BEST AIR MATTRESSES | NOVEMBER 2017
Whether you're hosting an overnight guest or want to to bring some of the comfort of home on your next camping trip, an air mattress is a perfect option. Air mattresses provide the comfort of conventional mattresses with the added convenience of portability. Our team spent hours researching air mattresses – including air mattresses for camping, air mattresses for everyday use and never-flat air mattresses – to curate the list of great options below. If you want to learn more about air mattress features, check out our handy buying guide below, which discusses air pumps, design, durability and more. Read more about our methodology.
Air Mattresses BUYING GUIDE
One of the most important features to consider when purchasing an air mattress is how efficiently it inflates and deflates. Air mattresses with built-in pumps tend to be of higher quality, and they offer more convenience for the average consumer. Built-in air pumps are also faster, inflating an air mattress in a matter of minutes. Some newer air mattresses also include pumps that can deflate the mattress, which is a huge benefit and time saver. Finally, consider whether you’ll need a power outlet to operate the air pump. If you’re taking your mattress camping, you may not have an outlet available to power the pump. Some air pumps are battery powered, but most plug in to the wall.
If you plan on using your air mattress a lot, you’ll want to purchase one that is made to be more durable. While all air mattresses are made of a similar kind of material, some are thicker and more durable than others. Durability is especially important if you plan on using the mattress long term or while you go camping. You wouldn’t want your mattress to rip accidentally and leave you without a place to sleep comfortably. The same goes for the air pump included with the mattress you purchase. Since you’ll be operating the pump often, you’ll want to make sure it will last.
Portability and Storage
Air mattresses provide a level of convenience that conventional mattresses will never be able to provide. Air mattresses can be deflated and folded up – and many come with a convenient storage and carrying bag. However, there are varying degrees of portability between air mattresses. One of the most important factors to consider in this point is the size of the mattress. Larger and thicker mattresses won’t be able to fold up as well, and will take up more room in your storage.
Size and Comfort
How big do you want your mattress to be? Air mattresses follow the same sizes as conventional mattresses, and you’ll want to consider how big your space is before purchasing one. Many air mattresses also include extra features aimed at providing a higher level of comfort, such as extra thick pillow tops or elevated headrests that act as pillows.
You can purchase a budget air mattress for less than $100. These air mattresses are typically as basic as you can get. They often include a simple air pump that usually requires a wall outlet for power and may or may not deflate the mattress. In the $100-200 range, you can get an air mattress that offers features that will satisfy most consumers. They offer more durability and comfort than budget air mattresses. Air mattresses that cost more than $200 are considered high-end and include extra features such as extra-thick top layers and firmness control.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The Etekcity air mattress is convenient, durable and comfortable. It uses a built-in air pump that quickly inflates and deflates the mattress, which is made from extra-durable and puncture-proof materials for a longer product lifespan.
Why We Recommend It
- Extra-durable materials. The Etekcity air mattress is made from an extra-durable PVC material, which makes it a long-lasting solution to your sleeping needs. On top of that, the material is puncture proof and waterproof. Combine all of these features with an extra thick top layer and you can be sure you’ll get a comfortable experience that isn’t going anywhere. This air mattress also includes a skid-free bottom so you won’t go sliding while you sleep.
- Built-in air pump. The air pump included with this air mattress is built directly into the mattresses, making it easy for you to keep track of all the parts. To power the air pump, you simply plug the unit into the wall and then turn the dial to inflate or deflate to desired level of firmness. The mattress includes a convenient storage compartment for the cord when it’s not in use.
- Easy to store. The built-in air pump helps you deflate the Etekcity air mattress completely and fold it up to store in its convenient storage bag. Once folded, the mattress doesn’t take up very much space at all. The bag is made from a thicker material, as well, which means it should hold up for as long as your air mattress.
- Good warranty. Etekcity offers a 1-year warranty for this air mattress and lifetime support for all their products. If you ever have problems, all you need to do is call in to their support line for instantaneous help.
- Doesn’t work well with fitted sheets. Because the Etekcity air mattress is a double high mattress, fitted sheets won’t fit well on it.
The Shrunks Tuckaire air mattress takes convenience and portability to the next level at an affordable price. With guard rails to prevent sleeping kids from falling off and a convenient sheet-tuck feature, this air mattress is perfect for adventurous families on a budget.
