BEST BABY FOOD MAKERS | MAY 2018
Baby food makers allow you to prepare your little one’s meals at home, ensuring that her food is as fresh, nutritious and safe as possible. Pricing, styles and features for baby food makers vary widely. To help you make the right choice for your needs, our team has thoughtfully evaluated hundreds of options, and carefully chosen our top recommendations based on helpful factors like size, capacity, function, versatility, accessories, price points and ease of use. Read more about our methodology.
The Cuisinart BFM-1000 Baby Food Maker is a competent, easy-to-use multitasker. It efficiently steams, chops, and and purees foods in the same bowl, freeing up your workspace and saving time. It also holds up to four cups of food, allowing you to make and store a week’s worth of food at once.Read full review.
The BEABA Babycook Plus 4-in-1 is a stylish and ultra-functional way to provide your baby with fresh, healthy meals. This model steams and blends efficiently, and is easy to use and dishwasher-safe. It features two high-capacity working bowls, as well as a space-saving design.Read full review.
The Magic Bullet Baby Care System offers parents great form and function at a reasonable price. The cute and cheerful design makes this system fun to use, while sturdy construction, efficient blending power and speed, and handy included accessories make prepping and storing food easy.Read full review.
Make fresh baby food simply and quickly with the Nuby Garden Fresh Mighty Blender. This versatile set comes features a number of useful accessories and has high food capacity, customizable food textures at a very reasonable price.Read full review.
Best by Category
Best Manual Baby Food Maker
Make fresh, healthful baby food wherever you go, at a moment’s notice, with this handy manual food masher. While there are several similar items on the market, this one stands out for its durability, ease of use, and slip-resistant grip.
Read full review.
Best Compact Model
The Baby Brezza may be small, but it offers big-time convenience and functionality. It steams and blends in one easy step; it features a an intuitive, simple control panel; and every part of it is easy to clean.Read full review.
If you are looking for the ultimate baby food multitasker, this is it. The Babymoov steams, purees, defrosts, warms and sterilizes, without the bulk and clutter of extra accessories or gadgets. It’s also very easy to use, and a breeze to clean.Read full review.
Baby Food Makers BUYING GUIDE
It might seem at first that a higher volume capacity is always better. However, while some people prefer to make large quantities of baby food all at once, others prefer to make just enough for one day. Still, others choose to blend up a fresh batch of whatever the family is having at each meal. In these cases, a larger work bowl could be more of a hindrance than a help. Consider your lifestyle, your schedule, and your feeding plans to determine your true volume capacity needs, keeping in mind that four cups of food translates to about a week’s worth of meals.
Babies move quickly through developmental feeding stages. They don’t require thinly pureed food for very long, so if your baby is already sampling solids, it may not be worth it to spend a lot of cash on a model that mainly liquifies things. Either look for an option that will easily grow with your child, or spend just a few dollars on a manual masher or a food mill.
Some baby food maker models are easy to clean, while others have nooks and crannies that are hard to get into, and even harder to sanitize. Do your homework, and weigh things out carefully. Sometimes a device’s attributes make it worth a little extra care and elbow grease. Often, they don’t.
Of course, you want to make sure that you have the counter space for your preferred model. But you also want to consider whether you have the storage space to tuck it away if need be, or to stash all of the accessories that come with it. If you don’t want to be fumbling around in cabinet corners looking for lids and extraneous parts, it may be wiser to opt for a more streamlined model.
Price points vary dramatically for baby food makers, ranging from manual, portable masher-and-bowl combos that cost just a few dollars, to efficient and powerful multitasking machines that cost $200 or more. Multifunctional models that cook, warm, and puree foods can sometimes cost more than simpler models, but this is not always the case. Higher costs are more closely related to aesthetics, programmability, material grade (models with glass or stainless steel tend to be pricier), durability, and small added features like locking blades, detachable cords, and audible notifications.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Cuisinart BFM-1000 Baby Food Maker offers all of the convenience of a complicated multitasker, in a simplified, pared-down package that’s easy to operate and easy to clean. This device steams, chops and purees food in the same bowl, which saves space, extra steps, extra cleanup, and the headache that comes with tracking down loose parts. A bottle warmer function eliminates the need for a separate device, while a four-cup capacity allows you to prepare a week’s worth of food at a time.
Why We Recommend It
- Low-key design. This device’s attractive, “grown-up” style fits seamlessly with most kitchens. Meanwhile, its smaller footprint and low-profile, low-clutter design easily fits on countertops, and easily stows away in cabinets.
- Efficient steaming and blending. A specialized steaming blade distributes heat evenly, cooking most foods - including meat, fish and poultry - thoroughly, and the precision blade blends well. Many reviewers were very pleased with the smooth, velvety texture of their food.
- Simple to use. Numerous reviewers listed ease of use as the feature they loved most about the Cuisinart BMF-1000. The device comes with clear, easy-to-follow setup and use directions. Making food requires only two steps - steam, then puree. And, according to many users, cleanup is delightfully easy.
