BEST ALARM CLOCKS | NOVEMBER 2017
Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial, but so is getting to work on time. That’s why purchasing the right alarm clock is a more important decision than it might seem. Whether you prefer analog or digital, a gentle alarm or one for heavy sleepers, we considered hundreds of alarm clocks of all shapes, sizes and sounds, as well as other additional features, and curated a list of the best options available to help get you out of bed. Read more about our methodology.
The WamGra Night Light, Bluetooth Speaker & Alarm Clock features all the functionality and added benefits you could want in a compact, beautifully-designed unit. Easy-to-use and extremely versatile, this alarm was an easy choice for our top pick.Read full review.
The Svinz Digital Calendar Alarm Clock is one of the most practical and contemporary alarm clocks on the market, featuring a beautiful, large-screen display, and many added features. It is a great choice for the visually impaired, or simply those who are looking for a clock to match their modern decor.Read full review.
The Warmhoming Digital Alarm Clock is beautifully designed, versatile, and super easy to use. As practical as it is affordable, and featuring all the bells and whistles you could want to help get you out of bed, this alarm rivals some of the most expensive models available.Read full review.
The PeaKeep 4" Bell Analog Alarm Clock features a fun, retro design and all the functionality you could want in an analog alarm. As fashionable as it is practical, it looks great on your bedside table and comes at a very affordable price.Read full review.
Alarm Clocks BUYING GUIDE
Analog vs Digital
The first digital timepiece was introduced at the St. Louis World Fair in 1904, and they have only grown in popularity since. Digital clocks show exact time with a digital display, while analog clocks show a close but approximate time with hands that rotate. Digital clocks are still the most common, but sometimes an old-fashioned look is more desirable. Plus, analog clocks are exclusively battery operated which can be more reliable.
Different Ways to Wake Up
There is a huge variety of ways one can be woken up in the morning, from a traditional alarm bell to a light that increases in brightness—even pressure mats that require you to get out of bed and stand to turn it off. A spectrum of sounds is always desirable but you might want to consider something more creative, especially if you are a heavy sleeper. Some of the best alarm clocks offer a combination of different options.
The infamous snooze button is one of the most important considerations when choosing an alarm clock, and can be a deal breaker for people who don’t love getting up in the morning. If sleeping in is important to you, be sure to choose an alarm clock with a snooze option so you can sleep in longer on some days than you do on others.
We’ve all seen the flashings zeros that indicate the power has gone out and it’s time to reset the clock. Most digital alarm clocks have a battery backup in case of a power outage, but you should always take that into consideration. If it’s analog, be sure to replace the batteries when they get low so you can get to work on time.
Alarm clocks are generally pretty small but still come in a variety of sizes. Some are built for the bedside table and some to hang on the wall. Larger displays are best for the visually impaired (or in some cases, design), while small, analog clocks are best to toss in a suitcase as a backup when you travel.
Alarm clocks don’t vary too much in price, but like anything, you get what you pay for. Some analog alarm clocks are less than $10 with the majority of both analog and digital clocks lying somewhere between $25 and $50. Some high-end alarm clocks with USB charging, Bluetooth, night lights, and more, can run as high as $250 but aren't always worth it. Even the best should usually be under $200.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
WamGra’s Night Light Bluetooth Speaker & Alarm Clock offers everything you could want to help you wake up in the morning. The touch sensor LED lamp is aesthetically pleasing and super practical, and the Bluetooth speakers give you a lot of options to get out of bed or keep you entertained while you’re getting ready. Create your own alarm by uploading audio files and enjoy up to 6 hours of playing time on a USB rechargeable battery with one of the best alarm clocks on the market.
Why We Recommend It
- Versatile light and color settings. The WamGra features three levels of brightness and color settings, and the touch sensor is great for getting up at night or reading before bed.
- Quality Bluetooth speakers. Enjoy great sound quality and versatility with built-in speakers, and play music, news, nature sounds or Youtube videos from your smartphone, tablet or any Bluetooth-compatible device.
- Create your own alarm. Users love how easy it is to upload your own audio files and create your own unique alarm using a Micro SD Card or USB device.
- USB rechargeable battery. Don’t worry about losing a power cord with a simple USB rechargeable battery and six hours of playing time.
- No battery backup. The WamGra Bluetooth alarm clock does not come with replaceable battery backup, so make sure to reset when the power goes out.
The Svinz digital alarm clock and calendar is one of the most beautifully-designed and versatile devices available. The 8” screen features the month, day of the week, and date, as well as two color displays, three alarm functions, and three auto-dimming options. It looks just as good on a table as it does on the wall, and comes with a backup battery for added reassurance.