Why We Recommend It
- Sheet-tuck feature. One of the biggest selling points of the Shrunks Tuckaire air mattress is its sheet-tuck feature. Because of the unique way the air mattress is produced, you can tuck sheets into the inner mattress portion and expect them to stay put.
- Security rails. This air mattress also includes built-in side rails for security when your children are using it. These rails provide an extra level of safety and can prevent your children from falling off the bed during the night.
- Great build quality. Made from a material that is phthalate safe, BPA safe and lead safe, this air mattress is built to last and not cause any harmful effects for the person sleeping on it. It also features a squeak-free top layer so you don’t have to worry about noise when someone shifts during the night.
- Separate pump. The Shrunks Tuckaire air mattress doesn’t have a built-in air pump, which means you’ll have to deflate the mattress yourself and find a good way to store the pump in the mattress bag.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Air Mattress for Camping
Camping is all about roughing it in the wild, but that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice all comforts, especially when it comes to bedding. Air mattresses for camping are light, durable and portable, and they provide you with a level of comfort that a sleeping bag along can’t. These air mattresses also typically offer pumps with rechargeable batteries, so you don’t have to rely on power outlets to inflate the mattress while you’re camping.
The Lightspeed Outdoors air mattress is made differently than other air mattresses, due to its PVC-free materials and two-way Boston valve configuration. It also features a patented stabilizer system to help you sleep better during your camping trip. Super durable and portable, this air mattress makes a great addition to any trek outdoors.
Why We Recommend It
- Patented stabilizer system. Perhaps one of the most impressive features of this camping air mattress is its patented stabilizer system. The mattress users the stabilizers to connect the top of the mattress to the bottom of the mattress. This lessens the amount of bounce and movement you may experience when two people are sharing the mattress, and it keeps the surface of the mattress flat throughout the night for optimal comfort.
- Made from TPU. Thermoplastic polyurethane, or TPU, is a material that does not contain PVC or phthalates. This is the perfect material for air mattresses that are going to be used for camping, because it’s lighter, more durable and won’t stretch or balloon like other mattresses.
- Two-way Boston valve system. With this dual-valve set up, the Lightspeed Outdoors air mattress can be adjusted to be as firm as you would like it to be. One valve is used for inflating the mattress, and doesn’t allow air to escape. The other valve lets air in and out. This set up guarantees a great amount of flexibility for you to decide just how firm or soft you want your mattress to stay.
- Incredibly portable. The Lightspeed Outdoors air mattress weighs in at an impressive six pounds, which is much lighter than other air mattresses on the market today. It can also fold down to a much smaller size than other air mattresses, making it the perfect choice for camping.
- Slower air pump. The air pump inflates the air mattress slower than you might expect, which results in waiting a longer time for your bed to be ready.
The SoundAsleep Camping Series air mattress was designed with a single purpose in mind: providing comfort while roughing it outdoors. This air mattress is extra portable, comfortable and incredibly durable, making it the perfect choice for sleeping in tents.
Why We Recommend It
- Built for camping. The SoundAsleep Camping Series air mattress was built specifically for camping, as its name implies. This means a variety of things in this case, and you’ll find that the features are impressive for a piece of camping gear. Built with a proprietary ComfortCoil Technology, this air mattress uses I-Beam Air Coils to provide the most comfortable sleeping experience. It’s also built with extra thick materials to prevent being punctured.
- Convenient air pump. The air pump included with this air mattress is powered by a rechargeable battery, which can be recharged at home or in the car. The battery lasts for a full 24 hours, and it can inflate the mattress up to six times before needing to be recharged. Even though it’s an external pump, it can inflate the mattress in under three minutes.
- Sure-grip bottom. The last thing you want to happen while you’re sleeping in a tent is ending up squished in a corner because you’re on a slight incline. The SoundAsleep Camping Series air mattress features a “Sure-grip” bottom that prevents slipping.
- One way valve design. The air valve for this air mattress is a simple flap that allows air in or out. This design can lead to some inconvenience when trying to deflate the mattress, as it may close when you want it to stay open.