- Excellent brand. Cuisinart is well-known for quality and efficiency. Most users who did have mechanical issues with their device noted that the company responded quickly to their concerns, and sent part replacements without hesitation.
- Staining. Some users noted that the work bowl and/or included spatula stained when they made brightly-colored foods. Staining did not affect the machine’s performance, and wasn’t of tremendous concerned to them. Those who are concerned about staining should follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and use their own spatula, or search for a glass baby food maker.
- Motor has limited power. This model doesn’t have the power or speed options of a standard blender, so those looking to blend harder foods may be better off with a multi-function precision model. However, when it comes to pureeing baby food, it is efficient enough to get the job done well.
This high-style, low-profile baby food maker is an efficient, easy-to-use option that’s ideal for for making large quantities of baby food quickly. It features two high-capacity work bowls, and takes food from raw, to steamed, to pureed and ready to serve in 15 minutes. It also has a stylish, low-profile design that fits well on counters and in cabinets, and it’s easy to use and easy to wash.
Why We Recommend It
- Ultra high-capacity dual work bowls. This model features two 4.7-ounce work bowls, making it one of the highest capacity baby food makers available. Not only can you make two weeks’ worth of baby food at once - you can cook two different food items at the same time.
- Smooth, efficient, quiet blending. Reviewers noted that the Babycook was quieter than standard food processors, and blended foods into a very smooth consistency ideal for very young babies.
- Stylish and low-profile design. This model is sleek and attractive, and comes in a range of contemporary, stylish colors. It also features a narrow footprint that allows for plenty of workspace in front of the machine. In addition, an all-in-one design minimizes spare parts and clutter.
- Easy, one-handed operation. The entire cooking and blending process is simple, and can be accomplished one-handed. No timers are necessary - proper steaming is based on a simple water level system. An audible alert lets you know when the cooking process has finished.
- Only one side blends. Several reviewers took issue with this model’s single-sided blending. Some felt that it was a missed opportunity to add efficiency to this model. Others felt that it interfered with speed and ease of use. Still others felt that it was only a minor issue.
This offset of the popular Magic Bullet system has been a hit with parents. The set features 20 total pieces, including a high capacity bowl for large batches, a short cup for small batches, two different blade options, and a number of cleverly designed food storage containers. An easy-to-use design, an efficient motor, and a cheerful, but low-key style make this a great option for parents looking for an affordable baby food maker option.
Why We Recommend It
- Attractive design. The smiling faces on the blender and food containers charm moms and delight babies. However, the subdued green and cream colors and the straightforward design keeps this set from being gimmicky or overly juvenile.
- Versatile capacity. The large bowl and short cups give parents the flexibility to make small or large batches, while the storage cups and silicone freezer tray allow for easy and convenient storage.
- Cleverly designed food cups. The food cups are crafted from sturdy plastic and feature stabilizing feet, snugly fitting screw-top lids, and a handy built-in dial dating system. The cups can easily be tossed into a diaper bag or purse. They’re easy to clean, and they come with a stabilizing tray.
- Cookbook and nutrition guide. This model comes with a small cookbook and a pocket nutrition guide. A number of reviewers say these are helpful and informative, both for meal ideas and for choosing the most healthful food options.
- Motor limitations. Some users note that the motor has a tendency to burn out or struggle due to overuse or overfilling. Pulsing slowly, blending in short bursts and filling below capacity may help resolve this issue.
The Nuby Garden Fresh Mighty Blender offers a great deal of versatility and functionality at a reasonable price point. It features both a large work bowl and a short cup, allowing you to make small batches for a single meal, or large batches to store for future meals. For storage, the set comes with six convenient food cups with lids, as well as 9-portion freezer tray.
Why We Recommend It
- Included steaming basket. This basket is designed to work in your own microwave. It helps foods cook thoroughly before pureeing, providing added convenience and ease of use.
- Versatile use options. Easily adjust the device to meet your growing baby’s developmental needs, from thin purees to chunky mash, to chopped foods. Meanwhile, two blades allow you to either create purees or finely mill oats and cereals.
- Quick and efficient. This model’s motor and blades are powerful enough to blend food to the right consistency in seconds, at the touch of a button. Cleanup is easy and quick, as well.
- Motor limitations. Some reviewers say motor performance flags during extended use.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Manual Baby Food Maker
Manual baby food makers are a highly affordable, handy, no-fuss, no-muss option. They are simple to use, easy to clean, and small enough to toss in a large purse or diaper bag. You can take them anywhere - feed your baby some of whatever you're having at a restaurant, a picnic, or a friend's house. This option is best for making quick individual meals, and for older babies who don't need their foods finely pureed.
Hand-held food mashers are portable and cost-effective alternatives to electric baby food makers, and we believe the Nuby Garden Fresh Mash N’Feed to be the best of the best. Reviewers praised this model’s sturdiness, its slip-resistance, and its firm grip on the table’s surface. They also noted that it mashes fruits and steamed vegetables efficiently to a consistent texture, and is the perfect size for a perfect single portion.