Why We Recommend It
- Large, easy-to-read display. The eight-inch screen featuring time, day of the week, month, and date is part of what makes this alarm so popular among reviewers. It looks great on the wall or your bedside table and is very easy to read, even at a distance.
- Multiple alarm and color settings. Set up three independent alarms throughout the day, and set the text color to either white or yellow.
- Three auto-dimming options. The Svinz calendar alarm clock auto dims at 7 p.m. (in either low or medium brightness) and brightens up at 7 a.m.
- Additional battery backup. In addition to a rechargeable battery, the Svinz calendar alarm clock is backed up with replaceable watch-size batteries for additional reliability.
- Evening dimmer is still a little bright. Despite two dimming options, some users complain that the screen is very large and can still be a little too bright if placed directly next to the bed.
The Warmhoming Wooden Digital Alarm Clock is a fashionable and versatile device, and comes at a very affordable price. Similar to some of the more expensive models, it features multiple display modes, alarm sounds, and levels of brightness. The clock is also super easy to charge with any USB cord, and offers a practical battery backup option using AAA batteries.
Why We Recommend It
- Sleek, wooden design. The Warmhoming digital alarm clock features a subtle display that appears over a contemporary wooden surface, making it one of the most beautiful alarm clocks on the market.
- Multiple display modes. While the temperature and humidity are always shown, two additional display modes include year and date or only time of day, making it easy to modify to your personal aesthetic.
- Adjustable brightness levels. Most users love the smart brightness function, which automatically adjusts throughout the day. But if you like to mix it up, choose from three easily adjustable brightness levels, including dim, medium and bright.
- Three alarm sounds. You tell your alarm when to wake you up, not the other way around. Set up to three independent alarms for waking up, going to sleep, and anywhere in between.
- Battery backup included. In addition to USB charging capabilities, the Warmhoming clock also features AAA battery backup for additional reliability.
- Dim setting is still bright. Even on its lowest setting, the display can be a little bright for some.
Analog alarm clocks are generally a less expensive option but some are certainly better than others. The PeaKeep 4” Bell Alarm Clock is a great choice for anyone on a budget, featuring a traditional design, silent hands, a light-illuminated dial and a long-lasting battery. It also comes in four contemporary colors, including white, pink, green and black.
Why We Recommend It
- Multiple color options. The PeaKeep’s retro-style alarm clock comes in four different color options, including white, pink, green and black, so you can be sure to get the clock that fits your personality.
- Silent, non-ticking hands. The PeaKeeper 4” bell alarm is completely silent when you want it to be, and loud when you don’t, making it favorite among users who prefer analog devices.
- Extra loud alarm for heavy sleepers. Reviewers who have a hard time getting out of bed love this twin bell alarm, which is loud enough to wake you up, no matter how hard you sleep.
- Manual, light-illuminated dial. Some analog clocks can be difficult to see in the dark, which is why the PeaKeep alarm lights up with a single touch.
- Long-lasting battery. Users love how long the AA batteries last, getting you out of bed on time for up to four months without needing to be replaced.
- Smaller than it looks. Four inches does not sound as small as it is. The PeaKeeper 4” alarm is very compact, which also makes it great for travel.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Alarm Clock for Heavy Sleepers
Let’s face it, nobody likes getting up in the morning. But some have more trouble than others. If you find it difficult to get out of bed, then consider an alarm clock with a little extra push. Analog alarms are often the loudest, featuring a twin-bell system, but digital clocks can be creative, even forcing you to get out of bed in order to shut it off.
Not all alarm clocks are created equal, and not all people sleep the same way. For those who need a little extra motivation in the morning, the Instecho Rug Carpet is a strangely effective solution. The rug sits next to your bed and emits a louder-than-expected sound until you drag yourself out of the covers and stand on it. You can even create your own alarm by uploading audio files using any USB cord.
Why We Recommend It
- Unique, pressure-sensitive alarm. The Instecho Rug alarm is designed to get you out of bed, no matter what. You must place both feet on the rug for at least three seconds to shut it off, ensuring you never sleep in too long.
- Suprisingly loud alarm. Users love how loud this alarm can get, reaching 90-120 decibels, which sounds a lot like a blender going off on your bedside table.
- Custom alarm option. Start your morning your way by choosing your own alarm. Connect the device using a USB cable and upload any audio files you want to hear when you wake up.
- Easy to wash. Don’t worry about overuse. Just slip off the outer cover and toss it in the washing machine.
- No rechargeable batteries. The Instecho Rug requires three AAA batteries, which are easy to replace but cannot be recharged.
The PeaKeep 3” Twin Bell Alarm Clock is very compact but packs the punch of a much larger device, featuring a twin-bell design and mini hammer that are difficult to ignore. Super compact and silent when you want it to be, the clock lights up at night and only requires one AA battery.
