large 3.5-inch Accubright LCD display is very bright and easy to read, even in those early hours before you’ve fully rubbed the sleep from your eyes or had your morning coffee.
- Measures in pounds, kilos, and stones. Along with offering you a weight readout in pounds and kilograms, the EatSmart Precision can also measure in stones – a nice touch for users in places like the UK where this unit is still common.
- Automatic calibration. Most modern digital scales need to be re-calibrated when they are used for the first time or after they are moved, usually by pressing a button or tapping the surface. The EatSmart Precision zeroes automatically if it needs to, a nice convenience if your scale gets moved around often.
- Excellent customer support. EatSmart offers a solid 2-year warranty on their products, and customers who had issues with their scales reported that the customer service team was responsive and very quick to resolve any problems.
- Considerably thicker than other scales. At 1.8 inches thick, this scale is noticeably thicker and stands higher off the ground than many other models. While many users won’t mind, those who want to store the scale after use or those with balance problems might want to get a slimmer, more low-profile unit.
- May not work well on floors with small tiling. The four sensors on the bottom of the housing must be placed on a flat, smooth surface and will not give accurate readouts on carpet or on floors with small tiles where the feet may come into contact with the grout.
Etekcity’s affordable scale is a slimmer, and perhaps more attractive, alternative to the EatSmart Precision, but offers much of the same functionality. This model can measure between 11 and 400 pounds, and its precise German-engineered sensors provide a near-instant readout as soon as you step onto the 6mm tempered glass surface. The scale displays a readout in either pounds or kilograms and offers some extra conveniences like battery level and overload indicators as well.
Why We Recommend It
- Thin, sleek, and attractive housing. At 0.9 inches thick, the Etekcity digital scale is one of the slimmest on our list. Its low-profile black housing offers a sleek and modern aesthetic compared to other basic scales, which can look at bit spartan.
- Simple to use and easy to read. The step-on activation makes this scale so simple to use, and the 3.1-inch LCD backlit display, while not as large as those found on other models, is bright and very easy to read.
- Fast, accurate, and auto-calibrating sensors. The four sensors on the bottom of the unit are accurate to within 0.2 pounds and the scale conveniently zeroes itself whenever it is moved so you’re not fussing around with calibration settings. Along with being accurate, the sensors provide near-instant readouts as well.
- One-year warranty. In contrast with other bathroom scales, Etekcity only offers a one-year warranty on this product, whereas other options have warranties of two years or longer.
- Lacks precision between weigh-ins. Although the scale’s sensors are accurate in their individual readouts, they may not provide precise measurements from weigh-in to weigh-in. If the user’s weight falls within 0.6 pounds of the last measurement, for example, it will display the previous readout instead of an updated one, creating an illusion of consistency.
Best Smart Bathroom Scale
Along with weight, smart scales measure an array of additional data including body fat percentage, lean mass, BMI, and more by sending a mild electrical impulse through your legs. Body fat measurements can be inaccurate due to the limitations of bioelectrical impedance technology, but consistent measurements can still give you a good idea of your overall progress. These scales also sync up with your smartphone and upload your metrics to companion apps so you can track your progress over time. Easy setup, user-friendly companion software, and compatibility with the most popular fitness apps are the top features to look for.
With body composition tracking, excellent fitness app compatibility, and the ability to identify and store data for up to eight users, the Withings Body smart scale is fully loaded – and it can even give you a local weather report. Measure and track your weight, BMI, lean mass, water weight, body fat, and even your bone mass, and the scale will automatically upload data to your iOS or Android smartphone using Withings Health Mate or your fitness app of choice. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capability give you a couple of options for syncing the scale with your mobile device, too.
Why We Recommend It
- Great connectivity. Having the choice of using both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for syncing the scale to your smartphone is a great feature. Most scales offer only one or the other, and Bluetooth-only connectivity can be notoriously spotty at times.
