BEST 4K TVS | AUGUST 2018
TVs with 4K resolution not only provide beautiful images, but most products come with extensive sets of features, such as several inputs and smart TV capabilities. Unfortunately, many devices also come with long specification lists, making research a chore. That's where we come in. Our team performed extensive research to find the best 4K TVs available. For each product, we provide the specifications, features and other considerations. Also, check out our buying guide If you aren’t sure what to look for or what features you need. Read more about our methodology.
Experience movies, TV shows, and games like never before with the LGOLED55C7P. The OLED picture quality creates crisp and detailed images and the Dolby Atmos Audio makes your entertainment come to life. Also, this TV boasts many inputs so you can connect all your favorite devices with ease.Read full review.
Experience life-like cinema and pristine images at an affordable price with this 43-inch 4K TV. It features Roku smart functionality and boasts a user-friendly interface, along with a mobile app and simplified remote, allowing you to access content without any hassle.Read full review.
Best by Category
Best Smart 4K TV
Access a variety of content within seconds with this 55-inch ultra HD TV. This 4K smart TV boasts Sony’s Android TV, and it is compatible with several Google devices. It features OLED pixels, Motionflow XR and high dynamic range (HDR) technology.Read full review.
Best 3D 4K TV
This Samsung 3D 4K TV has all the features you need including a built-in camera, curved design, and numerous inputs. With its 4K resolution, large 55-inch screen, and 3D capabilities, you’ll be able to enjoy any media with exquisite detail right from your own home.Read full review.
Best 4K TV for Gaming
Experience low lag and no blur while playing your favorite video games on this Sony 4K TV. Its fast response times keep images sharp during even the most action-packed games, and its large 65-inch screen gives you ample viewing area.Read full review.
Best Large 4K TV
Immerse yourself in your favorite media with this large 75-inch 4K TV. The overall design of this product is sturdy; the Triluminos display creates vivid colors, and Motionflow XR technology helps you enjoy big games without any blur.Read full review.
4K TVs BUYING GUIDE
OLED or LED
If you are in the market for a 4K TV, then you want a device that provides the ultimate viewing experience. Most 4K TVs, also known as ultra HD TVs, boast OLED or LED picture quality. While both products offer exceptional performance, OLED is the better of the two. In an OLED TV, each pixel is illuminated, showing complete contrast between the light and dark colors on your screen. LED LCD TVs use a LED backlight or edge light to create more defined and pure colors. While OLED TVs produce the best images, they are also the most expensive.
You should consider a TV with plenty of ports to connect all your devices. The number of inputs varies drastically by product, with some of the best TVs offering up to four HDMI ports. To ensure the TV you select offers enough inputs, count how many devices you plan to connect to your TV and the type of input required. Make sure the TV you are considering can accommodate each of those devices.
Many 4K TVs boast smart capabilities, but these functions vary greatly by brand and model. Consider products with a user-friendly interface and plenty of built-in apps for listening to music, watching shows or accessing the internet. Some products boast smart remotes that allow you to use one remote to navigate throughout all your devices, along with mobile apps that let you navigate the TV from your smartphone or tablet.
Unlike 1080p TVs – with which images appear pixilated when sitting too close to a large unit – the size of your ultra HD TV won’t affect your overall picture quality. This means you can place a large 4K TV in a small room without sacrificing picture quality. However, before you make your final purchase, you should consider the dimensions of the room and your budget as larger 4K TVs can cost several thousand dollars. Also, keep in mind TVs are measured diagonally, meaning a 55-inch TV is 55 inches from one corner to the opposite corner, not 55-inches wide or tall.
Products under $1,000 are typically LED backlit and offer smart capabilities. These products have limited connectivity options and small screen sizes. 4K TVs between $1,000 to $3,000 are your most popular models. Products in this range can vary greatly in screen size. You will also find that products on the lower end of this price range are LED lit while higher-priced options boast OLED pixels. Devices costing more than $3,000 offer the most features, connectivity options and OLED picture quality. Products 65-inches and larger will most likely be available in this price range.
FULL product reviews
We research hundreds of products in order to bring you a final, unbiased list of the very best. We also use a proprietary algorithm to score each product in terms of quality, value, and brand reputation. These subscores are then weighted to calculate our overall scores. Read more about how we calculate our scores.
The LG OLED55C7P is the full package and the perfect option for a cinephile. Not only does this ultra HD TV boast OLED pixels, but it also features high dynamic range (HDR) technology, which provides exquisite colors and details to all your images. You’ll enjoy a home theater feel with this 4K TV’s Dolby audio, and a user-friendly interface lets you access media and adjusts settings with ease. This 4K TV boasts numerous connectivity options — more inputs than most products we evaluated — and its smart functions let you access a variety of media and entertainment in an instant.