Why We Recommend It
- Very loud for such a small device. It will not be difficult to get out of bed with the PeaKeep’s twin bell design and mini hammer.
- Easy to see at night. A lot of users mention the convenience of the luminous backlit screen, which is uncommon for analog devices, making it easy to see in dim light when you need to get up before the sun does.
- Super compact. At only three inches, the PeaKeep Twin Bell Alarm fits anywhere and is extremely easy to take on the road.
- Silent, non-ticking hands. This alarm will wake you up when it’s time, but not a minute sooner with a completely silent, two-hand design.
- No snooze function. The PeaKeep 3” alarm is not designed for sleeping in, which is a deal breaker for reviewers who like to take it slow.
- Requires one AA battery. This alarm clock does not rely on a power cord, which is generally more reliable but not always as convenient.
Best Light Alarm Clock
Wake up as nature intended with a light alarm clock. One of the most popular alternative alarm clocks available, light alarms — also known as Wake Up Day clocks — mimic the sun by slowly increasing in brightness until you are ready to get up. The best light alarms feature multiple colors, brightness, and even additional sounds when you need an extra nudge.
Alarm clocks have gotten creative, and wake up light alarm clocks have become one of the most popular options. Slowly increasing in brightness to mimic the rising sun, the LeBell Alarm features seven different color options, 10 adjustable brightness levels, as well as six alarm sounds for those who need more than a little light to get out of bed. It even includes a snooze button that will make it go dim until you are ready to begin your day.
Why We Recommend It
- Multiple color options. White light can be aggressive, which is why reviewers love the seven colors options, including white, light green, dark green, orange, purple, blue and red.
- Six alarm sounds. The LBell Alarm also features six different sounds, including ocean waves, nature, barnyard, crickets, a bubbling brook and birds singing, as well as FM radio.
- Adjustable brightness levels. Offering extreme versatility, the LeBell allows you to increase or decrease the brightness from 10% to 100%, depending on your mood and the time of day.
- Snooze alarm included. Sleep in an extra five minutes with a built-in snooze alarm function, which dims until you are ready to get up.
- Not a small device. The LBell alarm looks great but won’t fit on small bedside tables.
Best Analog Alarm Clock
Analog clocks are considered old fashioned but look great on your bedside table, and are generally louder, more compact, and less expensive than digital models. They are simple, practical, and battery operated, which makes them more reliable than clocks that require a power outlet.
Simple, practical, and well designed, the PeaKeep 4” Analog Alarm Clock is the perfect balance between classic and contemporary, and features a Gentle Wake, gradual sound increase alarm. You can get up at your own pace with a preset snooze, or jump out of bed with the touch of a button.
Why We Recommend It
- Simple, modern aesthetic. Analog clocks can seem old fashioned, but this one looks great on any tabletop with a round, cordless design that is as practical as it is attractive.
- Gentle Wake, gradual sound increase. Sometimes it’s better to take it slow. The PeaKeep alarm starts with low volume and slowly increases every eight seconds.
- Snooze alarm included. Most analog clocks do not feature a snooze button, making this the most popular choice among users who need an extra five minutes before they're ready to start their day.
- Convenient one-touch design. The PeaKeep analog alarm is easy to snooze and shut off with a single touch.
- No additional sounds. This clock features a very traditional beeping sound, not harsh but not very versatile.
- Battery operated. Like most analog clocks, the PeaKeep analog alarm clock is battery operated so it won’t be susceptible to power outages. It requires one AA battery.
Best Alarm Clock for Kids
You probably have enough trouble getting the kids to school in the morning without having to worry about getting them out of bed. Don’t do it alone, find an alarm clock that is both fun and functional, easy enough for a child to use, and loud enough to make sure they get to school on time.
Kids aren’t generally very easy to get out of bed, but fortunately, the right alarm clock can help. The GoLine Cute Pig Alarm Clock is fun and functional, featuring a 7-color LED display, three alarm options, and even three different faces to choose from. The clock also displays year, date, and time, which can help kids learn about the calendar.
Why We Recommend It
- Adorable, pig-shaped design. Reviewers love how easy it is to get kids excited about getting out of bed with a design that is as fun as it is functional.
- Multiple color display. The GoLine Pig Alarm Clock offers seven different LED static and breathing color options with touch controls. Light only is also an option, so they never get bored.
- Customizable display. Help your kids learn about telling time with multiple display options, including year and date, as well as temperature if desired.
- Three alarm sound options. Choose from three kid-friendly sounds, including “hog,” “piggy,” and “ring-ring-ring.”
- Hog sound can be intense. A strange but specific concern for some parents is the “hog” alarm option, which some find too aggressive.