Why We Recommend It
- Sturdy and safe plastic construction. This model is solidly crafted from durable plastic that’s BPA-free for added safety. The bowl’s sturdiness allows for easier and more efficient mashing, and protects it from breakage and wear.
- Breaks down food well. Small slats on the masher, sturdy and firm masher construction, and narrow, raised ridges in the bowl’s interior help you achieve a fine and smooth texture with ease.
- Non-slip design. A non-slip masher handle and bowl grip handle allow you to keep everything steady and secure during mashing and feeding. Meanwhile, a non-skid grip at the bottom of the bowl keeps it from sliding on flat surfaces.
- Long-handle spoons included. These spoons are ideal for scraping the bottom of the bowl, and scraping food off of chubby baby faces. A number of reviewers loved the spoons, noting that they were a perfect size for a baby’s mouth, and a perfect angle for feeding and scraping.
- Lid included. A snug-fitting lid allows you to pack up any portion your baby leaves behind, and take it in your diaper bag or stow it in the fridge. This is our favorite feature of this particular masher model.
- Best for older babies. While some very soft foods can be mashed to a thin puree with this model, it’s best for achieving a thicker consistency that’s more appropriate for babies with a little bit of feeding experience under their belts.
- Can be messy. The bowl is designed for a single portion, so it’s a bit small. If you overfill the bowl or mash too vigorously, you could end up with a bit of a mess.
- May stain. A few reviewers noted that the masher and/or bowl stained when used with brightly-colored foods. This did not interfere with the function of the masher or bowl, and was more of an aesthetic complaint that bothered some reviewers more than others.
Best Compact Model
Compact baby food makers may not offer the same capacity as larger models, but they are typically just as powerful and efficient, and they have small footprints and streamlined designs that allow them to fit easily on countertops and in cabinets. They are ideal for smaller kitchens, and for those want the benefits of homemade baby food, while keeping their kitchen as clutter-free as possible.
The Baby Brezza Baby Food Maker may take up minimal real estate on your counter, but it still does everything the big guys can do - sometimes even better. It can steam and puree in just one step, allowing you to “set it and forget it.” It’s simple and straightforward to use, it’s easy to clean, and it holds up to three cups of baby food - enough to fill up an ice tray for easy storage.
Why We Recommend It
- Easy to operate. The Baby Brezza’s control panel features an intuitive, user-friendly design, and it’s LED backlit for easy visibility. Food goes from steamed to pureed automatically - no hovering, and no extra steps, bowls or accessories.
- Small footprint. This model’s compact size makes it easy to park on the counter, while leaving plenty of surrounding workspace for chopping and prepping. It’s also easy to store - no bulk, no excessive parts and pieces, and no cluttered accessories.
- Easy to clean. The Baby Brezza’s bowl and blade are dishwasher safe. Plus, unlike some other baby food makers, the steam reservoir can be opened and thoroughly cleaned out.
- Includes storage containers. This set comes with three reusable food storage pouches, so you can easily take Baby’s homemade food on the go. Funnels are also included for no-mess pouch filling.
- Not as efficient with firmer foods. Some reviewers noted that the steamer did not cook firmer fruits and vegetables, such as carrots and sweet potatoes, to a softness that could be easily pureed. Firmer vegetables can be steamed twice, or cooked separately.
- Not ideal for making large batches of food. The three-cup work bowl is perfect for creating fresh food that will be eaten on the spot, and it provides generous portions for a day or two. However, if you need to make and store large batches of food quickly, you might be better off with a higher capacity model.
All-in-one baby food makers offer parents efficiency and convenience, while saving them time and minimizing clean-up. Most all-in-one models steam and puree food, but some provide additional features, such as bottle warming, food reheating, high-capacity work bowls, audible alerts, and storage containers. This option is best for busy parents who want to quickly and efficiently create and store large quantities of baby food.
The Babymoov Nutribaby is an epic multitasker, a space and time-saver, and an all-around great choice for parents and caregivers who are serious about making large quantities of high-quality baby food. This model does it all, from sterilizing and warming bottles, to steaming, pureeing and defrosting foods. It can make about 25 servings of baby food in just a few short minutes. However, it’s still simple to program, simple to use, and simple to keep clean.
Why We Recommend It
- Space-saving design. This model streamlines a number of different tasks in a small footprint, eliminating the need for buying multiple gadgets and storing clunky accessories.
- Dual steaming baskets. Some foods require longer cook times than others. Dual steaming baskets allow you to cook two different items at once, at different starting times if necessary.
- High-capacity work bowls. The Babymoov features a 6 ¼ -cup steaming vessel, and a 2 1/4-cup blending bowl. It’s easy to make large batches of food for storage.
- Clear, concise display and control panel. The Babymoov’s control panel is simple to navigate and program, and its LED backlit screen is highly visible and easy to read. Audible alerts let you know when cooking is done, and when programmed timers go off.
- Great for long-term use. The Babymoov does everything from warming bottles to finely chopping foods, making it useful from birth through the toddler years.
- Blender strength. Some reviewers found the motor lacking in power, and noted that some foods need extra water in order to puree them into a smooth consistency.