Why We Recommend It
- OLED pixels. The pixels on this TV screen are individually lit, providing deep color contrast. OLED pixels create more pure colors, delivering outstanding picture quality no matter your media.
- Dolby Atmos Audio. If you don’t have a sound system for this TV, don’t worry, the Dolby audio included with this device provides for a theater-like experience right in your own home.
- Numerous connectivity options. Connect all your favorite devices to this TV with its dozen inputs. This TV boasts four HDMI, three USB, one RF, one composite, one Ethernet, one optical and one mini jack port.
- User-friendly interface. This 4K TV features smart capabilities, allowing you to easily access music, games, Netflix, and apps right from the TV’s main screen. Plus, it includes a Magic Remote, allowing you to navigate through all your media without any hassle.
- May require intense calibration. While this 4K TV has much to offer users, you may not see its full potential until you spend a significant amount of time calibrating its settings.
- Expensive. This LG TV is more expensive than other 55-inch 4K TVs on the market. You will pay a hefty price tag for this product, but it does offer numerous features that similar products lack.
The TCL 43S405 is an excellent option for buyers who want outstanding picture quality but don’t want to pay thousands of dollars. This 43-inch TV boasts high dynamic range technology, is LED lit and features a handful of connectivity options including three HDMI ports. It is the perfect pick for users who want an ample amount of smart functions. However, if sound quality is a high priority, you’ll want to keep looking.
Why We Recommend It
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) technology. You’ll experience a more visual experience whether you are watching a football game or an action movie. With this technology, the images come to life no matter what you are watching.
- Built-in Roku. This TCL TV features a built-in Roku, which provides more than 4,000 media channels. You have access to thousands of movies and TV shows without any additional devices.
- Excellent search capabilities. Built-in search features allow you to easily sort through hundreds of channels to find your favorite media within seconds. You can search by title, actor, channel or director. A mobile app lets you easily search and navigate through this TV’s interface or you can utilize the included remote.
- 43-inch screen size. While the price is good on this 4K TV, the screen size is small. This TV may be ideal for a bedroom or a kitchen, but you may want a larger TV as your main unit.
- Poor sound quality. This product offers adequate sound for basic television programming. However, if you enjoy watching a lot of movies and TV shows, you should consider purchasing an additional speaker system.
BEST BY CATEGORY
Best Smart 4K TV
You should buy a smart 4K TV if you want to stream movies, listen to music or even play games within your TVs interface. These devices have a built-in Internet connection, making it easy for you to access all your favorite media. Many TVs, particularly in the 4K TV price range, boast smart functionality, but each model’s interface, app selection, and device compatibility will differ, and the best products will offer you the most features without raising the price tag.
This Sony ultra HD TV is an excellent pick for buyers who are willing to pay a little extra for powerful smart capabilities and outstanding picture quality. This 4K TV showcases Sony’s Android TV and is compatible with Google Home so searching and accessing your favorite content doesn’t require much effort. Not only can you access a myriad of entertainment, but the images are some of the best on the market due to this TV’s OLED pixels, high dynamic range (HDR) technology, and Motionflow XR.
Why We Recommend It
- Outstanding picture quality. This Sony 4K TV produces some of the best images you’ll find on this type of device. It boasts OLED pixels, meaning each pixel illuminates, resulting in sharper and crisper contrast between colors. Additionally, this device features high dynamic range (HDR) technology and Motionflow XR, which prevents blurry and soft images.
- Captivating acoustic surface. Instead of small speakers located beneath the display screen, the sound emits throughout the entire screen, boosting the entire sound range and quality. You won’t have to worry about purchasing an additional sound system for this device.
- Access to all types of content. Using Sony’s Android TV, this smart TV lets you access all types of entertainment including music, videos, and games.
- Compatible with numerous Google devices. Using a Google Home device, you can use voice control features to find and play content without lifting a finger. You can also search for media using mobile devices — such as your smartphone or tablet — or the included remote.
- Some lag time. While navigating throughout the features and settings of this TV, you may experience some lag, making the TV seem slow and causing you frustration.
Best 3D 4K TV
If you want to take your viewing experience to the next level, you should consider a 4K TV with 3D functionality. With a standard HD TV, you sacrifice a significant amount of image quality when utilizing 3D capabilities. However, the high resolution and crisp images on the 4K TV let you experience detailed, vibrant and crisp images. Many 4K TVs feature passive 3D capabilities, meaning you use 3D glasses — like those in a movie theater — to enjoy the benefits of 3D.