- Clear and information-rich display. The Withings Body not only displays your current health metrics but also shows you a chart of your last 8 weigh-ins for progress tracking at a glance. The screen can also display a local weather report – a nice little convenience when you hop on the scale each morning.
- Provides a fresh reading every time. Many scales cheat a bit when it comes to weigh-ins by displaying your previous measurement if your current weight hasn’t changed too much. Thankfully, the Withings Body gives you a new reading every single time you use it so you can see even the smallest changes.
- User-friendly and feature-laden companion app. The Withings Health Mate app is slick and offers a lot of useful tracking functions, from body composition changes to caloric intake over time. The scale also works easily with the most popular fitness apps, from Fitbit to MyFitnessPal, if you prefer to use those.
- Can work on carpeted floors. While not a selling point for most users who will likely keep their scales in the bathroom, the Withings Body includes four risers that can be placed on the bottom of the housing so that it can work on carpeted floors.
- Fairly expensive. At $100, the Withings Body is costly and has the highest price tag of all of our picks. Nonetheless, it still compares favorably to more expensive smart scales that have fewer features and lower user satisfaction.
- One-year warranty. For the price, buyers might expect something more than a one-year warranty considering cheaper models are often covered for several years.
- Readout can be sluggish. Because the Withings Body uses bioelectrical impedance analysis to gather and calculate more data than just your weight, it can take several seconds to give you a readout when you step on the scale.
Best Bathroom Scale for BMI Tracking
Smart scales record a variety of health information, but some models take it a few steps further by providing even more detailed metrics for tracking your body composition over the long-term. Weight isn’t a catch-all for determining one’s health – some people who are heavy may be healthier overall than others who weigh in lighter – so a good body composition scale can be a boon for the health-conscious. These smart scales are purpose-built for fitness enthusiasts and other users who are serious about their health and want a scale that can provide as much data as possible.
While most smart scales measures five or six health metrics, the Yunmai Color can track a whopping 10, providing one of the most detailed and information-rich readouts that a bathroom scale can offer. Along with weight, BMI, overall body fat, lean mass, bone mass, and water weight, the Yunmai Color also measures your visceral fat, base metabolic rate, muscle growth (or loss) rate, and even your age. On top of that, this smart scale can store up to 16 unique user profiles instead of the usual 8, and uploads stats to the companion smartphone app via Bluetooth.
Why We Recommend It
- Measures 10 different body composition metrics. The standout feature of the Yunmai Color is its ability to measure and record 10 health statistics, making it the top choice for those who want to get the most detailed data that you can currently get from a consumer-grade scale.
- A great value for its features. For its price, the Yunmai Color packs a lot of features that put it in league with smart scales costing twice as much. Its tracking functions, app compatibility, ease of use, and reasonable price tag make it a highly competitive option for general users and fitness enthusiasts alike.
- Stores data for up to 16 people. Most smart scales store data for up to 8 people, but the Yunmai can record stats for up to 16. While this might be more than most users need, those who do need a scale for more than 8 users – for a private sports team or small athletic club, for example – will appreciate this extra capability.
- Super simple setup and app integration. Getting your new scale ready is extremely simple: Download the app, step on the scale, and it will automatically sync with your phone within seconds. The scale will show your weight and body fat, while more detailed metrics will be displayed in the Yunmai app. The scale is also compatible with popular apps like Fitbit and Apple Health.
- Might be overkill for some users. The ten different tracking features will likely not be necessary for most people, nor will the 16-user profile capacity. These shouldn’t get in the way of using the scale, but some buyers may not want to fuss around at all with ten different stat readouts and might be better served with a more standard smart scale.
- Displaying detailed metrics requires a phone. In order to access all 10 tracking functions, you must sync the Yunmai Color with your smartphone. While this is not a huge drawback, users should be aware that most of the measurements the scale takes are sent to the Yunmai app and are not displayed on the scale’s readout.