Best Air Mattress for Everyday Use
Air mattresses for everyday use provide the convenience and lower cost of an air mattress, but the comfort of a conventional mattress. Air mattresses for everyday use often include features such as extra-thick top layers and may even include advanced features such as adjustable firmness. Also, you should expect air mattresses for everyday use to be made from more durable material, which minimizes air from escaping the mattress.
The Lazer Sleep Airbed is perfect for everyday use, and it won’t disappoint on the comfort. With a built-in air pump, adjustable firmness settings and an extra thick top layer, this air mattress is built for comfort and ease of use. It’s also durable, ensuring a long life of use.
Why We Recommend It
- Extra comfortable. The Lazery Sleep Airbed is designed specifically for comfort. It features 40 internal coils to provide support by distributing your body weight evenly across the surface of the mattress. It also has a double chamber design for added comfort.
- Adjustable firmness settings. Most air mattresses require you to manually inflate and deflate your mattress until you find the firmness that is just right for you. The Lazery Sleep Airbed provides seven different firmness settings that you can try. The mattress also includes a remote with these settings, so you don’t even have to get out of bed to adjust anything.
- Durable. This air mattress has multiple layers of material that are also puncture proof. The air mattress is high quality and durable, which means it should be sticking around for however long you need it. It also features a slip proof bottom and a waterproof top.
- Built-in pump. The air pump for the Lazery Sleep Airbed is built in to the mattress itself and can inflate the air mattress in less than four minutes.
- Loud pump. The air pump is louder than those that come with other air mattresses. It emits a high-pitched sound.
The AirMattress.com Raised Air Mattress was designed to look and feel like a regular mattress. With a bed skirt and unparalleled firmness, this air mattress is perfect for everyday use. It features a built-in air pump and bed skirt.
Why We Recommend It
- Pleasing appearance. This air mattress features a hypoallergenic bamboo bed skirt, making it look like a conventional mattress on a frame. The mattress also comes with a fitted bed sheet to make you even more comfortable.
- Comfortable and built well. The AirMattress.com Air Raised Air Mattress is built for comfort. The way it’s designed encourages back support and good sleep. It’s produced with a laminated material that doesn’t stretch or collapse, creating a firm surface. The same goes for the seams of the air mattress, which is usually where leaks first develop. The laminated material helps prevent those leaks from developing, which prolongs the life of the mattress.
- Air pump versatility. With a built-in air pump, this bed can be inflated quickly and conveniently. It doesn’t have batteries, but the air mattress also includes a pinch valve that you can use to manually inflate it if you don’t have access to power.
- It may slip. The AirMattress.com Air Raised Air Mattress tends to move a little more than other mattresses over the course of a few nights of use.
Best Never-Flat Air Mattress
Never-flat air mattresses aim to tackle the biggest problems that air mattresses face: deflation. Never-flat air mattresses live up to their name and prevent deflation with a dual-pump system. One of the pumps is responsible for full inflation and deflation, while the other silently monitors the air pressure in the mattress and adjusts airflow accordingly.
The Insta-bed Air Mattress with Never-Flat Pump lives up to its name. It’s a never-flat air mattress that uses a unique, dual-pump setup to ensure the mattress always stays inflated. On top of that, the mattress is comfortable and even includes various firmness settings. It’s also portable and features a number of convenient storage options.
Why We Recommend It
- Never-flat air pump. The biggest selling point of never-flat air mattresses is their never-flat pumps. This Insta-bed Air Mattress includes two pumps, one you use to inflate and deflate the mattress, and one that consistently monitors the air pressure in the mattress and makes adjustments automatically. This secondary fan operates silently so you can still sleep comfortably.
- Adjustable firmness settings. This air mattress features three different firmness settings: plush, medium and firm. The primary pump includes an easy-to-use dial that you can turn to adjust the firmness settings to your desire.
- Portable and convenient storage. Like all air mattresses, the Insta-bed Air Mattress with Never-Flat Pump is easy to carry around. However, it also includes a convenient storage compartment for the power cord to the pumps so you don’t have to worry about storing the cord rolled up in the mattress.
- High quality build. With a no-slip bottom, advanced support and raised height, this air mattress is the pinnacle of comfort. It’s built from a durable material that’s puncture resistant and waterproof.
- Heavy. Even when deflated, the Insta-bed Air Mattress with Never-Flat Pump is heavy, weighing in at whopping 21 pounds.