This Samsung TV is an excellent pick for buyers who want beautiful images whether watching the news or the latest 3D movie. Boasting 4K resolution, backlit LED pixels, UHD upscaling and a curved design, the picture seems larger and clearer than on similar devices. Even better, this product comes with many advanced capabilities including a built-in camera, motion control, a smart remote and several connectivity options.
Why We Recommend It
- Curved design. The curved 55-inch screen creates the illusion of a large screen. The images on this TV will seem larger than what is truly being featured on its 55-inch screen.
- Upscaling options. No matter the type of content you can view, this TV can upscale and convert content to UHD-level picture quality. It can convert SD, HD or full HD media.
- Voice and motion control features. The smart capabilities surpass many other products due to its voice and motion control features. You can set up the TV to search and navigate through its features and settings using only your voice, or by turning on the built-in camera and using hand gestures.
- 10 inputs. Utilize all your favorite tech gadgets using this TV’s numerous inputs. This TV boasts four HDMI, three USB, one component and two composite inputs.
- Reports of picture distortion. While the curved screen can add to the picture quality, several users report images on the edge of the screen can appear distorted and the overall picture quality on this 4K TV is not as sharp as other products on the market.
Best 4K TV for Gaming
If you are a gamer, you understand the importance of vivid images, low lag, and excellent sound. 4K TVs for gaming are worth considering as the best products provide clear images and exquisite detail. Many devices feature HDR — High Dynamic Range — which enhances the color, detail and brightness of each image. Most importantly, the best products feature low input lag, which is the amount of time it takes the TV to produce images after it receives the image data.
The Sony XBR65X900E is easily one of the best 4K TVs for competitive gamers. Not only does its 4K resolution provide amazing picture quality but it boasts Motionflow XR, preventing blurry images on the screen. This ultra HD TV features low input lag, ensuring all commands are followed instantly. This device also features a 65-inch display screen with smart functionality, so you have a large view and can easily access games, movies, and music.
Why We Recommend It
- Fast response times. No time is wasted when executing commands or waiting for graphics to load with the low input times available on this product. While it doesn’t boast the lowest input times available on a 4K TV, it is low enough to make even the most competitive gamer happy.
- Excellent motion handling. Boasting Motionflow XR, there is very little — if any — motion blur during action-packed video games and movies. You can even enjoy watching sports games without blurry visuals.
- Plenty of inputs. Connect all your devices with ease due to this product’s four HDMI, two USB 2.0, one USB 3.0, one component/composite hybrid and one composite input.
- Large display screen. This TV boasts a large 65-inch display screen, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in your video game, movie or other media.
- Additional sound bar is recommended. If you want to fully immerse yourself in your video games, purchasing additional sound equipment may be necessary.
- No OLED pixels. While the 4K resolution still provides outstanding picture quality, this is a LED TV, not an OLED TV, so you don’t receive quite the contrast that OLED TVs offer.
Best Large 4K TV
You should consider purchasing a large 4K TV if you are looking for a theater-like experience and have a large space. These devices are typically 65-inches or larger, yet still boast the powerful, high-resolution that 4K TVs offer. Unfortunately, while 4K TVs are already fairly costly, these larger devices come with high price tags. You can easily pay more than $5,000 for one of these products.
If you want a large TV but don’t want to sacrifice image quality, this Sony 4K TV is worth your consideration. It features Motionflow XR, high dynamic range (HDR) technology, and an X1 processor to ensure images are sharp, detailed and crisp — regardless of the type of content you are viewing. It boasts smart capabilities and a user-friendly interface so you can access content instantly. Additionally, its Triluminos display creates vivid colors and creates bright, refreshing images on the large screen.
Why We Recommend It
- Not much blur. Using high dynamic range (HDR) technology and Motionflow XR, you can enjoy any sporting event, action movie or video game with sharp, well-defined images the entire time.
- Triluminos display. Blues, greens, and reds are vivid, bright and deep, and enhance an entire picture.
- Durable design. This product features a durable base, which keeps the TV upright and sturdy even when bumped.
- Smart commands. You can access videos, music, and games using dozens of included apps on this TV. Additionally, it is also compatible with Google Chromecast so you can share what’s on your compatible mobile device directly on to the TV.
- Voice search. While the interface of this device is extremely user-friendly, you can find content even faster using its voice search capabilities. You don’t need a remote or additional device to find what you are looking for, just speak, and the TV will do all the work.
- Experience some lag. You may notice some lag between commands on this TV. This was a common complaint among users.